Microsoft is all set to retire the consumer version of Windows 7 OS starting January 2020. Enterprise customers can enjoy extended security updates for a period of three years in an expensive price plan doubling each year.
A few days ago, we have reported that a new update is bringing end of support notifications to Windows 7 machines. These notifications encourage users that they need to upgrade to the latest version just before the deadline.
The recent update KB4493132 has now revealed more details on how Microsoft plans to push end of support notifications.
If you are one of those who do not want to receive those prompts, you can easily avoid the update by blocking KB4493132. That is the only way that the update won’t download and install on your Windows 7 device.
Steps to turn off Windows 7 End of Support alerts
Microsoft currently offers the “Do not remind me again” checkbox to disable automatic updates. There are two more options that you can use to completely stop Windows 7 from sending end of support notifications.
The first one is uninstalling KB4493132 update and the second one is excluding it from the list of WSUS Offline Update list.
1. Uninstall KB4493132
Microsoft has started rolling out KB4493132 to all the devices that are currently running Windows 7.
As a matter of fact, your device might have already downloaded the update.
If that is the case don’t worry, you can always uninstall the update after installation.
- Head towards the Windows Update section and click “installed updates“.
- Look for KB4493132 update and uninstall it by right-clicking on it.
- You can now use the hide option in case it appears in the download section.
Secondly, if KB4493132 has not been installed yet, you can block it by following these steps:
- First right click on the KB4493132 update, it will display the context menu.
- Now select “Hide update” to block it so that Windows should not automatically install it.
2. Exclude KB4493132 from WSUS Offline Update list
Furthermore, you can use the blacklist option to block KB4493132 if you use the WSUS Offline Update.
- This option requires you to move towards a specific location excludecustom. It can be found right under WSUS.
- Now open ExcludeList.txt and ExcludeListForce-all.txt files.
- Finally, add the following lines of code and save them.
3. Tweak your Registry
Another quick method to turn off these notifications is to change some of your Windows Registry settings.
Here are the steps to follow:
- Launch the Registry editor
- Go to the following key:
- Locate the DontRemindMe DWORD
- Change its value to 1.
Please share your thoughts and opinions about KB4493132.
RELATED ARTICLES YOU NEED TO CHECK OUT:
- Microsoft reveals the cost for Windows 7 extended security updates
- New AMD Radeon driver brings DirectX 12 support to Windows 7
- Top 5 Windows 7 ISO mounting tools worth using in 2019