- Call of Duty: Modern Warfare is a popular first-person shooter game released in 2019.
- The game has some screen indicators that come in handy while you're playing including a packet loss symbol that warns you if you're leaking packets.
- Want to better your gameplay? Start by ruling out Packet Loss.
- Visit our Gaming Hub as well to discover more reviews, news, guides, and tips & tricks.
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare it’s held in high regard by the gaming community as being one of the best Call of Duty games since Black Ops III.
It’s both the sixteenth installment of the CoD series and a reboot for the MW (Modern Warfare) series. CoD: Modern Warfare is set in a realistic, modern environment, as its name subtly hints.
You can enjoy the game in both singleplayer and multiplayer modes. It also has a Special Ops game mode that lets you cooperate with other players on missions that act as a follow-up for the campaign ones.
However, multiplayer enthusiasts really dug into CoD: Modern Warfare’s online modes. The game embraced a tactical approach that enables players to breach doors, encourages them to explore the map, and even lets them remove the HUD.
The game also features a battle royale mode that’s called Call of Duty: Warzone, where 150 players seek to be the last player/team standing. In Warzone, you can either play solo or in teams of 3 to 4 players.
CoD: Modern Warfare packet loss symbol
CoD: Modern Warfare has a bunch of screen indicators that can come in handy while you’re in the game. A quick glance at the side of your screen and you’ll know right away whether there’s something wrong or not.
The packet loss symbol also referred to as packet burst, signals that you’re experiencing packet loss. This means that some packets you send or receive never make it to destination.
If you check the warning icons guide, you’ll see that packet loss belongs in the Client category. Which means that the leak is likely on your side, or somewhere in between you and the game server.
Note that the main cause of packet loss is usually network congestion. Therefore, if you can afford it, you might want to wait for it to fix itself, as it usually does.
CoD: Modern Warfare also displays icons for server performance, high latency, latency variation (jitter), low FPS, and refresh rate.
How can I fix the packet loss in CoD: Modern Warfare?
1. Try using a VPN
- Download Private Internet Access.
- Install it on your PC, and launch it.
- Log into your PIA account.
- Connect to a fast server.
- Launch CoD: Modern Warfare.
- Check if the problem still persists.
Private Internet Access is an excellent all-round VPN solution from Kape Technologies.
Besides solving your packet loss issue, a VPN such as PIA could also help improve your privacy, bypass geo-restrictions, and secure your connection.
Private Internet AccessExperiencing packet loss in CoD: Modern Warfare? PIA might be of help.
Note: VPNs can improve packet loss, but it doesn’t work every time. Basically, it only works if your ISP is the one causing the packet loss by either having an improperly routed network or throttling your bandwidth.
2. Troubleshoot your connection manually
- Run a packet loss test using pathping.
- Note the hop where the packet loss occurs.
- Depending on your findings, take the corresponding action from this list:
- Check and repair/replace/update/upgrade any software/hardware components on your end (PC, router, cables).
- Call your ISP and inform them if there’s something wrong on their side.
- Contact CoD: Modern Warfare’s support crew if the problem seems to be on their end.
- Switch to wired instead of Wi-Fi (Wi-fi often leaks packets).
CoD: Modern Warfare packet loss is no big deal
The bottom line is that you can usually fix packet loss in CoD: Modern Warfare. More often than not it’s caused by network congestion and fixes itself. All it needs is time and a bit of patience.
However, if you don’t have the luxury of time and patience, you can try out one of our suggestions to fix it. Sometimes using a VPN can improve ping and packet loss.
If using a VPN doesn’t help, keeping your home network in top shape is always a good practice, and not only for packet loss, but for speed, and overall stability, as well.
FAQ: Learn more about CoD: Modern Warfare packet loss
- Can VPN improve packet loss?
Yes, you can use a VPN to improve packet loss, but only if it occurs on your ISP’s side. Check out our best VPNs to improve packet loss.
- Can VPN improve ping?
Sure they can. Aside from removing geo-restrictions, VPNs can also be used to improve ping in games.
- What is pathping?
Pathping is a useful Windows command-line tool that can help you trace the route of your connection while also pinging all the hops along the way and testing packet loss for each of them.Editor's Note: This article was originally published in June 2020 and was revamped and updated in November 2020 for freshness, accuracy, and comprehensiveness.