If you’re seeing the error code CopyPE.cmd not working when trying to create an image file on your Windows 10 PC, you came to the right place. We’ve got a wide range of complaints about this error message.
This error is caused by the fact that Microsoft decided to remove the PE (Windows Preinstallation Environment) on Windows ADK 10 V1809 (Windows Assessment and Deployment Kit). Because of the fact that these options no longer exist in Windows in a pre-installed format, whenever you’re trying to use these specific services, your processor can’t find them on the hard-drive.
Here’s how one user described the issue on Microsoft Answers forum:
When I run copype.cmd x64 C:WinPE, I get following message :’copype.cmd’ is not working.I tried to search CopyPE but couldnt find anywhere, Any idea whats going on, Please help !!!
In this article we will explore the best methods to deal and solve this issue once and for all. Please follow the steps described here closely to avoid any issues.
Note: In order to run the ADK application without issues, you will need 15 GB of free space on your C drive. Also, when using the ADK, it is recommended that you disable any antivirus software, or add the Windows 10 Kits folder to your antivirus exclusion list.
What to do if copype is not recognized on Windows 10?
1. Download Windows 10 ADK online installer
- Click the official Microsoft download link (direct download link).
- Install the package to your computer’s hard drive by following the on-screen instructions.
2. Download Windows 10 PE V1809 online installer file
- Download this file from Microsoft (direct download link).
- Follow the on-screen instructions and fully install this software.
- After the installation of these files is completed, you can try running Windows 10 Assessment and Deployment Kit, and see if the problem persists.
In this article, we explored a quick fix that was released directly by Microsoft in order to tackle the problem with CopyPE.cmd and the wide number of other issues users had while trying to use the Windows Assessment and Deployment Kit on Windows 10.
Did this article help you? Please feel free to let us know by using the comment section found below.