If you want to encrypt your USB flash drive, you don’t need to install any third-party tools. Windows already has everything you need to perform the encryption of your USB drive. This built-in Windows tool is called BitLocker, and is definitely the best choice, because it’s probably the safest and the most reliable tool for encrypting.
To encrypt your USB flash drive, follow these instructions listed below:
- Logon to your Windows computer and go to Desktop
- Make sure that your USB flash drive is properly inserted in the USB port of your computer
- Open the This PC icon on the desktop
- Under the Devices and drivers section of This PC folder, locate and right-click the icon of your USB flash drive
- From the context menu, click Turn on BitLocker
- Wait until BitLocker initializes your USB drive
- Once the initialization process is done, click to check Use a password to unlock your drive, enter and re-enter your password, and click the Next button to continue
- Now, pick the destination where you want to save your recovery key (Save to your Microsoft account, Save to a file, or print the recovery key)
- From the Save BitLocker recovery key as box, browse for the location to save your recovery key, and click Save.
- Click Next to continue
- On the Choose how much of your drive to encrypt window, make sure that Encrypt used disk space only (faster and best for new PCs and drives) radio button is checked and click Next
- Now click on Start Encrypting from the next window
- When the BitLocker Drive Encryption interface comes up, wait till the process completes
Now your USB flash drive is encrypted, and only you or users with the password could access its content.