How to fix Windows 10 Update and Security tab not working
Update & Security is a special field integrated by default into the Windows 10 core system. This built-in menu offers access to processes and operations related to updating and restoration features.
Here you can check for your update history or schedule your restart for a specific time and the process is automated so you don’t have to do anything manually.
Shortly, by accessing the Update & Security window you can scan for new updates, apply certain updates, remove recently installed patches, initiate a system recovery operation and perform similar other processes.
However, sometimes you might notice that the Update & Security tab cannot be accessed. This is quite a common Windows 10 error caused by corrupted system files or by other Windows 10 malfunctions.
Fortunately, there are a few solutions that you can use to fix the Update & Security tab.
Here’s how to resolve Windows 10 Update & Security tab not working
- Run the System File Checker Tool
- Scan and fix errors using DISM commands
- Change the Windows 10 account
- Perform a system restore
Solution 1: Run the System File Checker Tool
First of all you should make sure that there aren’t corrupted files running on Windows 10. So, start a system scan by using a dedicated troubleshooter featured by default on your device:
- Open an elevated command prompt window: right-click on the Windows start icon and select Command Prompt (Admin).
- In this cmd window type sfc /scannow and press Enter.
- The scan will start; just wait until it’s completed – it might take a while depending on how many files are stored on your computer.
- If problems are found the troubleshooter should fix them automatically.
- Don’t forget to restart your PC in the end.
Solution 2: Scan and fix errors using DISM commands
Another way in which you can automatically find and fix corrupted files and processes is by running dedicated DISM commands.
Here is how you can complete this troubleshooting solution:
- Open an elevated command prompt window – just as explained above.
- In the cmd window enter the following commands (press Enter after each entry): Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth; Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth; Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth.
- Close the command prompt window and restart the Windows 10 system.
Solution 3: Change the Windows 10 account
The problem might be associated with one particular account. So, it’s recommended to create a new account as from afterwards you might be able to access the Windows 10 Update & Security tab again.
- Click on the Cortana icon, located near the Start button.
- In the Search box enter settings and pick Settings from the resulted entries.
- Then, click on Account and go to Other user accounts.
- Select Add an account from Manage other accounts.
- You will have to pick Sign in without a Microsoft account and Local account.
- Fill out the forms and save your changes.
- Now, switch to the newly created account and verify if you can access ‘Update & Security’ tab.
Solution 4: Perform a system restore
If any of the already explained methods aren’t working, you need to make a system restore.
Since Update & Security tab cannot be accessed you can complete this task through Windows 10 Advanced Startup Options menu:
- While booting your Windows 10 system, tap repeatedly on F11.
- This should bring the Windows 10 Advanced Startup Options menu.
- From there select Troubleshoot.
- From here you can choose to Reset your computer (which should be completed only if restoring it isn’t fixing your problem) or to access Advanced options.
- So, click on the second entry and then pick System Restore.
- From that point follow on-screen prompts in order to restore your device to a state where everything used to run without problems – be careful as you might lose some apps or programs (depending on which date you choose for the restore process).
- Remember: you can also choose to Reset your PC for trying to fix the Update & Security error. If you want to make a reset make sure you choose to keep your personal files as otherwise everything will be wiped out.
Hopefully, you managed to solve the Windows 10 Update & Security tab not working issue.
Usually, one of the troubleshooting solutions from above is fixing this Windows 10 problem without having to initiate a clean install of the system itself.
However, depending on each situation and how you use your Windows 10 device, the solutions might differ.
That’s why, if the issue persists, use the comment section below to describe your situation in detail. Based on the details that you offer, we can try to find the more solutions for you.
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published in October 2017 and has been since completely revamped and updated for freshness, accuracy, and comprehensiveness
Google Chrome is the most popular browser out there. It is a reliable tool to surf the Internet and has many great features. However, nothing […]
Uplay is an amazing game distribution platform created by Ubisoft. It can be used to buy and download games as well as DLCs. It can […]