Bootstrapper.exe: What Is It & Should You Remove It?
You may remove the file if it's flagged as malicious by antivirus scans
- Bootstrapper.exe is a Windows executable file but can sometimes be a threat if it is malicious.
- It is safe to remove the file as it isn’t an essential Windows file.
- You can remove the executable file by deleting it from File Explorer and uninstalling related apps.
There are many executable files running on the system, and some are causing inconsistencies with the system’s performance. The Bootstrapper.exe is one of those files, raising the contemplation of whether to remove or keep it. However, this article covers the file and why you should remove it.
Also, we have a detailed guide about Bootstrap.dll not found error and ways to fix it on Windows 11.
What is Bootstrapper.exe?
Bootstrapper.exe is an executable file that belongs to the Intel Services Manager Launcher process, which comes along with the Intel Manageability Engine Firmware Software developed by Intel software developers.
Also, Bootstrapper also belongs to Microsoft Office. It helps install additional components or software required for applications to run on Windows PCs. Microsoft signs it and helps initialize apps built using the Composite App Library.
Furthermore, Bootstrapper.exe runs when you install an app using it and checks if the necessary components are already installed. If they are not intact, Bootstrapper.exe will download and install them before proceeding with the installation.
Should I remove Bootstrapper.exe?
While the Bootstrapper.exe file is a legitimate system file, it is possible for a virus or malware to disguise itself using the Bootstrapper.exe name.
Hence, you need to check the file for malware before removing it. Further, you can check the file’s validity through its digital signature with these steps:
- Right-click the exe file and click on Properties.
- Choose the Digital Signatures tab. Check for Microsoft or any other reputable company associated with the app as the signer.
- If a reputable company does not sign it, it’s possible that the file isn’t authentic.
Also, some users complain about heavy CPU usage from the file. However, removing Bootstrapper.exe will be a reasonable option as it will keep the system safe from external threats and malicious attacks.
How can I remove the Bootstrapper.exe from my PC?
1. Remove the Bootstrapper.exe file
- Right-click the Start menu at the bottom of the screen and select Task Manager.
- Go to the Processes tab and locate Bootstrapper.exe. Right-click on it, and select End task.
- Then, right-click Bootstrapper.exe in the Task Manager and select Open file location from the context menu.
- Right-click the file, and select Delete from the drop-down options.
- Restart your PC and check if the file is no longer available.
The above steps will stop the activities of the bootstrapper.exe in the Task Manager and delete the file from the system.
2. Uninstall the program using the file
- Left-click the Windows button, type Bootstrapper.exe, and select open file location.
- In the file directory, check the program to which the process Bootstrapper.exe belongs.
- Left-click the Start button, type Control Panel, then open it.
- Click on Programs, then select Programs and Features.
- Find the program, right-click on it, then select Uninstall from the drop-down.
- Follow the onscreen instructions and Restart your PC to see if the .exe file is still running on your PC.
Uninstalling the program responsible for the file will remove its components.
Alternatively, you can read about how to fix corrupted system files on Windows 11. Also, you can check our review of the best antivirus software for Windows PCs.
If you have further suggestions or questions, kindly drop them in the comments section below.
Still having issues? Fix them with this tool:
If the advices above haven't solved your issue, your PC may experience deeper Windows problems. We recommend downloading this PC Repair tool (rated Great on TrustPilot.com) to easily address them. After installation, simply click the Start Scan button and then press on Repair All.