- Trying to launch Among Us, but it black screens onPC?
- Many players encountered the issue of Among Us not working on PC and said switching tabs helped them out.
- Others stated that disabling their antivirus and firewall helped when Among us didn't work.
- If all else fails, reinstalling Among Us could be used as a last resort.
Among Us is a popular multiplayer PC game available on Steam. Unfortunately for some users, Among Us black screens when launched from the Steam client and the PC desktop shortcut.
Among Us can stop working on PC due to several reasons. To fix the issue, check your firewall and antivirus, troubleshoot the home network, or check for server issues.
In this article, let’s take a look at a few troubleshooting steps to help you fix the Among Us not working on PC issues.
- What can I do if Among Us black screens on PC?
- 1. Switch out of the game
- 2. Verify the integrity of game files
- 3. Choose a different game server (if it black screens when joining a server)
- 4. Check for permission issues
- 5. Run the game using Android emulator software
- 6. Disable antivirus and firewall
- 7. Reinstall Among Us
What can I do if Among Us black screens on PC?
1. Switch out of the game
- Press the Alt + Tab key on your keyboard.
- Select a different open window.
- Next, press the Alt + Tab key again and select Steam/Among Us window.
If you are experiencing black screen issues after launching the game, try switching between the windows.
If that does not work, check if the issue is triggered due to screen resolution conflict. Make sure you are in the Among Us black screen window and hit Alt + Enter to open the game in Windowed mode.
How we test, review and rate?
We have worked for the past 6 months on building a new review system on how we produce content. Using it, we have subsequently redone most of our articles to provide actual hands-on expertise on the guides we made.
For more details you can read how we test, review, and rate at WindowsReport.
If the game works, enter Alt + Enter to make it a full window.
2. Verify the integrity of game files
- Launch Steam on your PC.
- Open the Library tab.
- Right-click on Among Us and select Properties.
- Open the Local Files tab in the Properties window.
- Click the Verify integrity of game files button.
- Wait for Steam to verify and fix any issues with the game files.
- Relaunch Steam and check if Among Us launches without any issues.
Sometimes the game files can get corrupted while the game is being updated and might cause Among Us to black screen on PC. Steam has a special feature that verifies your game data and replaces any faulty files.
3. Choose a different game server (if it black screens when joining a server)
- Launch Among Us on Steam.
- Click the Globe icon in the bottom right corner.
- Select a different server depending on the region.
- Trying joining a game again and check for any improvements.
Changing the in-game server is useful if you see a game full error when joining a lobby. However, make sure to choose a server that is closer to your region. Selecting a region that is not closer to your location can cause high ping and disconnection issues.
4. Check for permission issues
- Right-click on the Among Us .exe file from the desktop shortcut or installation folder.
- Select Properties.
- In the Properties window, open the Compatibility window.
- Under the Settings section, check Run this program as an administrator box.
- Click Apply and then click OK to save the changes.
- Relaunch Steam and open Among Us to see if that helps you resolve the issue.
If the game is crashing at launch, it could be due to GPU overclocking issues. Several users have reported that restoring their GPU frequencies to factory default has fixed the crashing issue on PC. You can read more on Among Us crashing and freezing here.
5. Run the game using Android emulator software
Another good way to ensure Among Us works is installing LD Player. The software is an Android Emulator which is meant to create a fake android mobile phone inside your PC, so you can play the Google Play specific games on your system.
If you are looking for the best mobile emulator on the market, LD Player is the choice for you, having features such as multi-instance gaming, support for both AMD and Intel processors, and mouse and keyboard compatibility to give you a head start in your games
In addition, the software is compatible with the most popular android games out there, such as PUBG Mobile, Mobile Legends, Clash of Clans, and Among Us.
Simply download the software and set up your virtual phone, install the game you wish to play, and enjoy a quality experience.
6. Disable antivirus and firewall
- Press the Windows key + I.
- In the Windows Settings window, find Update & Security and select it.
- Open Windows Security, then click to open Firewall and Network Protection.
- Open Public profile.
- Toggle the switch to turn off Windows Defender Firewall. Click yes to proceed if prompted by UAC.
After disabling the firewall, check your antivirus. Disable the antivirus temporarily from the system tray. This should help you figure out if security programs are blocking the connection. Make sure to enable the firewall and antivirus after troubleshooting the problem.
7. Reinstall Among Us
- Launch Steam client on your PC.
- Open the Library tab from the top.
- Right-click on Among Us from the list of installed games.
- Select Manage > Uninstall.
- Click the Delete button once more, and that’s it.
- Once uninstalled, restart your PC.
- Launch Steam and download Among Us.
Among Us can stop working on your PC for many reasons. However, we have listed the most common reason and the fixes that should help you get back online and find the imposter.
These were the possible fixes that would make Among Us work on your PC. The game is not demanding, so it should work on any device. Give these a try, because they will surely help you out.
If you have anything to add regarding Among Us, feel free to say it in the comment section below.