- Even if your computer runs smoothly, you may come across errors such as the Device requires further installation log in Device Manager.
- The log usually appears when the driver for the device is not fully installed.
- To fix things, we recommend you update the driver. Also, make sure to check all possible sources for the updated version.
Devices and drivers are crucial parts of your operating system, and it’s imperative that these run smoothly. Though, it is not always the case. Many users encountered the Device requires further installation error log in Windows.
The worst part, this error can appear out of the blue and affects almost every device, no matter even if you are running the latest version of the OS.
What does it mean when a device requires further installation?
This issue is similar to What needs your attention error message, and it usually appears if there are driver problems, so you might have to reinstall them.
Also, in this case, Windows usually is not done installing the driver, and that’s why you see the error message.
Here are some of the devices for which you may see the error log, as well as other error variations that you can fix with the solutions below:
- Device PCI requires further installation GPU – Many users reported the error log with this PCI device.
- Camera device requires further installation – The most is most commonly encountered with cameras or webcams.
- Device PCI requires further installation Wi-Fi – Any PCI device, or simply the ones connected to the motherboard, or prone to this error, including the Wi-Fi adapter.
- Device BTHENUM requires further installation – This is a system driver related to the Bluetooth functionality and allows connection to devices via Bluetooth. Restarting the device should fix the problem for most.
- Device PCI requires further installation NVIDIA – The issue is often seen with the NVIDIA graphics, and the fixes below would help.
- Device VMbus requires further installation – VMbus is related to Hyper-V and is sometimes affected by the error.
- Device PCI requires further installation in Windows 10/11 – The solutions below are applicable for both OSs.
- Device PCI had a problem starting – Update the driver before anything else in order to fix this error.
- Device PCI ven_8086&dev/ven_1002&dev requires further installation – You can also manually install the driver directly from the manufacturer’s website.
Follow along to find out how to fix all of these errors!
How we test, review and rate?
We have worked for the past 6 months on building a new review system on how we produce content. Using it, we have subsequently redone most of our articles to provide actual hands-on expertise on the guides we made.
For more details you can read how we test, review, and rate at WindowsReport.
How do I fix PCI requires further installation?
Before we head to the full-fledged solutions, here are a few quick tricks and workarounds that worked for many users in case of a trivial underlying cause:
- Make sure you are viewing the latest log. In many cases, users later realized that the Device requires further installation log was an old one, and the latest confirmed a successful installation.
- Restart the computer.
- Wait for a while and let Windows completely install the drivers if you are seeing the error right after an upgrade.
- Disconnect and reconnect the affected device. Also, if you have multiple ports on the computer, try connecting it to another one. Besides, you may use another port type, for instance, connect a device plugged into USB 2.0 to a USB 3.0 port, and vice versa.
If this doesn’t help, try the following methods.
1. Update the driver
The very first solution you should consider in order to fix device requires further installation is to make sure that your drivers are up-to-date. Thus, follow the steps below to apply the method accordingly.
1. Type Device Manager in the Search bar, and click on the relevant search result.
2. Locate the problematic device, right-click on it, and select Update driver.
3. Now, select Search automatically for drivers.
4. Wait for Windows to find the best available version on the system and install it.
5. Restart your PC to apply the changes.
Alternatively, you can try automatic updater software such as Outbyte software. It will automatically update your drivers and fix any damaged or missing drivers on your PC.
Outbyte Driver UpdaterThe best automatic software for updating your device drivers without any effort.
2. Manually install the driver
- Press Windows + R to open Run, type devmgmt.msc in the text field, and hit Enter.
- Right-click on the problematic device, and select Update driver.
- Now, select Browse my computer for drivers.
- Select Let me pick from a list of available drivers on my computer.
- Finally, choose another driver from the list, and click on Next.
- Choose the appropriate response in case a confirmation prompt pops up.
- If this doesn’t work, try another driver from the list until you manage to fix the problem.
This method has helped several users fix the Device driver requires further installation error in Windows, and we recommend you give it a try.
3. Check for issues
- Type Security and Maintenance in the Search bar, and click on the search result that goes by the same name.
- Check for any issues listed here, and take the necessary actions to eliminate the root cause.
If wasn’t the driver, you could check for issues in Security and Maintenance and fix them in no time.
By now, we expect the Device requires further installation error to be fixed. In case it persists, we recommend you consult a professional and get your PC looked at since it could be a hardware issue.
Also, get the best driver updater software for Windows and stop worrying about issues with it. Besides, running the latest driver version will boost the computer’s performance.
If you have any other queries or know of another method to fix the problem, drop them in the comments section below.