In the past, the only way to grade a paper or an essay, was to take every sheet of paper and analyze it from top to bottom while making notes and correcting mistakes.
This is a highly inefficient way to deal with this task, but as computers intelligence is rapidly evolving, now we have a great range of PC tools with an ever greater range of features.
Using this type of software makes it easier than ever for teachers to focus on other important aspects of teaching, and also provides them with an efficient way to gradeessays.
In this article, we will explore some of the best software options on the market that can be set up to allow automated essay grading for both teachers and students that want to check their essays before presenting it.
Project Essay Grade (PEG)
Project Essay Grade by Measurement Incorporated (MI), is a great automated grading software that uses AI technology to read, understand , process and give you results.
By the use of the advanced statistical techniques found in this software, PEG can analyze written prose, make calculations based on more than 300 measurements (fluency, diction, grammar, construction, etc.), and can obtain results that look very similar to what a human analyzer would get – reliability and validity.
PEG also incorporates some of the latest leading technologies in areas like the natural language processing, semantic and syntactic analysis to offer you fully automated grading without seeming that it is done by a computer.
As in the case of most automated grading software, PEG uses a set of essays that were corrected by humans as a base of information. Starting from this base of information, PEG can use its artificial intelligence and assess how the essay was written, automatically. After the process of analysis is completed, PEG uses the data obtained to create statistical and linguistic models. The models obtained will used by the AI, to better understand the text written in the paper.
Project Essay Grade released different version of this software to better suit specific situations :
PEG Writing – is an online learning environment that also allows students to improve on their essay-writing skills by the use of practice and guided support, and can also be used to grade your own papers before actually sending them to your teacher.
- Can submit responses 24/7, to different prompts at school or home
- After checking your paper, you get instant feedback with recommended activities
- Graphic organizers
- Interactive tutorials
- Student portfolios – allows you to keep tabs on your own progress
- Can exchange feedback with classmates by using peer review
- Customization options – accessibility, font size, background color, etc.
- Provides students feedback on the Six Traits of Writing
PEG Writing can also be used by teachers to track the progress of each student, and it also allows them to focus on students individual needs. There are a good range of features offered by PEG Writing for teachers.
Here are some of them:
- Wide range of built-in writing prompts
- Create new writing prompts – custom prompts with or without stimulus
- Easily assign tutorial exercises based on the need of each students or classroom type
- Personalized feedback – virtual sticky notes, text/chat
- Peer editing tool – students can give and receive feedback
- Can grade essays and offer text evident
- Easy to track the progress of your students
- Student enrollment manager
- Built-in writing prompts
— Editor’s Note: If you’re interested in other writing software, check out our wide collection of guides.
PEG Writing Scholar
This version of PEG was designed for higher education and it allows students to submit their essay and get instant feedback.
One of the best features of this version of PEG is the fact that students can get feedback based on the Six traits of Writing, and is also available anywhere and anytime, because it uses the incorporated artificial intelligence technology. This app helps adult learners develop their writing skills.
Some notable features :
- Peer review – improves student collaboration
- Graphic organizers
- Automatic and manual feedback features
- Built-in custom prompts – can be used as benchmarks to evaluate your students writing skills
- Revision tools – allows students to independently verify their essay drafts
ETS e-Rater Scoring Engine
This application is a automated writing evaluation engine that can easily automate the evaluation of your essays. This software uses a combination between human raters and AI capabilities to offer clear results, fast.
This tool can also be used in a variety of learning contexts, such as in classrooms, presentations, etc., and can be used to generate individualized feedback or can be used to batch process the essays your students presented.
Notable features of e-Rater include:
- Can find grammar errors
- Preposition selection
- Mechanics automated capitalization
- Can analyze the style of text based on how many times a word is repeated
- Can analyze the discourse structure – thesis statement, main points, etc.
- Vocabulary usage features – analyzes the sophistication of the writers’ vocabulary
- Can analyze the sentence variety and source use
- Automatic detection of off-topic responses
- Different writing tasks with lab reports
Knowledge Analysis Technologies (KAT) by Pearson
KAT is another great automated essay grading software that is based on decades of research. This application can produce consistent and accurate automated results and can be easily integrated with a wide range of third-party services.
Inside KAT, you will find the Latent Semantic Analysis (LSA) feature, that allows you to compare semantic similarities between words, passages or even larger texts.
Another great feature of the KAT system is the Intelligent Essay Assesor (IEA). This is an internet-based tool that uses the KAT’s powerful engine to automatically evaluate the meaning of the text, grammar,style, and also the mechanics of your text structure. IEA can also be used in tests with a large number of constructed responses, offering results at the level of professional human scorers.
The powerful KAT engine analyzes your essay using a combination between both LSA and IEA features.
- LSA – Latent Semantic Analysis – algebra matrix based that can be used in automatic speech recognition, computer linguistics, etc.
- IEA – Can understand and evaluate texts much as a human being would, and can be used to evaluate essays, and other mechanical aspects of writing. This feature can evaluate essays based on the six traits of writing : ideas, organization of text, conventions, the fluency of sentences, the choice of words, etc.
Some other notable features that can be found in the Knowledge Analysis Technologies engine from Pearson include:
- RMM (Reading Maturity Metric) – automatically evaluate the reading level of your essay
- Versant Technology – can analyze speech in order to differentiate between native and non-native speakers
In this article, we explored some of the best automated essay grading software on the market in 2019. This list covers a wide range of needs, and can be very helpful for both teachers and students.
Students can use this type of software to correct any mistakes before sending the essays to their teachers, and the teachers can focus on more important tasks like students engagement.
With the help of this type of automated software, it is easier than ever to correct a large number of papers, check for any possible plagiarism issues, and also offers a good overview of all the completed tasks.
What software option did you chose from this list and why ? Let us know in the comment section below.
RELATED GUIDES YOU NEED TO CHECK OUT:
- Script writing software: The best tools for writing movie scripts
- Top 5 distraction-free writing tools for Windows 10
- 7 best homeschooling software for Windows PC
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published in January 2019 and has been since updated for freshness, and accuracy.