What should I do if Windows 10 won’t allow me to install Bitdefender? For starters, confirm that any other antivirus or old Bitdefender version isn’t installed on your Windows 10 PC. The system might not allow for more than one third-party antivirus at the time. Alternatively, disable Windows Defender or unblock Bitdefender installer.
Read about the solutions in detail below.
What to do if Bitdefender won’t install in Windows 10
- Remove Third-party Antivirus / Older Bitdefender Installation
- Turn off Windows Defender Real-Time Protection
- Unblock Bitdefender installer
- Repair Bitdefender Client
1. Remove Third-party Antivirus / Older Bitdefender Installation
You may encounter an error while installing Bitdefender if you have third-party security software installed. Even if you have uninstalled the software, it is possible that the left-over software entries are creating an issue. The error can also occur if you have an older version of Bitdefender installed on your system. Here is how to remove them.
Bit defender Uninstaller allows you to uninstall Bitdefender internet security without leaving any traces.
- Start by downloading Bitdefender Uninstaller from the official website, here.
- Run the installer and follow the on-screen instructions to uninstall Bitdefender.
Uninstall Other Security Software
If you have third-party antivirus software installed, you may face difficulty installing Bitdefender. Uninstall the security software from Start > Settings > Apps > Installed Apps > Uninstall.
2. Turn off Windows Defender Real-Time Protection
Microsoft Windows comes with a built-in security program with real-time protection. To install a third-party antivirus solution, you need to turn off the Real-Time Protection first. Here is how to do it.
- Click on Start and select Settings.
- Go to Update and Security > Windows Security.
- Click on Virus and Threat Protection.
- Scroll down, click on Manage Settings under “Virus and Threat protection“.
- Turn off Real-time protection.
- Try installing Windows Defender again and check for any improvements.
3. Unblock Bitdefender installer
Microsoft Windows may block or prevent the installation of security programs to protect the computer. However, you can easily unblock the Bitdefender installer by following these steps.
- Make sure you have the latest version of Bitdefender installer downloaded.
- Right-click on the Bitdefender installation file and select Properties.
- In the bottom right corner, click on the “Unblock” button under the Advanced button.
- Click Apply and OK to save the changes.
- Now run the Bitdefender installer again and check for any improvements.
4. Repair Bitdefender Client
Bitdefender comes with a built-in repair tool to help you fix common issues with the software. If you are facing issues with Bitdefender upgrade tool, the bit defender repair tool will scan for the known issues and file corruption and fix them if required. Here is how to do it.
- Exit Bitdefender if running.
- Press Windows Key + R to open Run.
- Type control and press OK to open Control Panel.
- Now, go to Programs > Programs and Features.
- Select Bitdefender and click on the Uninstall button.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to repair Bitdefender.
- Relaunch Bitdefender and try to install the pending update.
RELATED STORIES YOU MAY LIKE: