- Some users are interested in disabling Windows 11 background apps because it seems like they can slow down the PC performance
- The easiest way to perform this action is through the Settings menu.
- Task Manager allows you to disable traditional desktop programs from running in the background.
- To turn off specific background apps, the Local Group Policy Editor can also support you.
Having an interactive digital environment is cool but it can also make your PC slower. A background app continues performing actions even when you are not actively in its specific window.
It seems like users are interested in finding how to disable background apps in Windows 11. These are part of the latest UI design, which is just one of the new features that matter in Windows 11.
All users need to improve their PC performance. Apart from the hardware upgrade, you’ll always have to take care of the running apps on your computer.
Why should I disable the Windows 11 background apps?
In Windows 11, most of those apps will run in the background at all times by default. And this is happening even most users are not using them.
Running background apps implies using an important portion of your system resources (RAM, CPU cycles, etc.). This might make your device work a little slower than it would if they weren’t enabled in the background.
In addition, some background apps can also use lots of Internet data. This is a harmful aspect especially if you’re using a limited data plan.
And considering that Windows 11 doesn’t support old devices as we thought, these problems are much worse for aged machines.
How can I easily turn off background apps in Windows 11?
1. Use Apps Settings
- Hit the Windows key, then open the Settings menu.
- Click on Apps, then on Apps & features.
- Search for the app you want to disable, then click on the three horizontal dots, and select Advanced options.
- Look at the Backgrouns apps permissions section, then under Let this app run in the background, choose the Never option.
- Repeat the same steps for each background app you need to disable.
In the App list, you’ll be able to view those that are available and currently running in the Windows 11 background.
Note that some are important to keep, like the weather app – to get timely info or the Alarms & Clock app, which helps you to receive important event reminders and others.
2. Try the help of Battery Settings
- Press simultaneously on Windows + I keys to open the Settings menu.
- Go to System, then click on Power & battery.
- Click on the Battery usage section.
- Under the Battery usage per app section, search for the needed background app.
- After you find it, click again on its related three horizontal dots.
- Select to Manage background activity.
- You’ll be redirected to the Apps & features page. There, under the Background apps permissions section, choose again the Never option.
Keep in mind that this option will work only if your PC has a battery. For example, it wouldn’t be available if you’re running Windows 11 on a VM machine.
3. Navigate to Task Manager
- Press on the Windows key, then type Task Manager, and open it.
- Click on the Startup tab.
- Search for the app you want to turn off, click on it, then press the Disable button.
With Task Manager, you’ll be allowed to disable only traditional desktop programs from running in the background.
4. Use Local Group Policy Editor
- Press simultaneously on Windows + R keys.
- In the opened dialog box, type gpedit.msc, then click on OK.
- Expand the Computer Configuration section, then the Administrative Templates section.
- Open the Windows Components section.
- There, click on App Privacy, then look at the right window side and double-click on Let Windows apps run in the background.
- Checkmark the Disabled option.
- Click on Apply, then on OK.
This option would only be successful if you’re signed in as an administrator. The Registry allows the OS to manage your PC and also helps programs use the computer’s resources.
Can I enable back the Windows 11 background apps?
If you suddenly change your mind and want to bring back your background apps in Windows 11, note that you can do it with ease.
To perform this action, the Settings menu or Registry Editor would also be important supports.
For those times when you want to turn them on, you should definitely check out these accessible methods to make Windows 11 faster and more responsive.
Advantages of running apps on Windows 11 background
When it comes to running the Windows 11 background apps, it is not only about disadvantages. There are also some great implications if you choose to enable them back.
Having them opened in this way will allow you to receive notifications, information and stay up-to-date with various data without directly using related programs.
Isn’t it great that Windows OS allows you to customize your digital environment whenever you like?
As you can notice, some easy ways would help you to disable the background apps in Windows 11 and we ensured delivering only the best and quickest ones.
However, consider that you can get plenty of harmful apps, so you should always be prepared. To prevent such a situation, we recommend checking how to block potentially unwanted apps on your Windows device.
It is important to have a secured digital environment, without being affected by corrupted apps. So, you should also take a look at these antivirus options for Windows 11.
We’re always excited to find your thoughts and opinions, so leaving a comment in the section below will definitely help us.