If you have for example an error message or a pop up in Windows 10 or 8.1 and you are tired of writing manually the text you get in that message you will see in this tutorial how we can copy the text by just a few keyboard buttons directly to a notepad or a word document of your choosing.
In Windows 10 and Windows 8.1 you have the great feature of copying any message that appears on your screen by using just two buttons on the keyboard and then pasting the message right away to your contact support person for Microsoft systems in order for him to help you with your issue.
Tutorial: Copy a dialog box text to clipboard on Windows 10 and 8.1
Solution 1: Use built-in Windows Function
Let’s take for example the error message “Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library” that pops on your screen unexpectedly.
In this case, if you want to copy the message to a word document and save it for later troubleshooting do the steps below.
- Click (left click) on the upper sidebar of the window error (Example: it should appear “Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library”).
- Note: Do not click (left click) on “OK” to close the pop-up window yet.
- Press and hold on the keyboard the button “Ctrl” and the button “C”.
- Note: After you pressed “Ctrl” and “C” you can click (left click) on “OK” to close the error message.
- Now open a Text document and name it as you see fit.
- Click (right click) in the text document and select from the menu “Paste”
- The message should look something like this:
Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library
An application has made an attempt to load the C runtime library incorrectly.
Please contact the application’s support team for more information.
Solution 2: Use a third-party tool
In case you want to copy more complex dialog box texts or other system messages, and you cannot do it, you can always consider a dedicated tool. SysExporter from Nirsoft is a magnificent portable tool that can help you with that. It will also allow you to copy the text inside list views, tree-views, list boxes, combo boxes, text-boxes. It will also allow you to drag and drop specific words and sentences from dialog boxes, very useful feature for specific errors. Have we mentioned that SysExtractor is portable and totally free?
Now you can see how easy it is to copy a text from a dialog box just by pressing a few buttons. For any opinions on the matter don’t hesitate to write us below.
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published in August 2014 and has been since revamped and updated for freshness, accuracy, and comprehensiveness.Editor's Note: This article was originally published in August 2014 and was revamped and updated in July 2018 for freshness, accuracy, and comprehensiveness.