- Dell introduced a new tool called Dell Migrate that can help users transfer data between PCs.
- This article will be showing you exactly what you need to do in order to use this new service.
- Want to read more about this amazing manufacturer? Check out our dedicated Dell Hub.
- Even more great tutorials can be found on our How-To page, so check that out as well.
Dell is one of the biggest tech giants in the PC industry, and it constantly rolls out new products, both hardware, and software.
They even have a proprietary set of services called Dell SupportAssist that acts as a platform filled with tools that can allow users to better handle their Dell PCs.
That being said, Dell introduced another neat tool called Migrate, and it aims to help Dell users migrate their data from an old Dell PC to a new one in the most efficient way imaginable.
The guide below will be showing you exactly what you need to do in order to use Dell Migrate efficiently.
Before proceeding, make sure that these conditions are met first:
- The OS installed on the source PC needs to be Windows 8 or higher
- The OS installed on the Dell target PC needs to be Windows 10 or higher
- You need to be logged into the source PC as an Administrator
- Both source and target Dell Pc are connected to the same LAN
- No applications are running on either source or target PC when you start the migration
How do I use Dell Migrate to transfer my data?
If you meet all of the criteria, go ahead, and follow the steps below:
- Turn on your source PC
- Open a browser and go to this website
- Scroll through the page until you see the Dell Data Assistant
- Download the executable file to your source PC, and then run it
- On your Dell target PC, press Start
- Search for Support Assist and then launch it
- You need to have Dell SupportAssist installed in order for this to work
- Go to the SupportAssist Home menu
- At the bottom of the menu, click on Go now
- Alternatively, you can go to Troubleshooting > Copy my files and settings from another PC > Go now
- Select Get Started
- Click Connect on the next page
- You will be asked for a verification code
- Input the one from your source PC
- Dell Migrate will scan the source PC for any data that it can migrate
- As far as data transfer goes, you will need to choose one of the following options:
- Click Migrate now
- Your data should now migrate, and you can view a brief summary of how the operation went, and if everything is OK.
Here are some of the things that you should know about Dell Migrate:
- Supposedly, it is far more efficient at transferring all of your data compared to other similar migration tools.
- The software can be used on any brand of PC, but the destination PC needs to be a Dell.
- You can continue working on your PC while the migration is happening
By following these steps, you should be able to efficiently use Dell Migrate to transfer all of your settings and data from an old PC to a newer one.
Let us know if you found this article helpful by leaving us a message in the comments section below.
FAQ: Learn more about Dell SupportAssist
- What is Dell SupportAssist?
Dell SupportAssist is a control panel for system tools and diagnostics proprietary to Dell PCs.
- Do I need Dell Support Assist?
Dell SupportAssist is not considered vital software since you can do most of the operations included within it manually as well.
- Should I remove Dell SupportAssist?
Cataloged as bloatware, Dell SupportAssist should be removed from your system if you never plan on actually using it.