- Steam is the most popular gaming platform on PC with millions of active users worldwide.
- Many users encountered Oops looks like your browser was told to deny us microphone access error, so today we’ll show you how to fix it.
- If you’re gamer, you most likely used Steam at least once, and if you want to learn more about it, visit our Gaming section.
- If you want to read more guides like this one, you should check out our Browsers Hub.
Steam is one of the best digital distribution services for games, but even a great service such as Steam can encounter certain issues.
Many users reported getting the Oops looks like your browser was told to deny us microphone access error.
In today’s article, we’ll show you how to fix it, so keep reading.
Since this is a browser issue, you might be able to fix the problem by switching to a different web browser such as Opera GX.
Opera GX is light on your resources, and it should handle any type of multimedia with ease. The browser also has a built-in adblocker that will speed up webpage loading.
Regarding security, there’s a free VPN with unlimited bandwidth that will offer an additional layer of protection.
Additionally, you get fewer to zero errors when playing games as compared to other browsers that don’t have the same gaming features.
Opera GXNo more errors! Get your gaming to the next level with this highly customizable browser.
How do I fix my browser’s microphone access error?
1. Make sure that your apps are allowed to access your microphone
- Go to the Settings app.
- Next, go to the Privacy section.
- Enable the Allow apps to access your microphone option.
2. Clear the Steam cache
- Open the Steam menu and choose Settings.
- From the left pane select Web Browsing.
- In the right pane click on Delete web browser cache and
- Next, select Delete all browser cookies option.
3. Disable your antivirus
- Open your antivirus.
- Go to the settings and look for a feature that controls your microphone.
- Disable that feature.
Note: If there’s no microphone configuration feature, try disabling your antivirus and check if that helps.
4. Check the hidden sound options
- Open the chat window.
- Now click the gears icon.
- Locate the voice options.
- Make sure that your microphone is set as the input device.
5. Check your browser settings
- Click the lock icon in the address bar.
- Now look for permissions and make sure that the current page is allowed to access your microphone.
Oops looks like your browser was told to deny us microphone access is an inconvenient problem, and if you managed to fix it using our solutions, don’t be shy about leaving a comment below.
FAQ: Learn more about Steam
- How do I allow my microphone to access my Steam browser?
To use your microphone with Steam, make sure that your microphone’s access is enabled.
- How do I change Steam voice settings?
You ca change Steam‘s voice settings from the Voice section following the steps we are presenting in this guide.
- Why can I hear myself in Steam voice chat?
This is most likely because the sound volume is too high on the other person’s PC, which creates an echo.
- How do I connect my mic to Steam?
Your microphone should be configured and ready to work with Steam out of the box, but if it’s not, you can easily do that in Steam’s settings.
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published in May 2020 and has been since revamped and updated in August 2020 for freshness, accuracy, and comprehensiveness.