Fix: Catalyst Control Center Won’t Open in Windows 10
AMD graphic cards offer great performance, so it’s no wonder that many people around the world are using them. Along with AMD graphic cards comes Catalyst Control Center. However, there are many reports that Catalyst Control Center won’t open on Windows 10.
What to do if Catalyst Control Center Won’t Open in Windows 10
- Start Catalyst Control Center from the installation directory
- Completely remove your display drivers and reinstall them
- Close all Catalyst tasks
- Run SFC scan
- Update your computer
Catalyst Control Center is an application that comes with AMD display drivers and it allows you to customize display settings, display profiles and video performance. Although many average users don’t need to use Catalyst Control Center, advanced users use it for all sorts of things, such as display managment, color adjustment, etc.
If you’re one of those advanced users and you can’t open Catalyst Control Center you might want to have a look at these solutions.
Solution 1 – Start Catalyst Control Center from the installation directory
This is quite the simple solution and in order to do this you just need to navigate to: Program Files (x86) > ATI Technologies > ATI.ACE > Core-Static > amd64 > CLIStart.exe and run the CLIStart.exe.
This should start Catalyst Control Center without any problems. In addition, you can create a shortcut on your desktop so you won’t have to navigate through folders each time you want to run CCC.
Solution 2 – Completely remove your display drivers and reinstall them
To this, you’ll need Display Driver Uninstaller. You can download it from here.
- After you’ve downloaded Display Driver Uninstaller open its archive and extract it.
- Go to the extraction folder and run DDU.exe.
- This will extract more files to this folder.
- Now run Display Driver Uninstaller.exe.
- Display Driver Uninstaller will ask you to boot into Safe Mode, so choose Yes.
- After you’ve rebooted into Safe Mode DDU will start, and if it doesn’t find your GPU manufacturer you’ll need to choose it from the drop down list.
- Click Clean and Restart.
- You might get window asking you to disable Windows automatic installation of display drivers. If so, click Yes.
- After you’ve finished just visit AMD’s website for latest drivers.
- We also strongly recommend TweakBit’s Driver Updater (approved by Microsoft and Norton) to automatically download all the outdated drivers on your PC. It’s a great tool which scans for updates as an antivirus scans for threats. This tool will keep your system safe as you can manually download and install the wrong driver version.
Solution 3 – Close all Catalyst tasks
Some users confirmed that closing all Catalyst tasks in Task Manager solved the problem. So, here are the steps to follow:
- Launch Task Manger > go to Processes
- End all tasks related to Catalyst
- Return to your desktop and launch AMD Catalyst Control Center
Solution 4 – Run SFC scan
Windows 10 features a self check tool that allows you to detect and automatically repair corrupted files. Run a System File Checker to learn of any system files are corrupted or missing and if they’re fixable.
- Go to Start > type cmd > right-click Command Prompt > run Command Prompt as administrator
- Enter the command sfc /scannow and hit Enter
- Wait until the scanning process finishes and restart your computer
- Launch AMD Catalyst Control Center again.
Solution 5 – Update your computer
Make sure that yo’re running the latest Windows 10 updates on your machine. This means that you should install all the available critical, recommended and optional patches.
Go to Settings > Update & Security > Windows Update > check for updates.
That’s it, if you have any comments or questions, just reach for the comment section below.
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published in October 2015 and has been since completely revamped and updated for freshness, accuracy, and comprehensiveness.
RELATED STORIES TO CHECK OUT:
- Fix: AMD Driver Crash on Windows 10
- Fix: Windows 10 prevents the installation of AMD Drivers
- How to fix Conan Exiles stuttering and freezes on AMD CPUs
Have you ever wanted to apply for a job and the required format for your CV is .doc, or .docx but your CV is in the […]
If music is your passion and you feel the desire to create a unique piece of music or a personal mix, you’ve come to the […]
The game industry has constantly evolved from the first simple arcade games that had a simple architecture and pixelated graphics. With the latest advancements in […]