- This document restricts some acrobat features message appears when you open a PDF with restricted editing options.
- You’re always eager to try out the best software to create editable PDF forms. However, this doesn’t mean that these tools are error-free.
- If you're getting the error This document restricts some Acrobat features to allow for extended features in adobe reader, make sure to install the original version of Adobe.
- Using third-party software can help you to unlock restrictions from a PDF document.
A Portable Document Format (also known as PDF), is probably one of the most common and versatile file formats available.
These can contain text, images, links, and pretty much anything else, all within a single unified format. They can be used securely thanks to certain security restrictions, making the files uneditable.
However, what happens when you are on the receiving end of a restricted PDF, file and you can’t edit it at all?
Plenty of users have been reporting that they have been receiving error messages when trying to open PDF documents, stating that:
This document restricts some adobe acrobat features to allow for extended features in adobe acrobat reader. To create a copy of the document that is not restricted, click save a copy.
This error message usually appears when you open a document created by a designer that restricted the editing, commenting, Bates stamping, etc of the PDF file.
Whenever you receive this error message, you should know that by default there are several things that you may not be able to do with the document.
These vary depending on the restrictions applied by the creator:
- You may not be able to copy the content of a document
- Signing the document as your own may be forbidden
- You cannot use the document as a template
- Printing the document may be prohibited
- Document assembly may not be possible
- Page extraction may not be allowed
- Form filling may be disabled
How can I remove document restrictions from Acrobat features?
1. Install the original version of Adobe Acrobat
There is no better tool than Adobe Acrobat if you want to easily create, edit PDFs, and convert them to Microsoft Office formats.
Choosing it from a variety of professional PDF apps was a smart move indeed. However, it’s time to ask yourself if you’re running the original Adobe Acrobat.
Maybe you’ve used Adobe Reader and decided to step up to the pro league. Have you downloaded it from a supposedly trustworthy third-party source?
If it happens to discover that you’ve been scammed, correct that right away and grab the original version of Adobe Acrobat.
Adobe AcrobatOne of the best software available in the market that helps you to easily create, edit and manage PDF files.
2. Use third-party PDF unlockers
If you do not own a subscription to Acrobat Pro, you could try some third-party PDF unlockers. Using them varies from program to program, but the general consensus is that they are all easy-to-use.
They come in the form of a downloadable desktop client, as well as online services that you can access straight from your browser.
Here are some good examples of reliable PDF unlockers:
By following these steps, you should be able to edit a PDF file in however way you please and get rid of the This document restricts some acrobat features issue.
Did you find this article to be useful to you? Let us know in the comments section below.
FAQ: Learn more about PDF restrictions
- How do you change security settings from Adobe PDF?
Changing these settings is done from the Tools pane. Check our detailed guide on how to change the security settings of a PDF file.
- How do I fix the document Cannot be printed?
If encountering printing errors, use this dedicated guide on how to fix the document cannot be printed issue on Adobe.
- How do I change document restrictions in Adobe?
To perform this task take a look at our guide including solutions on how to remove document restrictions from Acrobat features.