- Even if your computer runs smoothly, sometimes, you will encounter errors such as the device requires further installation.
- When getting this error message, check out our solutions about different driver solutions available.
- To perform good driver management, you should carefully consult this article before taking action.
- Try out our efficient solutions and tell us in a comment which one of them was the best for solving this issue.
Devices and drivers are crucial parts of your operating system, so they need must run smoothly. This is not always the case. Many users encountered the Device requires further installation error message in Windows 10.
One user described the following issue in the Microsoft official forum:
Many of my devices (PCI, USB etc.) have a note in the event log stating that they “require further installation“. Has anyone any idea what “further installation” is required and how can this be accomplished ?. What does this note mean? Like many other posters here I have the latest manufactures drivers, I have the latest W-10 updates, I have run the troubleshooter (useless). Some of the devices seem to work OK, some seem to partially work.
So, the user doesn’t know what further installation is necessary. Also, the computer has the latest Windows 10 updates and the latest drivers.
However, things are not as complicated as they seem and today we will show you how to fix the problem.
What to do if a device requires further installation?
1. Check the last Timestamp
- Press the Windows Key + R, type devmgmt.msc, and click OK.
- In Device Manager, select your device and Properties.
- Check the last Timestamp.
2. Update your drivers
- Type in Device Manager the search bar, open it, and search for your driver.
- Once you found it, right-click on that component.
- Select the Update driver option.
- Wait for Windows to perform the required task.
This solution requires you to use the Device Manager from Windows and search for the problematic driver.
After you have found it and updated it using these steps, the device requires further installation should disappear.
As an alternative to using Device Manager, you can always try a professional third-party software. That software will uninstall drivers and delete all files related to them.
Most of the time, the generic drivers for your PC’s hardware and peripherals are not properly updated by the system.There are key differences between a generic driver and a manufacturer’s driver.Searching for the right driver version for each of your hardware components can become tedious. That’s why an automated assistant can help you find and update your system with the correct drivers every time, and we strongly recommend DriverFix. Here’s how to do it:
- Download and install DriverFix.
- Launch the software.
- Wait for the detection of all your faulty drivers.
- DriverFix will now show you all the drivers that have issues, and you just need to select the ones you’d liked fixed.
- Wait for the app to download and install the newest drivers.
- Restart your PC for the changes to take effect.
Keep your PC components drivers working perfectly without putting your PC at risk.
Disclaimer: this program needs to be upgraded from the free version in order to perform some specific actions.
3. Reinstall the driver
- Open the Device Manager, and search for your driver.
- Right-click on that driver and choose Uninstall.
- Restart the computer.
- Wait for Windows to automatically reinstall the missing driver.
- Verify in the Events tab if the error message Device requires further installation disappeared.
If updating your driver doesn’t work, you might want to try reinstalling the driver completely. This will fix the Device requires further installation error message.
Sometimes, devices don’t install correctly. Luckily, this is not a major issue. As you can see, the Device requires further installation error message can be solved easily. Update or uninstall and reinstall the driver.
Still, before that, make sure there’s indeed a problem by checking out the last timestamp.
Did our solutions work for you? How did you solve Device requires further installation error message in Windows 10? Do let us know in the comments section below!
Frequently Asked Questions
If Windows Installer is not installed correctly, you may perform a clean boot on your PC or use the DISM tool. If necessary, check out this quick guide to fix failed DISM issues.
To identify the culprit, waste no more time and run the Troubleshooter. Check out our thorough article on the subject for more details.
Windows 10 has a special tool that deals with update issues. You will need to run the Windows Update Troubleshooter to fix it fast.