Using a gaming controller when playing your favorite games on PC can make the gaming experience more enjoyable.
Microsoft‘s Xbox controllers can be used when playing PC games as well, but there are also many interesting third-party gaming controllers you can choose from.
As always, when the offer is generous, choosing the right gaming controller can be difficult.
We’re going to make it easier for you and list the best Windows 10 gaming controllers in this article, as well as their main characteristics so that you can choose the controller that best suits your needs.
Which are the best Windows 10 gaming controllers?
- Features Razer Chroma's wide selection of lighting effects and profiles
- Optimized ergonomics that stays comfortable after hours of practice
- Comes loaded with a slew of extra buttons for advanced gaming
- Interchangeable thumbsticks and two interchangeable D-Pads
- Interchangeable parts so it adapts to your hands and playstyle
- drivers make it more console-oriented
You can’t start off a list of gaming-related articles without mentioning a Razer product first, and the Razer Wolverine Ultimate is indeed deserving of the #1 spot on our list.
It is optimized for long and intense gaming sessions thanks to the durable and ergonomic design that also features interchangeable parts that adapt to the shape of each user’s hand.
More so, it looks very elegant, and the RGB lights powered by razer Chrome are nothing but a topping on the cake in terms of design.
- Use Xbox Wireless, Bluetooth, or the included USB C cable for connectivity
- Comes with several interchangeable thumbstick and paddle shapes
- Limitless customization and exclusive configuration options
- Compatible with Xbox Series X, Xbox One, Windows 10
- Up to 40 hours of rechargeable battery life
- Buttons and sticks may seem stiff
Since Microsoft owns Xbox, you’d expect them to be top-tier in terms of designing and creating controllers, and you aren’t;t wrong.
The Elite Series 2 controller is testimony to that, and although it may not present the same flashy designs as some of our other entries, it is still a very solid choice for all your gaming needs!
All in all, if you aren’t too invested in gaming, but do engage in it from time to time, this controller is your best possible choice.
- Deliver distinct feedback during the game via powerful vibration motors
- The asymmetrical design of the joysticks is based on ergonomics
- Works with Windows, Vista, TV box, PS3, and Android 4.0+
- Designed for the most comfortable thumb position
- Features Plug & Play capabilities
- Doesn't support Xbox 360, Xbox One, Mac, IOS
Some players prefer PC gaming with a controller, and some games only work that way, so if that’s all you are interested in, then the EasySMX Wired gaming controller is good for you.
The controller features an asymmetrical design that is purely for ergonomic purposes, allowing it to fit better in your hands, regardless of which hand is dominant.
More so, you don’t have to worry about eye fatigue during gameplay, since the 2 m cable allows you to play from afar at a safe distance.
- Works with PC running Windows XP, 7, 8, 8. 1, 10, PS3, and Android 4. 0 +
- Asymmetric vibrating motor brings you different levels of vibration
- 2.4G wireless transmission technology ensures stable connection
- Handgrips adopt textured rubber that increases friction
- Offers a range of up to 10 meters
- iPhone and Mac computers are not supported
This entry is exactly like the previous one, except this one is a wireless variant, offering a bit more freedom in terms of how you can position yourself in the room during gameplay.
This is especially thanks to the 10-meter range and the 2.4G wireless transmission technology that doesn’t sacrifice stability for range.
All in all, it is up to you whether you prefer the stability of the wired version or the freedom given by the wireless version.
- Includes the controller, a carrying case, 4 paddles, 6 thumbsticks, 2 D-pads: faceted and standard, a USB cable, AA batteries, and a quick set up guide
- Interchangeable paddles and rubberized diamond grip
- Limitless customization with an easy-to-use app
- Compatible with Xbox One and Xbox One S
- Compatible with Windows 10 via USB
- Xbox Wireless Adapter is sold separately
Microsoft promises this gaming controller will help you to unlock your full potential as a gamer. The Xbox One Elite controller adapts to your unique style of play, offering excellent accuracy and impressive control speed, helping you to crush the competition.
Other features include:
- Swap between a variety of metal thumbsticks and D-pads for personalized control and ergonomics.
- The Hair Trigger Locks allows you to fire more quickly and save valuable time with each trigger pull.
- Customize your controller with a dedicated app: adjust trigger min/max values, thumbstick sensitivities, button assignments, assign any of 14 inputs to the ABXY buttons, paddles, D-pad, triggers, and thumbstick clicks.
- Compatible with Windows 10 via USB or the Xbox Wireless Adapter sold separately.
SteelSeries Stratus XL is a very versatile controller that works great with Steam Big Picture mode. This gaming controller supports Windows, Android, Samsung Gear VR, HTC Vive, and Oculus. The Stratus XL’s ergonomic design is one of its main advantages, as it fits perfectly in your hands and won’t cause hand cramps even after hours of gaming.
Other features include:
- Four easy-to-read LEDs inform you about the status and connectivity of the controller.
- The controller‘s battery autonomy offer you over 40 hours of gaming experience.
- Change the actuation point on the triggers for a shorter or longer pull with SteelSeries Engine 3.
GameSir G4s is another extremely versatile gaming controller you’ll definitely fall in love with. This controller is packed with impressive features that will make you want to get you hands on it as soon as possible:
- Realtek Bluetooth 4.0 technology.
- Vibration intensity adjustment, vibration frequency adjustment.
- Built-in 800mAh polymer lithium battery lasts for 18 hours. Automatic sleep mode is also available.
- Pressure-sensitive D-pad, 360-degree without dead zone analog joysticks of high sensibility and unique design of triggers R2/L2.
- A changeable position of D-pad.
This gaming controller was launched in 2010 but remains one of the most reliable and popular controllers. Logitech Gamepad F310 supports both new games and old favorites and lets you customize the controls for a better gaming experience.
Other features include:
- You can pair the controller with Big Picture and navigate on Steam
- 10 programmable buttons, 8-way programmable D-pad
- Simple plug-and-play USB connection with a 1.8-meter long cable.
This controller works on Windows 10, but you’ll first need to install DirectX 9.0c or above. If you’re looking for a controller to use on both your PC and console, ZD-V+ is not the right choice for you, as it’s not compatible with Xbox 360 or Xbox One.
This controller has an amazing modern design and its capabilities impress users:
Most games support it right off the bat as well […] so no messing about with mapping buttons etc. In its price bracket you wont find a better control pad for the PC. It is even better than some of the high end ‘pro’ gamepads out there.
The Beboncool gaming controller is an interesting device whose price tag doesn’t do it justice. Although this controller was mainly built for mobile gaming, you can also use it when playing Windows 10 PC games.It supports wired connection for X-input, D-input Windows PC games, and the gamepad can support PC-USB gamepad functions. The built-in lithium rechargeable 400mA battery should be enough to offer you a 5 to 8 hour autonomy.
Other features include:
- The Beboncool app is a bonus and allows users to access various games compatible with Bluetooth controllers.
- Ergonomic design with a nice grip, the buttons are very responsive and the joystick moves smoothly.
- Samsung VR Gear support.
We hope this article about the best Windows 10 gaming controllers helped you to decide which controller to buy. If you have other suggestions for this top, share your thoughts in the comment section below.
FAQ: Learn more about the best gaming controllers
- Which is better for a gaming keyboard or controller?
If you have in mind the idea of fighting games, then go for a controller. To make an informed choice, don’t hesitate to check out this list of best gaming controllers for a perfect play.
- What controller do professional gamers use?
To get a precise answer, take a look at this list of best controllers for fighting games.
- Do most PC gamers use a controller?
No, they actually use keyboards for intense gaming sessions. This list of best Logitech gaming keyboards includes some top picks, so check it out as well.Editor's Note: This article was originally published in September 2016 and was revamped and updated in November 2020 for freshness, accuracy, and comprehensiveness.