If Arduino port is not showing up on your PC then reading this article will be very helpful to you. Development boards like the SparkFun RedBoard for Arduino require special drivers or code that lets your PC interact with them.
This guide is here to help you resolve Arduino port not showing up the issue by teaching you how to properly update, and install Arduino port drivers on your Windows, or Mac operating system.
These methods apply to both the Arduino Uno SMD, the SparkFun RedBoard for A, and the Arduino Uno.
How do I make Arduino port display on Mac and Windows?
If you are operating a Windows system, and your Arduino drivers are not up to date you will usually get Arduino ports not showing up. If this is the case update using these steps below.
- Go to Start Menu, and type Device Manager on the search bar.
- Click the Device Manager icon to open a new window.
- Scroll down to Other Devices and click on to expand.
- Double click the unknown Arduino Uno device for properties window to display.
- Select the Driver tab, and click Update Driver
- Choose the search automatically for updated driver software option.
- Windows will begin to update.
- After the update is done. Windows has successfully updated your driver software will be displayed on your screen.
- Run a final check to be sure the driver was updated correctly.
If this method does not help you, you will have to reinstall the Arduino driver to fix the issue. The next solutions will show you the right ways to install the driver on Windows and macOS.
When an Arduino board is plugged into a Windows computer, a driver will be installed automatically for it to be able to communicate properly with your computer. The Arduino will be configured as a virtual COM port by the driver, and this can be found in the Device Manager.
- On your Windows computer Go to Start Menu and click the search bar.
- Type Control Panel. and click on the control panel icon to open it.
- When the Control panel window opens, navigate to System Security.
- Next, Choose System. When the System window displays, click the Device Manager to open.
- Check options under Ports COM & LPT. You will see an open port labeled Arduino UNO COMxx.
- Right-click on the Arduino UNO COmxx
- Next select Update Driver Software option.
- continue, by clicking the Browse my computer for driver software option.
- In the window for browsing file, Navigate to the driver folder of the Arduino software, locate Arduino.inf driver file and click on it select.
- After selecting the file, click Ok.
- Windows will round up the installation for the driver After clicking Ok.
Install Arduino driver on Mac
- On your Mac OS go to the file FTDIUSBSerialDriver_v2_2_18.dmg file that was downloaded to your computer.
- Open the file by double-clicking on it.
- you will see two files If you are using the driver for OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion.
- Open up the driver file that matches your operating system
- It will be the second file for most users.
- wait for it to finish installing.
- Next click Close.
- Do a final check by opening the Arduino IDE.
- Go to Tools -> Serial Port if you see a usbserial option then you are all set.
If you do not know the version of OS X you have got, click on the apple icon in the top left corner t of your screen, and select About This Mac, your OS X version will be displayed.
Hopefully, this guide provided answers you were looking for to resolve Arduino port not showing up.