Fix: 3G USB Dongle Doesn’t Install Properly in Windows 10
Those of you who have tried installing a 3G USB dongle on your Windows 10 computer might have encountered some issues after you restarted or shutdown the operating system.
So, for more information on this topic, check out the tutorial below for detailed explanations on how to fix your 3G USB dongle in Windows 10.
The installation seems to work fine the first time around but after you reboot your Windows 10 OS and plug the 3G Dongle USB, the installation starts again. However, this time the computer won’t recognize the device.
Perhaps the drivers might not be compatible with your Windows 10 OS, so we will first try to install them in compatibility mode and then do some additional tweaks in order to get the 3G USB Dongle drivers up and running.
Fix your 3G USB dongle in Windows 10
- Uninstall the USB Dongle driver
- Keep your 3G USB Dongle permanently connected
- Run Windows Update
- Run the Hardware and Devices Troubleshooter
- Temporarily disable your antivirus/firewall
- Contact your 3G USB Dongle manufacturer
1. Uninstall the USB Dongle driver
- Go to Start < launch Run
- In the Run dialog box, enter “devmgmt.msc” without the quotes
- Press the “Enter” key on the keyboard
- Now that the Device Manager window is on the screen, locate your 3G USB Dongle driver on the left side panel (it should be located under Modems)
- Right click on it > select the “Uninstall” feature
- After you uninstalled the USB Dongle driver, reboot your Windows 10 system
- When the device starts copying the executable file of the 3G USB dongle on your desktop > right click on the executable file
- Select the “Properties” feature from the menu that appears
- Select the “Compatibility” tab located in the upper side of the Properties window
- Select the option “Run this program in compatibility mode for”
- From the drop down menu, select the operating system on which this driver for the USB Dongle worked
- Hit Apply > OK
- Now, right click on the executable file of the driver and select the “Run as Administrator” option
- Follow the on-screen instructions to finish the installation process
- Reboot the Windows 10 operating system > check to see if your 3G USB Dongle is working properl.
2. Keep your 3G USB Dongle permanently connected
Keep the 3G Dongle USB always plugged in your Windows 10 system when you reboot the device.
- If you install the driver with the 3G Dongle USB plugged in and you keep it there, you should not have any issues if you reboot the operating system.
- If you unplug the USB Dongle from the device and reboot the operating system you, will be asked again for an installation and you might encountered further errors.
- Keep in mind that this is not a permanent solution but until we get a stable version of the driver that is compatible with Windows 10, you will have make do with this solution.
3. Run Windows Update
Make sure that you’re running the latest OS version on your computer. It is worth mentioning that Windows Update automatically installs the latest drivers on your machine, so you can also use this solution to update your 3G USB Dongle’s drivers.
Go to Settings > Update & Security > Windows Update > hit the ‘Check for updates’ button.
4. Run the Hardware and Devices Troubleshooter
Windows 10 also features a built-in tool that you can use to automatically fix hardware issues. Launch the troubleshooter to see if it manages to fix your 3G USB Dongle problem.
Go to Settings > Update & Security > Troubleshoot > run the Hardware and Devices Troubleshooter
5. Temporarily disable your antivirus/firewall
If the problem persists, try turning off your antivirus and firewall during the install process. You can then enable antivirus protection as soon as you’ve installed the 3G UBS Dongle.
Your antivirus and firewall may somehow identify the USB Dongle or its drivers as a threat and block installation. Let us know if this quick solution worked for you.
6. Contact your 3G USB Dongle manufacturer
If nothing worked, try contacting your dongle’s manufacturer for support. They will offer your more information on how you can quickly fix this problem and enable Internet connection on your PC.
There you have some temporary workarounds to fix the 3G Dongle USB issues at least until the manufacturer of the 3G Dongle releases a stable version of the driver compatible with Windows 10.
Also, if you need further help regarding this subject, please write us in the comments below and we will help you as soon as possible.
If you are looking to buy a new 3G dongle for your Windows 10 device, here are some of the best options currently available. Or if you’re looking for extra speeds, then you definitely need to go for a 4G dongle.
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published in March 2015 and has been since completely revamped and updated for freshness, accuracy, and comprehensiveness.
- The Creators Update breaks Mobile Broadband USB dongles [FIX]
- Fix internet problems with Wireless adapters incompatible with Windows 10
- FIX: USB Wi-Fi adapter is not connecting to the Internet
The PDF format is one of the most popular file formats in the world. That’s why it is absolutely essential to have an excellent PDF […]
Even if you live in one of the most developed countries in the world, where everything seems to work perfectly, computer privacy is often under […]
The thought of producing EDM (electronic dance music) may have crossed your mind several times especially if you are a content creator, budding music artist […]