An Windows 10, 8 system sound app might be a very useful when you are near the PC but you don’t see the monitor. In this case, you will need a specific sound to tell you when the PC starts, or if you got any new pop ups regarding some updates for example.
You have the option to enable or disable these system sounds on Windows 10, 8. I found out that the sounds are quite helpful when I am not at the computer or when I am playing games. This audio feature will notify you about any changes that the operating system is doing without having to close a movie or quit a game.
Enable system sound on Windows 10
Keep in mind that this tutorial is made only for your Windows 10, 8 system sound. If you have general problems with your sound, meaning that if you want to play a soundtrack or watch a movie and the sound doesn’t work, then these steps probably won’t work.
1. Use Windows Startup sound
- Click (right click) on a free space on your desktop.
- Click (left click) on “Personalize” shown in the menu that you opened.
- Now you should have in front of you the “Personalization” window, click (left click) on “Sounds” situated in the lower side of the window.
- In the “Sound dialog” you have there “Play Windows Startup”, you can enable it from there depending on your choosing. Or you can choose another system sound that you want to enable from here.
- Click on “Apply” on the lower side of the window.
- Reboot the PC and check if the sound works.
You can also access the Sound menu much quicker in this manner: go to Start > type ‘control panel‘ > hit Enter to launch the Control Panel > go to Hardware & Sound > select Change system sounds.
2. Update your sound card driver
- Lets press the “Windows” button plus the “R” button on the keyboard(Windows +R).
- Type “devmgmt.msc”, without the quotes to launch Device Manager.
- In the “Sound, video and game controllers” controllers click (left click) on the driver you have there.
- Click (left click) on “Properties”.
- Click(left click) on the tab that says “Update”.
- From here you will need to check if you are able to make an update on the card, if you can do it by following the instructions on the screen see afterwards if the system sounds on Windows 10, 8 work.
- Reboot the PC.
This is all, you can see a few easy steps above that will help you with the system sounds on Windows 8, 10. If you have any ideas on the matter, share your thoughts in the comments below.
RELATED STORIES TO CHECK OUT:
- FIX: Windows 10 sound increases automatically
- Fix: No Sound from Cortana in Windows 10
- No sound on Google Chrome? Fix it with a few simple tips and tricks
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published in August 2014 and has been since updated for freshness, and accuracy.