Fix: can’t install iCloud on Windows 10
The iCloud for Windows software enables you to sync Apple’s cloud storage with your Windows desktop or laptop. This is certainly handy software for sharing documents, photos, videos and calendars across multiple devices. However, some Windows 10 users have reported that they can’t install iCloud. So if you’re getting any kind of installer package error for iCloud, these are a few potential fixes that might get the software up and running.
Add the Windows Media Pack to Windows 10 N/KN
First, note that Windows Media Player is an essential requirement for the iCloud for Windows software. The WMP is widely included with most Windows 10 versions except N and KN. So N and KN users might get an error message stating that media features are missing when installing iCloud. The error message also states that you need to download the Media Feature Pack.
- Open this website page from which you can save the Media Feature Pack to your hard drive.
- Press the Download button on that page.
- Then you can select to download the KB3099229_x86.msu or KB3099229_x64.msu Media Feature Pack. The KB3099229_x64.msu option is for 64-bit Windows, and KB3099229_x86.msu is the 32-bit version.
- Press the Next button to download the Media Feature Pack.
- Then you can open the installer to install the pack.
Turn Windows Media Player On
If you’re still getting a missing media features error with WMP installed, the media features probably aren’t configured correctly. Press the Cortana button on the taskbar, enter the keyword ‘turn Windows’ in the search box and select Turn Windows features on or off to open the window below.
- That window includes a Media Features check box. If that check box isn’t selected, click the + to expand Media Features.
- Now select the Windows Media Player check box to turn the WMP on.
- Press the OK button to close the Media Features window.
Run the iCloud Installer as Administrator
This is a simple fix that can be effective. Try restarting Windows 10, and then run the iCloud software installer as an administrator. To run the installer as an administrator, right-click the iCloud setup file and select Run as administrator from the context menu.
Uninstall the Previous iCloud for Windows Version
If you’re attempting to install a more update iCloud version to replace an older version, uninstall the outdated copy of the software first. It’s also better to do that with a third-party utility such as Revo Uninstaller which removes leftover junk files. Uninstall the antiquated iCloud software version as follows.
- First, sign out from iCloud for Windows.
- Restart the Windows OS, and press the Free Download button on this website page to install Revo Uninstaller.
- Open Revo, click Uninstaller and then select to remove iCloud for Windows.
- Select Advanced mode to thoroughly remove the software.
- Press the Uninstall button to remove iCloud for Windows.
- Thereafter, press Next to erase leftover registry items.
- Close Revo Uninstaller and restart Windows.
- Now open the installer for the update iCloud version.
Run the Program Install and Uninstall Troubleshooter
Windows 10 doesn’t include a built-in Program Install and Uninstall troubleshooter. However, there is a downloadable Program Install and Uninstall troubleshooter for Windows. This can detect and fix any issues that might be blocking the software from installing.
- First, open this website page and press the Download button there to save the troubleshooter to Windows.
- Select MicrosoftProgram_Install_and_Uninstall.meta to open the troubleshooter in the snapshot directly below.
- Click Advanced and select Apply repairs automatically.
- Press the Next button to run the troubleshooter.
- Select the Installing option to detect and fix software installation errors.
- The troubleshooter asks you to select a program you’re trying to install. Select iClouds for Windows from that list, and then press the Next button.
The new Windows Virtual Desktop (WVD) product and strategy announced last year in September is here. Well, the Redmond giant planned to offer an early […]
Microsoft just released KB4493132 to Windows 7 computers thus adding end of support notifications.The notifications remind users to upgrade to Windows 10 before January 14th, 2020. The […]
The Redmond giant has recently announced the Variable Rate Shading feature for DirectX 12. This new feature helps developers to increase graphics quality, enhance performance and […]