- If you want to secure the work you do on your Windows 10 PC, then you need to know how to clear your clipboard history.
- One of the first solutions would be to try creating a shortcut by following our guide below.
- We also recommend downloading and installing a dedicated clipboard software manager.
- Run Command Prompt as administrator and perform a special command.
If you are worried about the security issues regarding your data and you want to erase as much as possible of your work after you are done, then you have a feature in Windows 10 that can help you out.
Clearing the clipboard in Windows 10 can be done very easily and represents a step forward taken towards securing the work you do.
There are some apps available for Windows 10 operating system that are also meant for clearing the clipboard and you only need to open a simple executable but in the tutorial posted below you will see firsthand how to use your operating system without having to install any other particular app and clear your Windows 10 clipboard.
How can I delete clipboard history on Windows 10?
1. Create a shortcut
- Power up your Windows 10 device.
- From the start screen presented in the Windows system, you will need to left click or tap on the “Desktop” icon presented there.
- Right click on an open space on your Windows 10 desktop.
- Left click on the feature “New” in the menu presented there.
- By left clicking on “New” you will open a new menu from which you will need to left click again on the “Shortcut” feature.
- Now a “Create Shortcut” window will open.
- In the white field under “Type the location of the item” you will need to type the following text:
cmd /c “echo off | clip”
- After you have written the text above, you will need to left click on the “Next” button presented in the lower right side of the window.
- After you left clicked on the “Next” button you will be taken to a new window .
- In the white box under the “Type a name of this shortcut” window you will have to name the shortcut you are making.
Note: For example you can name it “Clear clipboard in Windows”
- Left click on the “Finish” button you have in the lower right side of the window.
- Now you can close every window you have opened and find the icon you made on the desktop.
- Double click (left click) on the icon on the desktop and your clipboard will be cleared in Windows 10.
- If the icon with clearing the clipboard in Windows 10 did not work right away don’t be alarmed. You will need to reboot the Windows operating system, go again on your desktop as you did in the steps above and double click (left click) again on the shortcut you made.
2. Quick solutions to clear clipboard history
If you’re still worried about sensitive data being stored in your Windows clipboard, here are some additional tips and tricks on how to remove clipboard history:
- Take a new screenshot that will replace the sensitive information with random images.
- Restart your computer — yes, simply rebooting your computer will delete clipboard history.
- Clear Windows clipboard on Command Prompt by running this command as an Administrator: cmd.exe /c cd 2>”%UserProfile%empty.txt” & clip < “%UserProfile%empty.txt”
- Use ClipTTL. For more information about this tool, you can check out this post.
Another thing we recommend you to do is to download and install a dedicated clipboard software manager. These tools are very useful and easy to use by every user.
Then, if you need to manage all the data you copied on your clipboard for different tasks, and delete them when you want, you have available the best clipboard managers on the market.
Yes, it is as simple as that. You now have your very own feature to clear the clipboard in Windows 10 without having to install a new app and perhaps even pay for it to get it.
If you have any other Clipboard issues on Windows 10, take a look at this complete guide to solve them with ease.
For any question, you may have on this article, use the comments section below and we’ll try to provide you with an answer as soon as possible.