- Taking Wii games backups can help in case the original game disc is damaged.
- In this article, we explore several ways to backup Wii games on PC.
- Also, find out if using the Dolphin Emulator is legal.
If you are still rocking your Nintendo Wii console or trying to get your hands on the classics, it is better to have a rip of Wii games on PC.
Having a rip of Wii games on PC allows you to keep the original game discs safe from accidental scratches.
Wii is traditionally a closed system, and to backup Wii games on a PC, you require a few third-party tools like Homebrewed Channel and Clean Rip to create game ISO.
In this article, we explore how to copy Wii discs on a PC running Windows 10 to help you keep your valuable classics safe.
Every aspect that creates a smooth game experience is important for gamers. Making the best out of every gaming session is what we all want.
Opera GX provides us with a gaming environment inside the browser. Play games right from the browser, and see the latest deals and the newest releases with Opera’s GX Corner.
Opera GXA powerful browser that creates a controlled environment for gamers.
Can I rip Wii games on PC?
Yes, you can easily rip Wii games a PC, using a bunch of dedicated third-party software. This saves you the cost of purchasing a console to play these games.
The process to dump Wii games on a PC is slightly complex, but it’s worth the effort if you are a fan of the titles on the gaming console.
Is there a Wii emulator for PC?
Yes, you would find a bunch of Wii emulators for PC, but most users go with the Dolphin Emulator, as it’s a far more simpler and convenient option.
How we test, review and rate?
We have worked for the past 6 months on building a new review system on how we produce content. Using it, we have subsequently redone most of our articles to provide actual hands-on expertise on the guides we made.
For more details you can read how we test, review, and rate at WindowsReport.
It offers compatibility with all major operating systems and controllers. New updates are released regularly with patches for previously known bugs. In case you have been wondering how to rip Wii games to PC for Dolphin, check the next section.
How do I back up Wii games on Windows 10 PC?
1. Backup using GameBackupSystem
GameBackupSystem offers a complete backup solution for your Windows, Wii, Xbox, and PlayStation games.
Using the tool, you can make perfect copies and backups of your games.
The GBS allows you to make a 1:1 copy of virtually any game on most of the popular console platforms.
It eliminates the fear of scratching your expensive Wii game collection by having to use the game CD to play the game.
2. Dump to a PC over the network
You can dump the Wii game ISO to your PC over the network. For this, we need a few tools such as Homebrew Channel installed on your Wii and a DVD Dump tool. Here’s how to use it.
Prepare Homebrew installation (Wii Menu version 4.2 and older)
- Make sure you have an SD card formatted with FAT16 or FAT32.
- Open the Bannerbom page to download the package – for Wii Menu version 4.2 / Wii Menu version 3.0 – 4.1.
- Download the abd6wa v200.zip or aad1f v108.zip file to your computer.
- Extract the downloaded file to the formatted SD card.
- Download the HackMii Installer from the Bannerbom page.
- Copy the installer.elf file to the root of the SD card, and then rename it as boot.elf.
- Turn on Wii.
- Open the Wii menu, and then select Wii.
- Select Data Management.
- Open the Channels tab from the top left.
- Open the SD Card tab.
- Next, insert the SD card into Wii.
- If prompted to load dol/elf, click Yes.
- When the loading screen appears, press 1 when the installer prompts, and then select Continue.
- Select Install the Homebrew channel option.
- Select Continue again and then press A.
- Once the installation is complete, press A.
- Select Exit and then press A.
- Press the Home button your Wii remote and then select Exit to enter the Wii menu.
Now you can see the Homebrew Channel listed as one of your channels.
Install the DVD Dump Tool
- Download the DVD Dump Tool.
- Extract the DVD Dump Tool and put it in the apps folder on your SD card.
- Insert your SD card into your Wii.
- Launch the DVD Dump Tool from the Homebrew Channel on Wii.
- Press the Right button on the d-pad ad then press A.
- Choose the disc that you want to copy, such as Wii Single-Layer Disc or Wii Dual-Layer Disc, and then press A.
- Now insert the game disc to your Wii console.
- Note down the Wii URL/IP Address shown on the screen.
- Open a web browser on your computer and then type the URL shown on Wii, and then hit Enter.
- On the Wii DVD Dumper page, click on Click here to download RSPP.iso.
- Your PC will start downloading the ISO to your computer.
The transfer speed could be much slower, so you may have to wait for hours, depending on the game size.
3. Backup using Clean Rip
For this method, we need an SD card or USB driver with at least 4.7 GB of free space. If you are dumping a dual-layer disc, then use a 9.4 GB (minimum) SD card.
Make sure you have followed the steps above to install Homebrew Channel before proceeding with these.
- Make sure the SD Card is formatted with FAT16 or FAT32.
- Download the Clean Rip zip file.
- Extract the CleanRip zip file and then put it in the \apps folder of your SD card.
- Insert your SD card into Wii and then launch CleanRip from Homebrew Channel.
- Select your device that you want to dump the game to your USB or SD card.
- Click Yes in the next step.
- Insert the Wii game that you want to back up into the Wii console.
- If you are dumping a dual-layer disc, then set Dual Layer to Yes. You can find out which game has a dual-layer disc with a little search on the internet using the game title.
- Press A to continue.
- CleanRip will start dumping the disc to your SD card or USB drive.
The dumping process may take some time, so wait till it is finished. Once done, you can move the ISO file to your computer and save it as a backup.
4. Use the Dolphin Emulator
If you have the ISO file, the Dolphin Emulator would be a great way to play Wii games on your computer. It’s one of the best emulators available and perfectly does the job.
Just go to the Dolphin Emulator’s official website, download the software, and extract it using 7-Zip or any other similar tool. Once done, you just have to add the path to the folder with the ISO files for the Wii games, and these should run without any issues.
In case the banners are missing, you would have to run the games at least once, relaunch the Dolphin Emulator software, and these would appear.
Is Dolphin Emulator legal?
Yes, the Dolphin Emulator software is completely legal and perfectly safe to use. However, how you obtain the ISO for games running on the emulator is what’s critical here.
If the copies acquired are pirated, you could run into issues. But if you are running from the original disc, things should be just fine.
That’s it. By following any of the methods above, you can easily backup and copy programs for Wii games to your PC. Do note that these steps will only work on Wii consoles running Wii Menu version 4.2 or below.
Also, find out how the best free online platforms for multiplayer games.
If you have any other queries, drop a comment in the section below.