Today, we will be addressing an issue encountered by Windows users on Dell PCs. If you are one of Dell PC users, then you must have encountered error ‘Dell Error Code 2000-0146’ which causes your PC to freeze and prevents software applications from responding.
The error problem is associated with many factors such as system freeze, slow performance, system crashes, virus infections, Windows problem, hard drive issues and Windows Registry problems. In addition, error 0146 indicates the logs of errors on the hard drive which results in the hard drive problem.
However, we try to provide solutions to various PC problems, here, on Windows Report. Some potential fixes for Dell PC error 0146
How to fix Dell PC error code 0146
- Run a full system scan
- Run Disk CheckUp
- Repair PC Registry
- Run PSA Diagnostics
- Reset BIOS Settings
- Run System Restore in safe mode
- Run your PC in Safe Mode and Clean Boot
Solution 1: Run a full system scan
A virus can corrupt the hard drive and trigger the error code 0146. Run a full system scan on your PC to remove every possible virus corruption. There are several third-party antivirus software around that you may use; however, you can use Windows’ built-in antivirus, Windows Defender. Here’s how to run a full system scan on Windows 10 Creators Update:
- Go to Start > type ‘defender’ > double click Windows Defender to launch the tool.
- In the left-hand pane, select the shield icon.
- In the new window, click the “Advanced scan” option.
- Check the full scan option to launch a full system malware scan.
If you are done scanning your PC, it is advisable that you remove all the viruses; the option may be “clean” or “delete” depending on the Antivirus that you are using. This will definitely solve the pc error code 0146 problem.
We highly recommend you try one of the best antivirus software, as they have free trials (Bullguard, Panda) and you can test them on your PC and see the benefits yourself. Bitdefender is the World’s nr.1 Antivirus solution and has a special discount at the moment.
- Read Also: 10 best antivirus programs for browsing
Solution 2: Run Disk CheckUp
Another way of fixing the error problem is by running disk cleanup on your Windows PC. Disk Cleanup is a Windows utility program that reduces the number of unnecessary files on your hard disk to free up disk space.
It also removes temporary files, empties the Recycle Bin, and removes unwanted system files; which could be responsible for the error 0146 problem. Here’s how to run Disk Cleanup:
- Go to Start > Type Disk Cleanup and hit “Enter”.
- Wait for Disk cleanup to scan your drive(s).
- After the scanning, check the “Temporary files” box, and then click on “OK” to delete.
- Select “delete files” to proceed.
Solution 3: Repair PC Registry
The utility program verifies the integrity of all system files and repairs files with problems when possible. Here’s how to run an SFC scan on all Windows’ versions:
- Go to Start > type cmd > right-click Command Prompt > select Run as Administrator.
- Now, type the sfc /scannow command
- Wait for the scanning process to complete and then restart your computer. All corrupted files will be replaced on reboot.
Solution 4: Run PSA Diagnostics
Normally, all Dell desktop/laptop comes with a built-in diagnostics program; this program is known as PSA Diagnostics. This diagnostics tool carries out troubleshooting on your Dell PC and can fix any issues including the error code 0146. Here’s how to run PSA Diagnostics:
- Restart your Dell PC.
- Press “F12” key continuously until the Dell logo appears. Wait until “One Time Boot” Menu appears.
- Now, press the “Down” Arrow on your keyboard to highlight “PSA Diagnostics” option.
- Hit the “Enter” button.
- Then PSA will start automatically. Follow the prompts to solve the error issue.
Solution 5: Reset BIOS Settings
BIOS consist of system settings which determine PC functionality and performance. However, you may have to reset BIOS settings to default state on your PC in order to fix error code 0146. Follow these steps to reset your Dell PC BIOS:
- First of all, restart your Dell PC.
- Hit the “F2” key repeatedly until a System Setup screen window appears.
- Now, Hit on the “Right Arrow” on your keyboard and wait until “Exit” menu is highlighted.
- Next, hit on the “Down Arrow” on your keyboard and select “Load Optimized Defaults” option.
- Finally, hit the “Enter” button.
Solution 6: Run System restore in safe mode
Running system restore can also fix the error problem on your Windows PC. Safe mode is a diagnostics mode in Windows which starts your PC with only basic files and drivers running.
However, you can perform system restore in safe mode to revert back to a certain restore point on your system devoid of the error message display on startup. Here’s how to do this:
- Shut down your PC and turn it on again.
- Navigate to the “Run in Safe Mode” option and hit “Enter”.
- Go to Start > Type system restore and then hit “Enter”.
- Follow the prompts to revert back to a certain restore point.
- Wait for the process to complete, and then reboot.
Note: Ensure you are able to identify the restore point date before the error message started. System restore does not affect any of your files, documents, and personal data.
Solution 7: Run your PC in Safe Mode and Clean Boot
In addition, you can also fix the error problem by running your PC in safe mode and clean boot. However, ensure you disconnect all attached devices such as Wi-Fi adapter, Modem, wireless printer, router, and other external devices. Here’s how to run your PC in safe mode and clean boot:
- Turn off your PC.
- Turn your PC on again. Press and hold the “F8” key. (Wait until the Windows logo come up.
- Select “Safe mode with networking” and hit the “Enter” key.
- Go to Start > Press “Windows” and “R” keys > Type “msconfig”, and hit “Enter” to open System Configuration Utility.
- In the System Configuration Utility window, click on the “General” tab followed by “Selective startup”.
- Hence, uncheck the “load startup items” box, Click on “Services”.
- Now, tick “hide all Microsoft services” box and disable all.
Read Also: How to fix PC error 1962 in Lenovo computers
Solution 8: Replace your Hard Disk Drive (HDD)
Finally, you may need to replace your PC’s HDD because it may be faulty. You can remove your HDD, connect it to another PC to access the files and folders on the PC; this will enable you to backup important files for security purpose.
If the new PC is unable to identify and access the HDD, then you definitely need to replace it with a new one. You can purchase the new HDD from your PC manufacturer online retailing website, Amazon or from your local computer shop. However, we highly recommended that you can carry out the replacement by a professional – computer engineer.
Let us know by leaving your comment below if this has helped solve your Dell PC error code 0146 problem. If not, describe your issue thoroughly and we’ll try to find a fix together.
RELATED STORIES TO CHECK OUT:
- Dell laptops boot to a black screen in Creators Update [FIX]
- Aptio Setup Utility stuck on Asus laptops? Here’s how to fix it
- How to fix “The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable” error on PC