- You want your computer to run smoothly and that’s what you are used to get. Even in the best of times, it happens to encounter errors such as Device requires further installation.
- When getting this error message, checking the last Timestamp or reinstalling the driver may help.
- This article is part of our detailed section that discusses install errors. Don’t hesitate to check it out closely.
- This is just one of the many computer issues that you can encounter. If you have additional problems, check our dedicated Windows 10 errors hub for more solutions.
Devices and drivers are crucial parts of your PC and your operating system. So, they need to run smoothly. But this is not always the case.
Many users encountered the Device requires further installation error message in Windows 10.
One user described the following issue in the Microsoft official forum:
Many of my devices (PCI, USB etc.) have a note in the event log stating that they “require further installation“. Has anyone any idea what “further installation” is required and how can this be accomplished ?. What does this note mean? Like many other posters here I have the latest manufactures drivers, I have the latest W-10 updates, I have run the troubleshooter (useless). Some of the devices seem to work OK, some seem to partially work.
So, the user doesn’t know what further installation is necessary. Also, the computer has the latest Windows 10 updates and the latest drivers.
However, things are not as complicated as they seem and today we will show you how to fix the problem.
What to do if a device requires further installation?
1. Check the last Timestamp
- Press the Windows Key + R, type devmgmt.msc and click OK.
- In Device Manager, select your device and Properties.
- Check the last Timestamp.
2. Reinstall the driver
If updating your driver doesn’t work, you might want to try reinstalling the driver completely to fix the Device requires further installation error message.
So, go again to the Device Manager.
- Right-click on the driver and select Uninstall.
- Restart your computer and Windows should reinstall the driver automatically if you have an internet connection.
- Go to the Event tab to check if the message “Device requires further installation” disappeared.
Alternatively, you can try a third-party tool to uninstall your drivers. In this manner, you make sure everything gets deleted so no issues will reappear after the installation.
Sometimes, devices don’t install correctly. Luckily, this is not a major issue. As you can see, the Device requires further installation error message can be solved easily. Uninstall and reinstall the driver.
Still, before that, make sure there’s indeed a problem by checking out the last timestamp.
Did our solutions work for you? How did you solve Device requires further installation error message in Windows 10? Do let us know in the comments section below!
FAQ: Learn more about installation errors in Windows 10
- What to do if Windows Installer is not installed correctly?
If Windows Installer is not installed correctly, you may perform a clean boot on your PC or use the DISM tool. If necessary, check out this quick guide to fix failed DISM issues.
- Why did Windows 10 fail to install?
To identify the culprit, waste no more time and run the Troubleshooter. It can automatically detect and try to fix problems with updates and failed installs, so that’s your chance to get a precise answer. Check out our thorough article on the subject for more details.
- Why won’t my laptop install updates?
Windows 10 has a special tool that deals with update issues. Run Windows Update Troubleshooter and find out why your laptop won’t install updates any longer.
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published in August 2019 and has been since revamped and updated in April 2020 for freshness, accuracy, and comprehensiveness.Editor's Note: This article was originally published in August 2019 and was revamped and updated in August 2020 for freshness, accuracy, and comprehensiveness.