FIX: Bitdefender won’t auto update on Windows 10
Bitdefender antivirus is an award-winning security software that has long boasted a set of features that deliver in terms of offering layers of security to its users.
Enhancements that it comes with such as the new user interface, updated autopilot, network threat scan and ransom protection, plus a VPN, all ensure it remains the number one choice in protecting your PC’s security.
The antivirus is by default set to autopilot for completely silent security, during which it makes all security-related decisions for you so you need not make any configurations in settings.
But what happens when your Bitdefender antivirus won’t auto update?
Well, update errors are usually as a result of issues with the internet, probably the connection failed, or you’re using a proxy, or it is being blocked by your firewall, or possibly virus and dangerous malware infections.
It is important to troubleshoot these problems and causes from recurring again, so try the solutions below.
What to do if Bitdefender failed to update
- General troubleshooting
- Turn on automatic updates
- Turn off Automatic Game Mode and/or Automatic Laptop mode
- Check that Bitdefender is properly set up
- Send the error message to Bitdefender support
1. General troubleshooting
- If you have any other security program installed, uninstall it. Bitdefender usually disables Windows Defender upon install. If properly installed, Bitdefender should be listed under virus protection in Security and Maintenance section under Security
- Run removal tools for any other security software you may have had that was previously used on the computer, then reboot. Sometimes these remnants may cause Bitdefender not to auto update
- Uninstall your current version of Bitdefender and reboot
- Run Bitdefender removal software and restart your computer again then try reinstalling it
2. Turn on automatic updates
If Bitdefender won’t auto update, the feature is probably disabled. Turn it back on by doing the following:
- Open Bitdefender window
- Go to Update panel
- Click the switch to turn on Automatic Update
Note: If you want to turn it off, a warning window will appear and you have to confirm your choice by selecting how long you want to disable it for. Since it is a critical security issue, it is recommended you disable automatic updates for as little time as possible otherwise if not updated regularly so as to protect you against the latest threats.
3. Turn off Automatic Game Mode and/or Automatic Laptop mode
In Bitdefender, when computer activities like games or presentations are in use, they require more system responsiveness and performance, without interruption. Bitdefender has two special operation modes for such cases: Game and Laptop mode.
Game mode modifies protection settings temporarily to minimize their impact on the system’s performance. Bitdefender automatically detects a known game or app in fullscreen and enables its antivirus setting to permissive, disabling pop-ups and alerts, autoscan, safebox auto sync and automatic update, as well as the browser toolbar.
Laptop mode minimizes the impact on power consumption as your laptop runs on battery, thus features such as autoscan, auto update and safebox auto sync are also turned off.
If you want Bitdefender to always stay on autopilot so it can auto update, turn off the game or laptop mode. To do this:
- Open Bitdefender main interface
- Click Settings on the upper toolbar
- Go to Settings overview window
- Select General
- Go to General settings window and select General tab
- Click the corresponding switch to turn off Automatic laptop mode/Automatic game mode
4. Check that Bitdefender is properly set up
- Open Bitdefender
- Click on the gear icon in the lower left side of the main interface
- Click Update tab
- Ensure update settings are set correctly
- Go to Bitdefender firewall
- Click on the shield icon in the interface
- Click View Modules
- Click the gear icon in Firewall module
- In adapters tab, ensure firewall is properly set up: Network type – home/office, stealth mode – off, and generic – on
5. Send the error message to Bitdefender support
If you still find that Bitdefender won’t auto update, follow the steps below to get the exact error message and send to Bitdefender support:
- Open the main Bitdefender interface.
- Access the Settings menu by clicking on the bellicon in the lower left side.
- Select the Update tab.
- Click on the Critical tab and you should see the exact error message
Let us know if you managed to fix Bitdefender won’t auto update using these solutions by leaving a comment in the section below.
RELATED STORIES TO CHECK OUT:
- Bitdefender Box 2 aims to be the best IoT antivirus device
- Download BitDefender 2018 for free: Total Security, Antivirus Plus and Family Pack
- Review: Bitdefender Internet Security 2018
Live streaming is the hottest trend and a powerful streaming software makes the entire process a lot easier. A streaming software primarily helps you with […]
From the tail end of the 20th century, up to about a decade ago, CDs and DVDs constitute the major options for media storage. Today, […]