- It's possible that you've encountered issues when installing a 3G USB dongle and restarting your PC.
- Fixing the problems is easier than you thought, so take a look at our guide.
- Visit the Utilities & Tools section for some inspiration on the devices you need in your digital life.
- Refer to the Troubleshooting Hub to become an expert in fixing common software errors.
Those of you who have tried installing a 3G USB dongle on a Windows 10 computer might have encountered some issues after you restarted or shut down the operating system.
The installation seems to work fine at first, but after rebooting your Windows 10 OS and plugging the 3G USB dongle back in, the installation restarts. However, this time the computer won’t recognize the device.
So check out the tutorial below for detailed explanations on how to get the 3G USB dongle work on Windows 10.
How can I fix 3G USB dongle issues on Windows 10?
- Temporarily disable your antivirus/firewall
- Reinstall the USB Dongle driver
- Keep your 3G USB Dongle permanently connected
- Run Windows Update
- Run the Hardware and Devices Troubleshooter
- Contact your 3G USB Dongle manufacturer
1. Temporarily disable your antivirus/firewall
Your antivirus and firewall may somehow identify the USB dongle or its drivers as a threat and block installation.
So first, try turning off your antivirus and firewall during the installation process. You can then enable antivirus protection as soon as you’ve installed the 3G UBS Dongle.
If this works, you should consider switching to an alternative antivirus solution – preferably one that doesn’t affect the functioning of other programs. After all, it’s important that your device stays protected while installing new apps or features on your device.
Our recommendation in this particular case is VIPRE Antivirus Plus, a lightweight, easy-to-use software that will ensure full, real-time protection for your system.
Unlike other similar software, Vipre comes with only a few, but very efficient features. Besides excelling when it comes to detecting and blocking threats, it won’t compromise the functioning of other processes.
VIPRE Antivirus Plus
Choose this powerful antivirus that protects your system without blocking the installations of new apps or features.
2. Reinstall the USB Dongle driver
- Go to Start and launch Run.
- In the Run dialog box, enter devmgmt.msc and press Enter.
- In the Device Manager window, locate your 3G USB Dongle driver (it should be located under Modems).
- Right-click on it and select Uninstall.
- Reboot your Windows 10 device.
- Right-click on the 3G USB dongle executable file when the device starts copying it.
- In the menu, select the Properties.
- Go to the Compatibility tab.
- Select Run this program in compatibility mode for.
- From the drop-down menu, select the operating system on which this driver for the USB Dongle worked.
- Hit Apply.
- Now, right-click on the driver executable file and select Run as Administrator.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to finish the installation process.
- Reboot the device and check to see if your 3G USB Dongle is working properly.
Nothing happens when you click on Run as administrator? Don’t worry, we’ve got the right solution for you.
- READ MORE: Can’t install your 3G dongle driver? Check out this detailed guide to quickly fix the issue.
3. Keep your 3G USB dongle permanently connected
Keep the 3G Dongle USB always plugged in your Windows 10 system when you reboot the device:
Apparently, if you install the driver with the 3G USB dongle plugged in and you keep it there, you should not have any issues if you reboot the operating system.
If you unplug the USB dongle from the device and reboot the operating system, you will be asked again to install it and you might encounter further errors.
4. Run Windows Update
Make sure that you’re running the latest OS version on your computer.
It is worth mentioning that Windows Update automatically installs the latest drivers on your machine, so you can also use this solution to update your 3G USB dongle drivers.
What you have to do is to manually hit the Check for updates button in the Update & Security section of your system Settings.
If you can’t launch the Setting app, take a look at this article to solve the issue.
5. Run the Hardware and Devices Troubleshooter
- In your device Settings, go to Update & Security.
- Select Troubleshoot in the left-side menu.
- Scroll down to Hardware and Devices and click on Run the troubleshooter.
In the less likely situation that the Troubleshooter stops before completing the process, use this guide to give it a push.
6. Contact your 3G USB dongle manufacturer
If nothing worked, try contacting your dongle’s manufacturer for support. They will offer you more information on how you can quickly fix this problem and enable Internet connection on your PC.
If you are looking to buy a new 3G dongle for your Windows 10 device, here are some of the best options currently available. Or if you’re looking for extra speeds, then you definitely need to go for a 4G dongle.
So these are a few solutions to fix the 3G USB dongle issues. We hope at least one worked for you.
Also, if you need further help regarding this subject, please write us in the comments section below and we will help you as soon as possible.