- Most of the time, Bitdefender won't install due to conflict with previous versions on your computer.
- To easily solve this issue, use a third-party program to clean your system.
- Other antivirus software can also stop Bitdefender from installing.
- Checking if Windows is blocking the app is also good if you get the Bitdefender installation failed error.
Bitdefender is one of the popular antivirus solutions for Windows 10 users. However, some Windows 10 users have reported that they are unable to install the security software on their computers.
What should I do if Windows 10 won’t allow me to install Bitdefender? For starters, confirm that any other antivirus or old Bitdefender version isn’t installed on your Windows 10 PC.
The system might not allow for more than one third-party antivirus at a time. Alternatively, disable Windows Defender or unblock the Bitdefender installer.
What to do if Bitdefender won’t install on Windows 10?
- Use IObit Uninstaller
- Remove third-party antivirus / older Bitdefender installation
- Turn off Windows Defender Real-Time Protection
- Unblock the Bitdefender installer
- Repair the Bitdefender Client
1. Use IObit Uninstaller
The program will scan your PC for any trace of leftover programs, and it will give you the option to remove them from your computer easily, with just a few clicks.
In addition, the software can remove browser plug-ins and toolbars to protect you from malicious content, and it can also block those pesky pop-up notifications.
Moreover, it works with browsers such as Chrome, Mozilla, Edge, and Internet Explorer. Not only does IObit uninstall your software, but it also cleans any leftover files.
Therefore, you can uninstall and remove an older version or trace of Bitdefender, so you can install the one you want without any problems.
IObit UninstallerIObit Uninstaller will remove any software, leftover files, and malicious browser plug-ins from your device.
2. Remove the third-party antivirus / older Bitdefender installation
Bit defender Uninstaller allows you to uninstall Bitdefender Internet security without leaving any traces.
- Start by downloading Bitdefender Uninstaller from the official website, here.
- Run the installer and follow the on-screen instructions to uninstall Bitdefender.
You may encounter an error while installing Bitdefender if you have third-party security software installed.
Even if you have uninstalled the software, it is possible that the left-over software entries are creating an issue.
The error can also occur if you have an older version of Bitdefender installed on your system.
Uninstall Other Security Software
- Go to Start.
- Type Settings and click on it.
- Select Apps, then Installed Apps.
- Right-click on the app you wish to remove and click Uninstall.
If you have third-party antivirus software installed, you may face difficulty installing Bitdefender.
3. Turn off the Windows Defender Real-Time Protection
- Click on Start and select Settings.
- Go to Update and Security > Windows Security.
- Click on Virus and Threat Protection.
- Scroll down, click on Manage Settings under “Virus and Threat protection“.
- Turn off Real-time protection.
- Try installing Windows Defender again and check for any improvements.
Microsoft Windows comes with a built-in security program with real-time protection. To install a third-party antivirus solution, you need to turn off the Real-Time Protection first.
4. Unblock Bitdefender installer
- Make sure you have the latest version of Bitdefender installer downloaded.
- Right-click on the Bitdefender installation file and select Properties.
- In the bottom right corner, click on the “Unblock” button under the Advanced button.
- Click Apply and OK to save the changes.
- Now run the Bitdefender installer again and check for any improvements.
Microsoft Windows may block or prevent the installation of security programs to protect the computer. However, you can easily unblock the Bitdefender installer by following the aforementioned steps.
5. Repair Bitdefender Client
- Exit Bitdefender if running.
- Press Windows Key + R to open Run.
- Type control and press OK to open Control Panel.
- Now, go to Programs > Programs and Features.
- Select Bitdefender and click on the Uninstall button.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to repair Bitdefender.
- Relaunch Bitdefender and try to install the pending update.
Bitdefender comes with a built-in repair tool to help you fix common issues with the software.
If you are facing issues with the Bitdefender upgrade tool, the bit defender repair tool will scan for the known issues and file corruption and fix them if required. Here is how to do it.
We hope these solutions fixed your Bitdefender installing problem. Lots of things cause your issue, so make sure you follow the steps provided.
Leave any feedback regarding the subject in the comment section below.Editor's Note: This article was originally published in May 2019 and was revamped and updated in January 2021 for freshness, accuracy, and comprehensiveness.