- Seeing any BSoD error can be very worrying for anybody, but the steps in this guide might be of help.
- To troubleshoot this issue, close startup, and other background software, and run a system file scan.
- If you want to never worry about any Windows error you encounter, consider bookmarking our comprehensive Windows Fix Hub.
- To see a comprehensive database containing a wide range of BSoD information, visit our extensive BSoD error codes page.
The CID_HANDLE_CREATION error is one of those dreaded Blue Screen of Death (BSOD) errors that arises on Windows desktops and laptops. That particular BSOD error has a 0x00000016 a stop error code. That BSOD error often arises for players playing specific games with higher system requirements in Windows.
CID_HANDLE_DELETION is a similar BSOD error that can arise in Windows. That BSOD displays a 0x00000017 Stop error message. The potential resolutions for the 0x00000016 and 0x00000017 Stop errors are much the same.
How do I fix the 0x016 and 0x017 BSoD errors?
1. Close startup and other background software
- Closing startup and other background software will free up system resources and might remove conflicting programs that trigger BSOD issues. Right-click the taskbar and select Task Manager.
- Select third-party apps and background apps listed on the Processes tab and select End task to close them.
- To stop programs starting with Windows, click the Start-up tab.
- Then select superfluous software there and click Disable to remove them from startup.
2. Run a system file scan
- BSOD errors can often arise due to system file corruption, which is something the System File Checker can fix. Press the Windows key + S hotkey to open a search box.
- Type cmd in the search box to find Command Prompt.
- Right-click Command Prompt and select Run as administrator on the context menu.
- Type in DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth, and press the Enter key.
- Next, input sfc /scannow and press Return to initiate a System File Checker scan.
- When SFC is done, it will display one of four alternative messages in Command Prompt. Restart the desktop or laptop if Windows Resource Protection repaired files.
3. Update the graphics card driver
Error 0x00000016 can be due to outdated or incompatible graphics card driver. You can update your graphics card driver, and others, with the Driver Booster 7 software. To save the setup wizard for DB 7, click the Free Download button on the software’s website. Then open saved setup wizard to add DB 7 to Windows.
When you open Driver Booster 7, it will start scanning. Then it might display a list of device drivers that are outmoded, incompatible, missing, or faulty. Select the checkboxes for listed device drivers, and click Update Now.
4. Uninstall the Avast Antivirus utility
The 0x16 and 0x17 errors can be due to the Avast Antivirus utility. Even Avast concedes that its antivirus utilities can conflict with third-party software and generate BSOD errors. Click avastclear.exe on the Uninstall Utility page to download the uninstaller for Avast Antivirus utilities. Then uninstall your Avast software with that uninstaller.
5. Adjust power plan settings for the hard drive
- Try adjusting the power settings for your hard drive. To do so, open the Run accessory with the Windows key + R keyboard shortcut.
- Type powercfg.cpl in the text box and click OK to open the Control Panel applet shown directly below.
- Click Change plan settings > Change advanced power settings to open the Advanced settings tab in the snapshot directly below.
- Click Hard disk > Turn off hard disk after to open the On battery text box.
- Replace the current value in the On battery box with 0.
- Click the Apply option, and press the OK button.
6. Reinstall the game the error arises with
- If the 0x00000016 error arises when playing a specific game, try reinstalling that game. Enter appwiz.cpl in Run, and click the OK option.
- Select the game the Stop error arises for.
- Click the Uninstall button.
- Select the Yes option on any confirmation prompts that might pop up.
- Restart Windows before reinstalling the game.
- Then reinstall the latest version of the game.
Those are some of the potential fixes that might resolve recurring 0x00000016 and 0x00000017 Stop errors. Some of the resolutions on Microsoft’s Troubleshoot blue screen page might also fix the 0x016 and 0x017 BSOD errors.
FAQ: Learn more about BSoD errors on Windows
- Does BSoD damage your computer?
No, BSoD is actually designed to stop your computer from being damaged by a software issue.
- How do I fix BSoD error?
To fix the BSoD error, you will need to follow the steps presented in this comprehensive guide.
- Why does the blue screen of death happen?
The most common reason for encountering the dreaded BSoD is a hardware problem or a problem with a specific driver for your hardware.