- If your computer gets severely infected, you may also lose Internet access so an offline antivirus is a must.
- We have prepared the best offline antiviruses for PC that can be run even from a USB stick.
- The most efficient offline virus scanner from our list comes from Avira and it's totally free.
- We also have an award-winning solution from Bitdefender on our list so check all the tools.
Today’s malware is some of the most significant threats to a home-based or a business computer.
If your system gets infected, it will be less likely that you’ll be able to install and run anything on your system.
To overcome such a situation, it’s recommended that you have an offline/portable virus scanner to scan your Windows 10 system.
A PC that became severely infected may also not have access to the Internet anymore, and that’s why a portable virus scanner plays such a crucial role in your computer.
We’ve listed five of the best offline antivirus programs that are portable tools, and this means that you’ll be able to easily run them from a USB stick for instance.
Check out all their features and see which one seems to fit your security needs best.
What are the best offline antiviruses?
Avira Antivirus used to be the most popular free antivirus until the company partnered with Ask.com and its nasty toolbar.
On the other hand, Avira’s detection rates are excellent, and running an offline scan will turn out useful for protecting your computer.
Avira has come a long way in the last years. The software has undergone some major changes to both its UI and its functionality.
Avira users can now benefit from several sought-after features that most other antivirus solutions do not provide:
- Superior virus, malware, and ransomware protection
- A free VPN included with the antivirus which allows you to stay safe and keep your data private
- PC booster which increases your system’s performance
- Identity protection and password manager that automatically generates strong passwords for your various accounts
- Scans your inbox and alerts you to phishing emails
- State of the art firewall and PC cleaning solution
An Internet connection is not needed when scanning with Avira. Download it now and enjoy protection even in downtimes.
Bitdefender Antivirus Plus is able to provide superior protection from viruses and other threats compared to the built-in antivirus tool from Windows 10, Windows Defender.
The tool will keep your computer secured against malware, and it will offer enhanced protection against phishing attacks, and suspicious activity.
The interface is accessible and clean with a new streamlined dashboard and specific protection against ransomware.
Check out the best features that are included in this software:
- This antivirus tool was designed for anyone who wants to keep the computer secure without having to worry about complicated details
- After you install it, you will probably never have to look at it again
- The program will take care of everything in the background, and there won’t be any complex configuration to worry about
- Bitdefender Antivirus has an excellent track record of picking up both known and unknown threats
- You also have the ability to decide whether you want to perform a full system scan or if you prefer checking individual files manually
- To check the files, you just have to drop them onto the program window
- A full scan is also a straightforward process
Bitdefender Antivirus Plus
Bitdefender Antivirus Plus is an award-winning solution whether online or offline.
BullGuard Antivirus is a useful and straightforward product that comes with real-time virus protection, malicious URL blocking and it also includes a customizable spam filter.
Starting BullGuard setup process takes just a moment, and the starter files are tiny. The program will be up and scanning your system as fast as possible.
BullGuard Antivirus is lightweight, looks great and it’s really speedy. It offers a valuable extra feature with its accurate spam filter.
Check out the most impressive features that are included in this software:
- You will have to create an account before BullGuard starts working
- All the program’s executables are digitally signed, and they’re protected from malware attacks
- The interface is user-friendly, and even beginners will get the hang of this software really quickly
- You will be able to launch a Quick Scan with just a single click
- You can choose a Full or Custom Scan from the menu, and the process will be speedy
- It comes with a system report, and you can scroll back through previous scans, check results, see what was scanned, and view basic system data
- The spam filter is useful, and it integrates with Outlook, Thunderbird, Windows Mail, and Windows Live Mail
BullGuard Antivirus provides maximum protection for your system both online and offline! Enjoy a major discount now!
VIPRE is one of the lightest antivirus solutions and that’s a very good feature for portable software.
It comes with a free award-winning support and customer service based in the U.S. and it features a fast and simple installation.
The RapidScan technology speeds up future scans by skipping the files found to be safe the previous times.
VIPRE Antivirus Plus is a clean and simple solution that just offers high-quality protection for a reasonable price.
Here are some of the most notable features of VIPRE Antivirus Plus:
- Extremely easy to use thanks to a new and modern user interface
- Affordable and top-rated protection
- 30 days money back guaranteed
- Cloud-enabled security, anti-threat, and ransomware protection
- History cleaner checks the system for data stored on your PC and might hold information about your computer and browsing habits
VIPRE is an honest and easy to use security protection, which features a free customer support based in the U.S.
The Emsisoft Emergency Kit is a collection of portable software that comes with a sturdy Malware scanner, HijackFree, and BlitzBlank in the Pro version.
The free version of the software includes a powerful malware scanner that will eliminate deep threats. You can run the program via an USB stick.
A useful option is the Whitelist that will exclude files, folders, and processes from the scan if you choose this.
Check out more of its essential features below:
- The software is ideal for rescuing your computer from infections
- It supports both the command line and the GUI
- You can download it for free, and you can also purchase a pre-compiled USB stick for commercial use
- You have to download and run the executables to extract the Emergency Kit
- If you run the program on a system without an Internet connection, you have to select No to bypass the online definition update
- The website updates the Emergency Kit executable once a day at least
- The Quick Scan is just a light scan
- The Custom Scan will scan the entire system
Emsisoft Emergency Kit
This tool can run straight from a USB stick and clean your PC without any Internet connection.
eScanAV AntiVirus Toolkit is less well known than all of the software that we have mentioned above. On the other hand, its detection results place this program in line or even ahead of some major household names.
eScanAV AntiVirus Toolkit also provides an Antivirus Toolkit that is a dedicated portable virus scanner, and this means that it will work even when you’re not connected to the Internet.
Check out the best features that are included in the software:
- Straightforward to use and all your options will be placed in just one window
- Select which areas and drives you want to scan
- Choose if you want to scan or also clean the drives
- You can also check archives
First, it’s recommended that you update the virus definitions that may be out of date, and for this, you’ll need an Internet-enabled computer.
You have to unpack mwav.exe and run mexe.com to launch the program and click Update to get the latest definitions.
You can take the mwav folder to an offline computer after performing the update.
These are our picks for the best offline virus scanner for Windows 10 and all of them will do a great job.
Each of them comes with its unique set of useful features, but all of these tools are guaranteed to keep your system safe and clean even while you are offline.
You should also check out our article on the best antiviruses with unlimited validity so that you can benefit from a lifetime license.
Check them all out and after analyzing their features get the best option for your computer’s safety. Drop us a line in the comments section if you have any suggestions or additions.
Frequently Asked Questions
Some antivirus utilities will allow you to create a USB scanning tool for use in offline situations. While it’s not recommended, you can use the best offline antiviruses without an Internet connection.
Several antivirus solutions offer free versions for users to try out. If you don’t want to spend money on an antivirus, we’ve compiled a list of the best ones to try out.
If your hardware is a bit dated, there’s no need to worry. There are plenty of antiviruses for older PCs out there!