Can’t install drivers on Windows 10? Here’s how to fix it
If you’ve tried all you can but you just can’t install drivers on your Windows 10 PC, here are 5 solutions to fix the issue.
What to do if Windows 10 drivers won’t install
1. Run Hardware and Devices troubleshooter
If you can’t install drivers on Windows 10, then run the Hardware and Devices troubleshooter to resolve the issue.
This checks for commonly occurring issues and ensures any new device or hardware is correctly installed on your computer.
Here’s how to go about it:
- Right click Start
- Select Control Panel
- Go to View by option on the top right corner
- Click the drop down arrow and select Large icons
- Click Troubleshooting
- Click View all option on the left pane
- Click Hardware and Devices
- Click Advanced
- Click Run as Administrator
- Click Next
Follow the instructions to run the Hardware and Devices troubleshooter. The troubleshooter will begin detecting any issues.
2. Run DISM tool
If you still can’t install drivers on Windows 10, run the DISM tool, or Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool.
The DISM tool helps fix Windows corruption errors when Windows Updates and service packs fail to install due to corruption errors, like if you have a damaged system file.
Here’s how to run the DISM command on your PC to check if it helps you when you can’t install Windows 10:
- Click Start
- In the search field box, type CMD
- Click Command Prompt in the search results list
- Type Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth
- Type Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
Once the repair is complete, reboot your computer and try to install drivers on Windows 10 again.
3. Run an SFC scan
Here’s how to do this:
- Click Start
- Go to the search field box and type CMD
- Select Command Prompt
- Right click and select Run as Administrator
- Type sfc/scannow
- Press Enter
- Restart your computer
You can also use one of the registry cleaners listed in this article.
If you still can’t install drivers on Windows 10, try the next solution.
4. Perform a Clean Boot
Performing a clean boot for your computer reduces conflicts related to software that can bring up the root causes why you can’t install drivers on Windows 10.
These conflicts can be caused by applications and services that start up and run in the background whenever you start Windows normally.
How to perform a clean boot
In order to successfully perform a clean boot on Windows 10, you have to be logged on as the administrator, then follow these steps:
- Go to the search box
- Type msconfig
- Select System Configuration
- Find Services tab
- Select Hide all Microsoft services box
- Click Disable all
- Go to Startup tab
- Click Open Task Manager
- Close Task manager then click Ok
- Reboot your computer
You will have a clean boot environment after all these steps are carefully followed, after which you can try and check if you still can’t install drivers, or if the problem is gone.
5. Perform a System Reset
Performing a reset allows you to choose which files you want to keep, or remove, and then reinstalls Windows.
Here’s how to get started:
- Click Start
- Click Settings
- Click Update & Security
- Click Recovery on the left panel
- Click Advanced options
- Click Reset this PC
- Click Get started and choose an option either Keep my files, Remove everything, or Restore factory settings
Note: all your personal files will be deleted and settings reset. Any apps you installed will be removed, and only pre-installed apps that came with your PC will be reinstalled.
Have you tried to install the drivers again after using any of these solutions? Let us know your experience in the comments section.
RELATED STORIES TO CHECK OUT:
- No sound after Realtek driver update? Here’s how to fix this issue
- No sound after installing NVIDIA Graphics Drivers [Fix]
- How to fix DIFxDriverPackageInstall Error = 10 when installing your printer
Oftentimes, there is a rather weird The package could not be registered error message that shows up every time you try to open a .jpg […]
Whether you want to build a website for the personal blog, professional blog, or to offer services or to start ecommerce store, knowing what website […]
If you’re planning to buy a Christmas gift for a person who already has everything, you’d better be ready to spend a nice fortune on […]