- FIFA 21 is a resource-intensive game, which means that not everyone can play it.
- Unfortunately, FIFA 21 players have been reporting DirectX issues when trying to play.
- To learn more about this world's renowned game, visit our FIFA 21 Hub.
- Gaming isn't just about FIFA, and you can learn all that from our Gaming section.
Many users are thrilled about FIFA 21. However, nothing is perfect, and this game is no exception.
Quite a few people encountered a major problem with DirectX 11 in FIFA 21. Usually, FIFA 21 starts in DirectX 12, but it makes the gameplay laggy.
Someone reported the following on the official EA forum.
Been waiting since release day, paying monthly for a service I can’t use…
Redownloading drivers (clean) doesn’t work.
Changing directx select doesn’t work.
Fortunately, we have a simple solution to solve this issue, and today we will show you what to do if you encounter DirectX 11 problems in FIFA 21.
Year after year EA manages to polish this fantastic game series more and more, and FIFA 21 is the culmination of gaming technology.
Get it now and feel what it is like to be a world champion!
- 700+ teams
- 30 official leagues
- Unparalleled graphics
- 17,000+ authentic players
- Have a career in professional football and grow
- Play as one of the best football teams of the 2021 season
- Playing online can be a pain with an older PC
How do I fix DirectX issues in FIFA 21?
1. Update or reinstall your video drivers
1.1. Update your drivers manually
- Press Windows + X
- Select and open the Device Manager
- Select Display Adapters
- Right-click on your PC’s display adapter and select Update driver
- Choose whether to let the troubleshooter browse the Internet for drivers by itself or if you want to browse your PC
1.2. Update the drivers automatically
A much faster and more efficient way to update your drivers is to simply use a third-party driver updater and fixer, and we recommend you give DriverFix a shot.
This tool will not only download and install all of the latest drivers available for your hardware, but it will also do so in time at all, and without overloading your PC.
This is thanks to the lightweight client that has all of its libraries stored online, allowing you to constantly keep your drivers in tip-top condition as long as you have an Internet connection.
DriverFixDirectX-related issues are directly correlated to video card drivers, so keep them updated and fixed with this amazing tool.
2. Tweak a FIFA 21 file
- Go to the FIFA 21 folder.
- Open fifasetup.ini
- Change DIRECTX_SELECT = 0 to DIRECTX_SELECT = 1.
- Save the change and launch the game to see if FIFA 21 works properly.
As you can see, the solution for fixing the DirectX 11 error in FIFA 21 is very simple. However, some users reported that changing DIRECTX_SELECT from 0 to 1 helped only a bit.
The gameplay is not perfectly smooth even in the ultra-quality mode at 60 FPS.
Did you encounter this issue in FIFA 21? Do let us know in the comments section below!
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published in September 2019 and has been since revamped and updated in October 2020 for freshness, accuracy, and comprehensiveness.