Fix: PCI BUS DRIVER INTERNAL error in Windows 10
Blue Screen of Death errors are one of the most problematic errors on Windows 10. Errors such as PCI BUS DRIVER INTERNAL can cause you a lot of problems, but fortunately for you, there’s is a way to fix this error.
How to fix PCI BUS DRIVER INTERNAL errors
- Update Windows 10
- Update your drivers
- Run the Hardware Troubleshooter
- Run the SFC scan
- Run DISM
- Remove overclock settings
- Remove problematic software
- Reset Windows 10
- Check your hardware
Steps to fix PCI BUS DRIVER INTERNAL
Solution 1 – Update Windows 10
Before we start fixing this error it’s important that your Windows 10 is up to date. Microsoft is working hard on Windows 10, and new updates are released frequently through Windows Update.
Many of these updates address certain hardware and software issues, and in order to prevent BSoD errors, such as PCI_BUS_DRIVER_INTERNAL error, be sure to update Windows 10 frequently.
Solution 2 – Update your drivers
Installing Windows updates is crucial for system stability and safety, but your PC drivers are important as well. Windows 10 relies on these drivers in order to communicate with your hardware, and in case certain driver is outdated or not compatible with Windows 10, that can cause PCI BUS DRIVER INTERNAL error to appear. You can easily fix these errors by updating your drivers, and in order to do that, you just need to visit your hardware manufacturer’s website and download all the necessary drivers.
Update drivers automatically
Searching for drivers on your own can be time-consuming. So, we advise you to use a tool that will do this for you automatically. Using an automatic driver updater will certainly save you from the hassle of searching for drivers manually, and it will always keep your system up to date with the latest drivers.
Tweakbit’s Driver Updater (approved by Microsoft and Norton Antivirus) will help you update drivers automatically and prevent PC damage caused by installing the wrong driver versions. After several tests, our team concluded that this is the best-automatized solution.
Here is a quick guide on how to use it:
- Download and install TweakBit Driver Updater
- Once installed, the program will start scanning your PC for outdated drivers automatically. Driver Updater will check your installed driver versions against its cloud database of the latest versions and recommend proper updates. All you need to do is wait for the scan to complete.
- Upon scan completion, you get a report on all problem drivers found on your PC. Review the list and see if you want to update each driver individually or all at once. To update one driver at a time, click the ‘Update driver’ link next to the driver name. Or simply click the ‘Update all’ button at the bottom to automatically install all recommended updates.
Note: Some drivers need to be installed in multiple steps so you will have to hit the ‘Update’ button several times until all of its components are installed.
Solution 3 – Run the Hardware Troubleshooter
Now, we’re going to try Windows 10’s troubleshooting tools. The first tool we’re going to use is also the simplest one. That’s Windows 10’s built-in troubleshooter. This tool can be used to resolve various issues, including the BSOD problems.
Here’s how to run Windows 10’s troubleshooter:
- Open the Settings app and go to Update & Security section.
- Select Troubleshoot from the menu on the left.
- Select BSOD from the right pane and click Run the troubleshooter.
- Follow the instructions on the screen to complete the troubleshooter.
Solution 4 – Run the SFC scan
If the built-in troubleshooter failed to resolve the problem, let’s try the SFC scan. This command-line tool scans your system and searches for potential problems. The SFC scan will automatically resolve any issue, if the solution is possible.
Here’s how to run the SFC scan in Windows 10:
- Right-click on the Start Menu button, and open Command Prompt (Admin).
- Enter the following line and press Enter: sfc/scannow
- Wait until the process is done (it may take a while).
- If the solution is found, it will automatically be applied.
- Now, close the Command Prompt and restart your computer.
Solution 5 – Run DISM
And finally, if none of the previous troubleshooters resolved the problem, the final one we’re going to try is DISM. Deployment Image Servicing and Management (DISM) is a tool that reloads the system image, and possible issues may get resolved along the way. So, running this tool may fix the PCI_BUS_DRIVER_INTERNAL error.
We’ll walk you through both standard and the procedure that utilizes the installation media below:
- Standard way
- Right-click Start and open Command Prompt (Admin).
- Paste the following command and press Enter:
- Wait until the scan is finished.
- Restart your computer and try updating again.
- With the Windows installation media
- Insert your Windows installation media.
- Right-click the Start menu and, from the menu, choose the Command Prompt (Admin).
- In the command line, type the following commands and press Enter after each:
- dism /online /cleanup-image /scanhealth
- dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth
- Now, type the following command and press Enter:
- DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /source:WIM:X:SourcesInstall.wim:1 /LimitAccess
- Make sure to change an X value with the letter of the mounted drive with Windows 10 installation.
- After the procedure is finished, restart your computer.
Solution 6 – Remove overclock settings
By using overclocking software you can change how certain hardware works and achieve better performance, but overclocking your hardware comes with certain risks. By overclocking your hardware you can potentially damage your computer, and you can cause system instability and BSoD errors such as PCI_BUS_DRIVER_INTERNAL.
Few users reported that they managed to fix this error by setting the memory clock to default value, but bear in mind that almost any overclock setting can cause these types of errors, therefore, be sure to remove all overclock settings and check if that fixes the error.
Solution 7 – Remove problematic software
Blue Screen of Death errors can be caused by incompatible software, and if that’s the case, it’s highly advised that you locate and remove that software. VPN clients are known to cause these types of errors, so if you’re using these programs be sure to remove them.
Another type of software that causes these types of errors is your antivirus. Many antivirus programs can cause PCI_BUS_DRIVER_INTERNAL error, and in order to fix this problem, it’s advised that you uninstall all antivirus programs from your computer. Even if you uninstall all third-party antivirus programs, you will still be protected by Windows Defender, so your PC won’t be completely defenseless. It’s worth mentioning that antivirus software will often leave certain files and registry entries behind once you uninstall it, and sometimes even those files can cause BSoD errors. To completely remove certain antivirus it’s advised that you use dedicated removal tools. All major antivirus companies have removal tools for their software available for download, so be sure to download one of these tools.
Solution 8 – Reset Windows 10
If the PCI_BUS_DRIVER_INTERNAL error is caused by software, you can fix it by performing a Windows 10 reset. This procedure is similar to clean install, and it will remove all files from your C partition, so before you start Windows 10 reset, we strongly advise that you create backup for your important files. It’s also worth mentioning that this procedure might require Windows 10 installation media, and you can easily create bootable USB flash drive by using Media Creation Tool. To perform Windows 10 reset, you need to do the following:
- Restart your computer during the boot sequence few times in order to start Automatic Repair. Alternatively you can press and hold the Shift key and click the Restart button.
- Choose Troubleshoot > Reset this PC > Remove everything. You might get asked to insert Windows 10 installation media, so be ready to do that.
- Choose Only the drive where Windows is installed > Just remove my files and click the Reset button.
- Follow the instructions and wait for the reset process to complete.
After the reset process is completed, all files from your C drive will be removed, along with any software cause for the BSoD error. If the BSoD error appears again, it’s most likely that the issue is caused by faulty hardware.
Solution 9 – Check your hardware
PCI_BUS_DRIVER_INTERNAL error can be caused by incompatible hardware, and if you installed any new hardware recently, be sure to remove it or replace it. If the new hardware isn’t fully compatible with your PC that can lead to system instability and BSoD errors, so be sure to remove any recently installed hardware. If the problem isn’t caused by new hardware, be sure to check all major hardware components such as your RAM, motherboard, hard drive, etc.
If you’re still having issues with your hardware or you simply want to avoid them for the future, we strongly recommend you to download this tool (100% safe and tested by us) to fix various PC problems, such as hardware failure, but also file loss and malware.
This error is usually caused by problematic driver or by overclocking, so be sure to update all your drivers and remove all overclocking settings in order to fix this error.
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published in June 2016 and has been since completely revamped and updated for freshness, accuracy, and comprehensiveness.
- Fix Dxgkrnl.sys Error on Windows 10
- Fix: ‘Your Computer Needs to be Repaired” Error in Windows 10
- Fix: NO_PAGES_AVAILABLE error on Windows 10
- Fix: NO_MORE_IRP_STACK_LOCATIONS error on Windows 10
Windows cannot find the Microsoft license software terms error can sometimes appear while trying to install Windows. This error will prevent you from installing Windows, […]
Some users are using their Xbox One controller on their PC, but sometimes they might encounter USB device not recognized message. This can be an […]
OBS or Open Source Broadcaster is a free and open source software that can be used to stream and record programs. It’s quite popular as […]