5 best encrypted video conferencing software [2018 List]
More and more companies are fond of business travel especially when the organizations have more headquarters all over the world. Business travel is a way of bringing employees together to share their ideas. On the other hand, this involves high costs for flights and the meeting spaces.
Not to mention the hassle of getting everyone’s schedule coordinated. One of the best replacement for business travel is the use of video conferencing and this way the meetings can be conducted remotely via video or phone.
Fortunately, open source security software provides services that come with excellent security and more advantages as well. Here are five of the best tools for encrypted video conferences that provide end-to-end encryption for increased security while video conferencing.
Open Whisper Systems is the developer that created this application called Signal. This app is one of the few in the world that is supported and trusted by the famous Edward Snowden.
Thanks to its incredible features and functionalities, Signal managed to become one of the most popular and trustworthy messaging apps with voice and video calling features all over the world among mobile device users as well as desktop users.
This is an open source program that allows anyone to check the implemented security features by simply auditing the code. Signal does not put users through the hassle of dealing with ads, and the software is free.
Take a look at some of the leading features and benefits that are packed in this useful video conferencing app:
- With Signal, users can effortlessly and securely send high-quality text, messages, video, voice, picture and document messages throughout the world.
- You will not have to pay for any SMS or MMS because the software is free for public use.
- It includes encrypted video conferencing features and this way you will be able to take part in a video conference effortlessly and without being intercepted.
- The video calls will be crystal clear, just as the voice calls even if you are communicating with users who live across the ocean.
- The video calls that you will make with Signal are end-to-end encrypted, and they are engineered in such a way to provide the safest possible communication.
- The platform cannot see your calls so you can put your worries aside.
- In order to successfully use Signal, you will not have to use any PIN codes, and you won’t have to deal with login credentials.
This application comes in handy when you need to be in a video conference, and it manages to provide you with the safety and security feeling that you need.
Check out more details about its features and the advantages of using this app, by heading over to Signal’s website.
Wire is another excellent application for video and voice calls that was developed by Wire Swiss GmbH.
Using Wire, you will be able to enjoy end-to-end encrypted video conferences that will focus on your intimacy and security. This is a free open-source application, and it enables all of its users to check out the security’s quality by auditing the app’s code.
Wire combines string encryption processes with a massive set of useful features. Here are some of the most exciting functionalities and features that are packed in this app for video conferencing and more:
- Using Wire, you will be able to add and remove people if you are the team administrator.
- As a team admin, you will also get the chance to access and remove the history.
- You can use unlimited group chats with up to 128 people, and you will get the opportunity o delete the messages for every one of them.
- Wire allows you to make crystal clear video and audio calls with up to ten people and you can have a high-quality conference with remote users.
- You can also share your files securely, and the app supports all file types.
- Wire lets you share the screen with ten more users, and this is great for conferencing and collaboration.
- Your files, chats and video calls can be synced between your devices.
- Wire is available on all platforms.
- Another great feature of this app is the fact that it can destroy the messages when the previously set timer runs out.
Wire is a perfect app for sensitive data sharing and important private conferences. You can see more features and functionalities that are packed in Wire by heading over to its official website.
Linphone is an open source SPI Phone service that also allows free voice over IP. It’s available on desktop and mobile environments and web browsers. Linphone supports ZRTP for end-to-end encrypted voice and video communication, and more great features are included in it.
Here are the best ones below:
- Linphone for desktop has become available, and it’s packed with rich functionalities.
- The app provides users a modern and intuitive interface which can be understood and maneuvered effortlessly.
- You can enjoy high-quality audio conferences with advanced calling features.
- The HD video calls can be made in full screen.
- You can also enjoy instant messaging, and you get the chance to use the presence status feature to see who is available in the app.
- Linphone allows you to made audio and video calls in the most secure imaginable way.
- You can also send pictures and all kinds of files while communicating securely without third parties snooping around.
You can check out more exciting features and their advantages by paying a visit over to Linphone’s official website.
Jitsi is another excellent app that lets you enjoy video conferences securely. This is one of the most innovative open source video conferencing community, and this is why we decided to include it in our list.
The developers state that Jitsi believes that every video chat should look and sound flawless between 2 or 200 people. So, whether you plan to build your own multi-user video conference client or just use the one provided by Jitsi, you can definitely use all the Jitsi free tools.
Here are some pretty significant features and advantages that you will get to enjoy if you decide to start using Jitsi’s services and tools:
- Jitsi includes a community of developers that are pushing the borders of video conferencing quality on the web.
- Unlike other video conferencing technology that you may have ever tried, Jitsi Videobridge which is the heart of Jitsi promises to pass everyone’s audio and video to all participants instead of mixing them first.
- Jitsi provides lower latency, better overall quality and a much more scalable and affordable solution if you run your own server.
- Jitsi is also compatible with WebRTC which is the open standard for Web communications.
- It supports sophisticated and complex video routing concepts such as scalable video, bandwidth estimations, and simulcast.
You can find out a whole lot more about Jitsi’s features and functionalities if you head over to the official website and take a look around.
Ring is our last video conferencing solution that provides end-to-end encryption for your increased safety and intimacy.
This is another free and universal communication platform that is able to preserve the users’ freedoms and privacy. You won’t have to worry anymore that third parties are spying on your conferences and leaking essential data to your competitors.
Take a look at the great set of features that are included in Ring below:
- Ring is a free software targeted at universal communication, and its main focus is the users’ freedoms and privacy.
- Ring is published under GNU General Public License.
- Using Ring, you will be able to enjoy secure communication and high-quality video conferencing.
- Ring provides decentralized communication and end-to-end encryption with authentication.
- The users’ identity is managed via X.509 certificates, and the Ring’s services are based on RSA/AES/DTLS/SRTP technologies.
If you want to find out more about Ring and if you decide to download the software, just go to the program’s official website and take a look at more features and press download.
These are the five tools for encrypted video conferencing that we picked because of their incredible and unique sets of features and thanks to their popularity and appreciation among users.
Before deciding which one is the best for your needs, make sure to check out their complete sets of functionalities just to be sure that you are making the most informed decision for your safety and according to your skills and preferences.
RELATED STORIES TO CHECK OUT:
Encrypt your video conference with these tools
On Microsoft’s forum, one user has an interesting question that seems to have bothered more people. Fortunately, there’s an independent advisor who comes up with […]
A Reddit user noted that there’s a bug that pops up after you install the Intel Graphics drivers and it triggers something great. You can […]