How to fix Windows error 2 while loading the Java VM
3 solutions to fix Windows error 2 Java VM
The “Windows error 2 while loading the Java VM” error message is one that pops up for some users when trying to install software that rely on the Launch Anywhere Java launcher. Consequently, the users can’t install the software when that error message pops up.
That error message started to pop up for users after the release of Java VM version 1.8.0_60. If the “Windows error 2” Java VM error message sounds familiar, check out some the fixes for it below.
Steps to fix Windows error 2
1. Update Java
First, check that your Java version is up to date. If not, update Java to the latest version. This is how users can update Java in Windows.
- Users can check their Java versions via the Java Control Panel. To open that, press the Windows key + R hotkey.
- Enter ‘Control Panel’ in Run, and click the OK button.
- Then click Java in the Control Panel to open the window below.
- Click the About button to open version details. If an update is required, uninstall the previous Java version first.
- To do that, enter ‘appwiz.cpl’ in Run’s text box and clicking OK. That will open the Programs and Features applet shown in the snapshot directly below.
- Enter ‘Java’ in the search box. Then select Java and click Uninstall to remove it.
- Restart Windows after uninstalling Java.
- Open the Java download page to get the latest version. Press the Agree and Start Free Download button to save the latest Java version to a folder.
- Open the Java setup file to install the latest version.
2. Delete the Javapath System Variable
Some users have stated on forums that they’ve fixed the “Windows error 2” error by deleting a Java system variable path. So that’s one of the best resolutions for the Java VM error. Follow the guidelines below to delete the Java system variable path.
- Open Run by pressing the Windows key + R.
- Input ‘systempropertiesadvanced’ in the Open text box, and click the OK button.
- Select the Advanced tab shown directly below.
- Press the Environment Variables button, which opens the window shown directly below.
- Select the javapath variable on that window.
- Click the Delete button to erase the javapath variable.
3. Open the Software Installer via the Command Prompt
This is more of a workaround than a fix. Nevertheless, users have confirmed they can open the software’s installer via the Command Prompt. Users can open the Launch Anywhere installer via the Command Prompt as follows.
- Press the Windows key + X keyboard shortcut to open Windows 10’s Win + X menu.
- Click Command Prompt (Admin) to open the CP window as administrator.
- Windows 7 users can open the Prompt by entering ‘Command Prompt’ in the Start menu search box. Then right-click Command Prompt and select Run as administrator.
- Next, enter a LAX_VM command in the Prompt as follows: Installer_file.exe LAX_VM C:Program FilesJavajdk1.8.0_60binjava.exe. Then press the Return key.
Note that the LAX_VM command above is an example that users will need to modify so that it matches their exact installer file names and JDK paths. The syntax for the above Prompt command is: <installer file name> LAX_VM <full Java (JDK) executable path>.
Thus, users will need to edit the installer file name at least. Some users might also need to adjust the folder path if they’ve installed JDK at a custom directory. However, C:Program FilesJavajdk1.8.0_60binjava.exe is the default JDK directory.
So that’s how users can resolve the Java VM error in Windows. Users can also download a hotfix patch for the “Windows error 2 while loading the Java VM” error at this webpage.
- Jar files not opening on Windows 10 [Fix]
- How to fix Windows 10 error “unable to access jarfile”
- How to run a Jar file on Windows PC
- FIX: Can’t install anything on my Windows 10 PC
Google Chrome is the most popular browser out there. It is a reliable tool to surf the Internet and has many great features. However, nothing […]
Uplay is an amazing game distribution platform created by Ubisoft. It can be used to buy and download games as well as DLCs. It can […]