Change the network adapter type of VMWare: Here’s how to do it
We all know that every virtual machine needs a Network Adapter for connectivity. However, there are many situations when you may need to change the network adapter type of a Virtual Machine.
It looks like some users often experience some problems while allocating a new network adapter type. One of the users described the issue on VMware forums:
When I create a new network card, or modify the existing card via the api the Adapter Type is set to E1000. How do I change the adapter type to VMXNET 3?
In this guide, we will explore how you can change the network adapter type by following some easy steps.
How can I change the network adapter type in VMWare?
Change VMWare settings
- Navigate to the inventory and right-click on your virtual machine and click Edit Settings.
- Go to the Virtual Hardware tab, click Network adapter to expand it. Use the drop-down menu to choose the specific port group that you want to connect. You will see a list of distributed and standard port groups that you can use to establish a connection.
- Choose a network resource pool port group if you are interested in providing network adapter bandwidth from a reserved quota with the help of vSphere Network I/O Control version 3.
- You can also change the Status settings to Connected or Connect at power on.
- Now use the Adapter Type drop-down menu to choose the desired network adapter type.
- Use the drop-down menu to assign the MAC address to either Automatic or Manual.
- Allocate the bandwidth to the network adapter if it is connected to a distributed port group of a vSphere Network I/O Control version 3 enabled distributed switch.
- It should be noted that allocating bandwidth to SR-IOV passthrough network adapters is prohibited.
- Set the relative priority of the traffic from the virtual machine by using the Shares drop-down menu.
- You need to set a minimum bandwidth for the VM network adapter when the VM is turned on. Use the Reservation text box to set the limit.
- Finally set a bandwidth limit for the VM network adapter with the help of the Limit text box.
- Click the OK button to save the new settings.
Once the new settings are saved successfully, you should now be able to see the new network adapter type.
There you go, a quick an easy guide on how to change network adapter type in VMWare. If you found this solution helpful, let us know in the comments section below.
RELATED ARTICLES YOU NEED TO CHECK OUT:
- Looking for best browser for VMware Web Client? [TOP 3 PICKS]
- 3 of the best antivirus for VMware
- VMware users plagued by issues in latest Windows 10 update
Google Chrome is the most popular browser out there. It is a reliable tool to surf the Internet and has many great features. However, nothing […]
Uplay is an amazing game distribution platform created by Ubisoft. It can be used to buy and download games as well as DLCs. It can […]