- Because FileVault was discontinued, you are probably looking for the best Bitdefender Vault alternatives.
- If you want to protect yourself against cybercriminals, encryption will add a whole new security component to your personal information.
- Some programs can even hide encrypted data in other files without anyone else knowing.
As you already know, as of July 2020 File Vaults are no longer part of Bitdefender products, alongside Safe files, Startup Optimizer, Disk Cleanup, and Rescue CD.
This nifty feature provided by the antivirus permitted you to create encrypted, password-protected logical drives on your PC where you could securely save your confidential and sensitive files.
From big companies to any PC user that wants to protect his device against various users or even hackers, using a file encryption tool has become a necessity, so we’ve compiled a list of solutions that reviewers voted as the best Bitdefender Vault alternatives.
How do I know what encryption software suits me best?
With the development of technology and software, the number of threats we may encounter is continuously increasing, so consumers are always demanding more.
For some people, perhaps it’s essential to have an open-source solution. For others, it’s more important that files can be shared with people who do not use encryption software.
Some appreciate the work in the vault, while others get along better with encryption software designed for cloud storage.
One person would like to be able to take photos in the encrypted app, the next one not so much.
When looking for encryption software, it very much depends on if you own a company and you want to keep privileged information confidential or just care about the security of your own PC.
The encryption solutions can be quite similar, but there are small, relevant differences that will make you go one way or another.
What are the best Bitdefender Vault alternatives?
ESET is one of the top contenders among antivirus providers that for over 30 years has developed industry-leading IT security software and services to protect businesses and consumers worldwide from any kind of digital threats.
In an always-changing industry like digital security, this kind of longevity is really worth something.
But besides the multilayer protection, ESET PROTECT Advanced is a cloud-based, multifunctional remote network security management program that supports full disk encryption, so it will protect your sensitive information from data breaches or theft.
Basically, with ESET you get the best of both worlds: Antivirus and Full Disk Encryption. Compatible with both Windows and Mac OS, you can’t get this kind of protection elsewhere.
Here are some of its best features:
- Protects against ransomware
- Blocks targeted attacks
- Prevents data breaches
- Stops fileless attacks
- Detects advanced persistent threats
- Intuitive interface
- Available to use on multiple servers
- Manages encryption on Windows and Mac OS devices
- Encrypts system disks, partitions, or entire drives
- Deploys, activates, and encrypts devices in a single action
ESET PROTECT Advanced
Complete and advanced encryption solution for system disks, partitions, or entire devices!
Best for Encryption Enthusiasts, Folder Lock can lock access to files for quick, easy protection, and also keep them in encrypted lockers for serious protection. It combines a wide range of features with a bright, easy-to-use interface.
Aside from protecting assets on company computers, it is also very important to add protection to any device that stores vital data.
For instance, the smartphones of employees need to be protected because they store vital company data such as emails and other company documents. Folder Lock is good for adding encryption to mobile devices.
The app also protects photos or videos, personal files, contacts, wallet cards, and audio recordings stored in your handset.
Folder Lock gives you the option to enable a decoy password, log unauthorized login attempts, hacker deterrents, back up all your passwords and get notifications whenever there is a potential brute-force attack.
Let’s see what some of its best features are:
- Safely and effectively encrypts any files
- Remote server options
- Continuous data backup
- Local server options
- Secure data storage
- Backup protocol
- Multiple systems support
- Hidden security features
- Free to download
- Compatible with Windows, Android for mobile, and Linux
The software to use to make your data inaccessible to anyone but you!
NordLocker has become very popular since its release in 2019 due to the fact that it’s a user-friendly, easy-to-use file encryption tool that secures your data with powerful end-to-end encryption.
You can take advantage of it to store all your data quickly and easily, just like in a small safe directly on your hard drive, but also in the cloud.
As far as encryption is concerned, the tool is really unbeatable. On the one hand, the files themselves are encrypted with AES-GCM, while the names of the files are encrypted separately, with EME.
Your encrypted files are ultimately protected twice: once with your user data, but also with the so-called master key. For this, the NordLocker makers used the hyped XSalsa20-Poly1305 MAC algorithm, which has been tested by many encryption experts and researchers.
It offers coverage for almost any type of information, from photos, word files, and videos to banking details, accounts, and secret company documents.
Let’s see what are some of its best features:
- Offers backup and recovery
- 24/7 live support
- Compatible with Windows, Mac Os, and Linux
- Advanced encryption methods
- Supports a wide variety of files for protection
- Includes cloud data syncing for the protection of your online files as well
- Allows safe file sharing
- Comes with a 5 GB free trial
- Long-term plans are extremely affordable
Modern, powerful cryptosystem that runs fast, so securing your data won’t burn your productive time.
Since its establishment in 1997, Kaspersky Endpoint Security has been protecting users from malicious programs like viruses, worms, trojans, hackers, spam, and any other forms of intrusion.
It operates behind the scenes with smart scanning and quick, regular updates, while proactively shielding you against established and emerging threats to the Internet.
Kaspersky Endpoint Security for Business provides flexible security for mixed environments, incorporating a full stack of building blocks to deliver automated threat defense and systems hardening.
Some PC issues are hard to tackle, especially when it comes to corrupted repositories or missing Windows files. If you are having troubles fixing an error, your system may be partially broken.
We recommend installing Restoro, a tool that will scan your machine and identify what the fault is.
Click here to download and start repairing.
Besides its strong web controls, encryption management, and patch management, Kaspersky also offers mobile protection with anti-virus, web protection, password protection, and application controls.
Have a look at some of its best features:
- Detects new, emerging, and unknown threats
- Identifies suspicious websites and phishing websites
- Automatic download and installation features
- Minimal impact on PC performance for a range of usage scenarios
- Optimized antivirus databases
- Easy-to-use interface
- Antivirus and Encryption
- Application security
- Real-time monitoring
- Device management
- Correction Management
- Management guidelines
- Vulnerability Scanning
Protects your data against the latest security threats and includes real-time monitoring!
Sophos SafeGuard Encryption is powerful encryption software for laptops that provides strong encryption of the entire hard disk according to internationally recognized standards.
Simple to install and use, Sophos SafeGuard Encryption doesn’t require any complex server or network infrastructure.
The app provides data protection across multiple platforms and devices, and thanks to its high-performance and transparent encryption in the background, offers no disruption of the usual work processes.
Although the app is not free, it does come with an online demo where you can explore all their solutions, including endpoint, email, mobile, and server protection, and experience the efficiency of managing all your cybersecurity from a single platform.
Some of its best features:
- Secures data without slowing down your workflow
- Without end-user involvement, the software can be deployed onto endpoints and with Intel’s AES-NI instruction set, encryption can be accelerated
- Encryption of hard disks with Microsoft’s BitLocker, Apple’s FileVault 2, and Opal self-encrypting drives
- The authentication system of the software supports cryptographic and biometric tokens
- Multiple users can share encrypted computers without sharing passwords
- Quick password recovery thanks to a challenge/response system accessed over the phone or via a web portal
Sophos SafeGuard Encryption
Complete encryption and data protection solution for PCs, networks, and the cloud!
Multi-layered identity protection platform that includes premium antivirus, safe browsing, ID theft protection, and secure VPN.
McAfee Complete Data Protection comes in two quite similar options for you to choose from, the standard version and the advanced option.
Both suits keep your data safe with enterprise-grade drive encryption, have access control, and offer user behavior monitoring but the advanced suit also offers you device control and data loss prevention.
Their enterprise-grade endpoint encryption solution is FIPS 140-2 and Common Criteria EAL2+ certified, thus protecting your data from loss and theft.
Some of its best features are:
- Encrypt files to cloud storage services such as Box, Dropbox, Google Drive, and Microsoft OneDrive
- Control over data
- Advanced reporting and auditing
- Centralized data security management
- It makes use of the instruction set of Intel’s AES-NI for faster encryption operations
- McAfee’s ePolicy Orchestrator (ePO) management suite and other products of McAfee endpoint manage encryption
- ePO regulates policy and patch management, recover lost passwords and demonstrate regulatory compliance
- It synchronizes security policies with Novell NDS, Microsoft Active Directory, PKI, and other systems
McAfee Complete Data Protection Advanced
Powerful endpoint encryption integrated with centralized management to prevent unauthorized access!
Symantec Endpoint Protection is designed to address encryption challenges with a layered approach to endpoint security.
The solution goes beyond traditional antivirus tools to include firewalls, IPS (Intrusion Prevention System), and advanced protection technologies based on the largest civil threat intelligence network.
The software is very user-friendly, offering a fast and effective solution that protects against viruses and malware.
Doesn’t require you to install any additional hardware or have any special IT skills to get up and running.
Symantec Endpoint Encryption software provides full disk encryption for Windows 7, 8, 8.1, and 10.
Here are some of its best features:
- Risk assessment
- SSL security
- Security checks
- Two-factor authentication
- Incident management
- Self-recovery password
- Help-desk support
- Compatible with Microsoft Windows 7, 8, 8.1, and 10
How does encryption work?
The three components of any good encryption system are as follows: the data, the encryption engine, and the key management.
Note that the encrypted message is created by applying the key to the information to be encrypted in accordance with the regulation. In addition, there is another regulation to decrypt the encrypted message again using the key.
In general, one would like to achieve the following minimum goals:
- The encryption and decryption of texts have to be easy for a suitably programmed computer if the key is known.
- Without knowledge of the key, it should not be practically possible for an attacker to decrypt messages even if he has considerable resources and knows the method.
What makes ESET PROTECT Advanced the best file encryption software?
We did the research, we did the testing and we looked at what other people had to say about it, and the end result is that ESET PROTECT Advanced is the best file encryption software available.
It offers a wide array of features such as cloud-based console, endpoint security, file server security, full disk encryption, and cloud sandbox.
Besides the fact that it covers all the popular desktop and smartphone operating systems, it also backs its extensive platform coverage with an impressive and intuitive interface that includes different administration benefits.
What also makes it a good option for all kinds of networks and especially for businesses is the combination of spam filters, anti-malware scanners, and anti-phishing that protects companies against email-based attacks and malware.
ESET PROTECT Advanced also offers you a full 30-day free trial, you just have to create an account and try a full license, no commitment is necessary, but as far as overall paid services go, you’ll have a hard time finding something better.
For more product lists picked by our experts, check out our best FIPS 140-2 encryption software for Windows 10.
Because a lot of people can profit from your private information, it is necessary to use a method that does not discover your data and protects it against attacks.
So, there you have it, the best Bitdefender File Vault alternatives for you to choose from and our top recommendation. For any questions or suggestions, feel free to use the comment section below.