- The DJVU virus is ransomware which attacks your PC and encrypts essential files on your system.
- Usually, the attack is followed by a ransom demand, so you can gain back access to your files.
- If you want to learn more about removing antiviruses, visit our Removal Guides section.
- We have plenty of guides and tips in our Tech Tutorials Hub so bookmark it for future reference.
This tutorial is a comprehensive how-to guide, which is designed to facilitate the safe removal of the notorious .djvu file extension virus from an infected PC.
So, if your system is infected with this virus, this tutorial will help you remove this file once and for all.
What is .djvu file extension virus?
DJVU file extension (.djvu) virus is a recent class of ransomware, which attacks your PC and encrypts essential files on your system.
The virus changes the extension of all essential files (DOC, TXT, PDF, XLS, JPG, PPT, MP4, MP3 etc.) into the encrypted .djvu file extension.
In most cases, such an attack is accompanied by a ransom demand, which seeks to blackmail you into paying a certain amount of money to gain back access to your files.
This virus typically enters your system via spam emails, email attachments, insecure downloads, malicious ad campaigns, and phony installers.
Essentially, the virus could infect your system via an insecure connection to a foreign or third-party system, site or device.
Upon successful infection, a ransom message pops up on your computer’s screen, demanding a certain fee (usually in bitcoin) to get your files decrypted.
Unfortunately, many computer users fall victim to this and pay the requested ransom.
Hence, to securely protect your computer against this virus, the ultimate solution would be to remove all .djvu file extensions (and the accompanying virus) from your computer.
According to recent findings by security experts and system analysts, there are several variations of this ransomware. These include: .djvu (standard), .djvuq, .djvur, .udjvu, .djvuu and .djvut among others.
However, there are now standard techniques and solutions that can easily be employed to remove these file extensions (and accompanying ransomware) from host PCs.
How can I remove the .djvu file extension virus?
1. Manual Removal of .djvu virus
1.1 Simple uninstall of djvu
- On your PC’s desktop window, click on the Start.
- Select All Apps.
- Locate djvu file extension (and other related programs).
- Right-click on it, and select Uninstall.
Note: This procedure is exclusive to Windows 10. Windows 8 and older versions have their own respective procedures.
1.2 Remove djvu using Task Manager
- Open Task Manager, by simultaneously pressing the Crtl + Shift + ESC keys.
- On the displayed window, locate Processes and click on it.
- Locate the .djvu virus processes.
- Select End Process.
1.3 Remove the .djvu Virus via the Registry Editor
- Open the Run dialog box by using the Windows key + R shortcut.
- Input regedit in the dialog box.
- Select OK.
- Locate the .djvu files (and related entries). To speed up the process, press Ctrl + F, and input the file name in the search box.
- Remove the files.
1.4 Remove the .djvu Virus via Msconfig in Safe Mode
- Reboot your system.
- On the boot window, press F8 (repeatedly) until you open the Advanced Boot Options.
- Locate Safe Mode and press Enter.
- After your system has booted up, open the Run window.
- Type in msconfig in the designated box and click Enter.
- Navigate to the Startup tab.
- Locate all suspicious services and disable them.
- Restart your system.
1.5 Remove .djvu Virus via Safe Mode with Command Prompt
- Open Advanced Boot Options as we showed you in the previous section.
- Select Safe Mode with Command Prompt.
- Once your system has booted up, login as an administrator.
- Type in rstrui.exe and press the Enter button.
- Follow the commands (on-screen) to complete the process.
Manual removal of .djvu file extension virus is usually insufficient, and most times, unsafe. In fact, in some cases, it is blatantly ineffective, depending on the magnitude of infection.
Hence, to ensure optimum efficiency using a durable anti-malware program is recommended.
2. Automatic Removal of .djvu Virus (Recommended)
Automatic removal of .djvu virus requires using third-party anti-malware/anti-ransomware programs to scan for viruses and safely remove them.
Standard anti-malware programs can carry out in-depth scans and eliminate all malicious content on your system. More significantly, these programs are suitably designed to safely remove viruses.
Furthermore, anti-malware tools facilitate the restoration and subsequent decryption of .djvu encrypted files, without compromising the integrity of the affected files.
There are numerous anti-malware programs out there. However, you can remove this threat with VIPRE Antivirus Plus.
VIPRE Antivirus PlusVIPRE is the best alternative to any other antivirus offering top performance and 0 interference!
By employing either of the above-listed tool, you can safely remove all .djvu virus from your PC, and fully restore all affected files.
We have listed a couple of solutions that can help you with .djvu file extensions, so feel free to try them all.
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published in March 2018 and has been since revamped and updated in October 2020 for freshness, accuracy, and comprehensiveness.Editor's Note: This article was originally published in March 2019 and was revamped and updated in October 2020 for freshness, accuracy, and comprehensiveness.