Adobe’s forum includes posts about a “This document could not be printed” error that pops up for some users. That error message pops up for Adobe Acrobat users when they try to print PDF documents.
Consequently, the users can’t print PDFs with the software. This is how Acrobat users can fix the “This document could not be printed” error.
Potential Fixes for Printing Errors in Adobe Acrobat
1. Select the Print As Image Option
Some Acrobat users have confirmed that selecting the Print As Image option fixes the “could not be printed” error. A PDF document might contain images and fonts that can’t be rendered. Selecting Print As Image prints the PDF as a rasterized image of the document instead. Acrobat users can select the Print As Image setting as follows.
- First, open the PDF document that doesn’t print in Acrobat.
- Click File and Print to open the window shown in the image directly below.
- Press the Advanced button to open further options.
- Select the Print As Image option on the Advanced Print Setup window.
- Click the OK button.
- Then press the Print button.
2. Remove Documents From the Print Queue
There might be some documents stuck in the printer queue. If so, emptying the print queue could fix the “could not be printed” error. Follow the guidelines below to clear the print queue in Windows 10.
- Open Cortana by clicking Type here to search on the taskbar.
- Enter the keyword ‘printer’ in the search box.
- Then click Printers and Scanners to open the window shown directly below.
- Select the printer you’re trying to print the PDF with.
- Press the Open queue button to open the window directly below.
- Click Printer > Cancel All Documents if there are documents in the queue.
- Restart Windows after clearing the print queue.
3. Update the Printer Driver
The “could not be printed” error could be due to an outdated or corrupted printer driver. If so, updating the printer driver will probably resolve the issue. To do that, add Driver Booster 6 to Windows by clicking Free Download on the software’s website.
The software scans for antiquated drivers upon launch. If the scan results include a printer driver, click the Update Now button.
4. Turn Off PDF/A View Mode
- Turning PDF/A View Mode off has fixed the “could not be printed” error for some Acrobat users. To do that, click Edit > Preferences in Acrobat.
- Click Documents on the Preferences window to open the settings shown directly below.
- Select Never on the PDF/A View Mode drop-down menu.
- Then press the OK button.
- Open and print the PDF in Acrobat.
5. Open the Document in Google Chrome or Alternative PDF Software
This resolution is more of a workaround than a fix. Remember that you can print the PDF from alternative software. So, try opening the document in Google Chrome or another browser that supports the PDF format.
To do that, right-click the PDF file you need to print and select Open with > Google Chrome. That will open the PDF in Chrome. Then users can click the Print button to print out the document.
Alternatively, users can print from alternative PDF software. Foxit Reader, PDF Annotation Lite, and Xodo are three notable alternatives to Adobe Acrobat. Click the Free Foxit Reader Download button on Foxit’s website to save the installer for that software. Then open the Foxit Reader’s setup wizard to add the software to Windows.
6. Convert the PDF to a DOCX Document
Acrobat users can also convert the PDFs they need to print to Word DOCX documents. Then users can open the documents in MS Word, or other word processors, to print them. Follow the guidelines below to convert a PDF to DOCX format.
- Open the PDF to DOCX page in a browser.
- Select the PDF to DOCX tab.
- Press the Upload Files button to select a PDF to convert.
- Then select Download All to save the new DOCX document to a folder.
- The document downloads as a compressed ZIP. Users can extract it by opening the ZIP in File Explorer, clicking Extract all, and pressing Extract.
- Thereafter, open the DOCX document in a word processor and print it from there.
Those are some of the best resolutions for fixing the “could not be printed” error. However, Acrobat users can also open a support case at adobe.com if further fixes are required.
RELATED ARTICLES TO CHECK OUT:
- Fix: PDF files not printing properly in Windows 10
- How to fix Adobe Reader error 109
- Fix: PDF files won’t open in Windows 10