- The default download location in Windows 10 is stored in the C drive.
- However, your system files and other programs are also installed in that drive, which means that you don't have a lot of space left for downloads.
- It is very easy to change the default location of the Windows 10 download folder, and you have two different options for doing this.
Has it ever happened to you when trying to download a file, folder, or perhaps a program in Windows 7, or Windows 10, you didn’t have enough free disk space to do so?
In the tutorial below, you’ll learn how easy it is to change the default download location on your Windows 10 PC in only five minutes of your time.
What is the default download location?
Windows 10 has the default download location folder set in your C:/ drive, where you also have your operating system. This is the reason why, most probably, you won’t have that much space available.
So, without wasting any more time, let’s begin the tutorial and set our a new directory for our downloaded items.
How can I change where downloads go on Windows 10?
1. Change the download location via Downloads Properties
- Go to This PC.
- Right-click on Downloads.
- Click on Properties.
- Press on the Location tab presented on the upper side of that window.
- Now that you have selected the Location tab you can see the path where the download items are going.
- Click on the Move… button you have under the specified path.
- Write the drive where you want your items to be downloaded and also in which folder. Note: If the folder doesn’t exist after you click on Apply you will be asked if you want to create that download folder and click on OK.
- Another Move folder window will appear where you will have to click Yes.
- Now, you will have to click on the OK button in the Download Properties window.
- Go to the location where you selected to download files and check if Windows has made a Downloads folder there.
Note: Restart your PC if it hasn’t created the Downloads folder and check again after powering up.
2. Change the download location via Settings
If Windows 10 is your OS of choice, you can also change the download folder save location from the Settings page, from the dedicated Storage section.
1. Press the Windows key on your keyboard to open the Windows search box.
2. Type settings and click on the result.
2. In the Settings app, click on System.
3. Select Storage.
4. Now, click on the option Change where new content is saved.
5. Set your preferred download location for each item category.
Also, you can change the default download location folder where downloads go when the message pops up saying that you don’t have enough free disk space on the partition.
Now you can go and download your files or programs in Windows 10 without having to worry about the download location. Share your thoughts on this article in the comments below.
Moreover, the location where a Windows 10 update is saved on your computer is tricky, but for that, you can check this guide on where’s the default download folder for the Windows 10 versions.
Finally, feel free to list your suggestions on what we can do to help you further with your Windows 7 or Windows 10 computer.