- Getting the Err_internet_disconnected error is nothing out of the ordinary these days.
- However, we’ve got a few quick tips to share, such as the ones described right below.
- You may even try out a completely different browser. Unlike the resource-hogging Chrome, Opera works like a charm.
- If want to know more about the browser you are using and not only, we also have a special Web Browsers Hub to bookmark.
Google Chrome is a great browser, but just like any other application, it has its problems.
One problem with Chrome that Windows 10 users reported is err_internet_disconnected and today we’re going to show you how to fix it.
How can I fix err_internet_disconnected error?
1. Check if your Internet connection is working
Before we start fixing this problem you need to check if your Internet connection is working. To do that, try accessing the Internet from a different PC on your network.
If you don’t have another PC, you can use any other device such as your smartphone or tablet.
If the problem appears on all devices, there might be a problem with a network cable, so be sure to check if everything is connected properly.
If the issue appears only on your PC, it means your router is working properly and that the problem is caused by your PC’s network settings.
You can also fix this problem by restarting your modem/router. Simply press the Power button on your router to turn it off and wait for 30 seconds.
Now press the Power button again and wait for the router to boot completely. After your router boots, check if the problem is still there.
2. Clear browsing data and cache
- Click the Menu icon in the top right corner. Choose Settings from the menu.
- When the Settings tab opens, scroll all the way down and click Advanced.
- Now click Clear browsing data.
- Set Time range to All time and click Clear data.
Few users reported that cleaning the browsing data and cache can fix this problem on Google Chrome, so you might want to try it. To clear cache on Google Chrome, follow the above steps.
After clearing the cache, restart Chrome and check if the problem is still there. Another recommendation is to use a third-party cleaner from the start.
With the ability to handpick the types of junk files you’d like to clean, restore Windows to a previous System Restore point, and an easy to grasp interface, you can’t go wrong with it.
3. Try using a different browser
Let us start with something better than a temporary solution. Giving a try to Opera Browser actually comes as a permanent improvement.
Unlike Chrome, that’s a lightweight browser that comes with built-in messengers, battery saver, Customizable Speed Dials, and mouse gestures.
Chances to start getting similar Err_internet_disconnected errors are minimal in comparison to those if you choose to stick with your draining-resources browser, so think twice before refusing it.
Opera is a top pick for a distraction-free browsing experience. No Err_internet_disconnected errors will bother you again!
4. Change Internet Options
- Press Windows Key + I to open the Settings app.
- When Settings app opens, navigate to Network & Internet section.
- Select Proxy from the menu on the left. In the right pane disable all options.
Sometimes Err_internet_disconnected error can be caused by your proxy. Although proxy is a great way to protect your privacy online, sometimes it can interfere with your system and cause this and other errors to appear.
To disable proxy in Windows 10, you just need to do the following:
After you disable your proxy, check if the problem is still there. If you’re still concerned about your privacy, one good way to protect it is to use a VPN.
If you are looking for a reliable VPN, think about changing provider with a valid option of the best VPN available on the market.
5. Disable/remove your antivirus
Antivirus and firewall tools can interfere with your Internet connection, and if you’re getting err_internet_disconnected error, you might want to temporarily disable your antivirus and firewall.
If disabling antivirus and firewall doesn’t fix the problem, try uninstalling them.
If the problem is fixed after removing the third-party antivirus or firewall software, you can reinstall it again, or switch to a different antivirus tool.
There are many great antivirus tools available, and if you’re looking for an antivirus that won’t interfere with your system while providing increased malware protection, we suggest consulting our dedicated article.
6. Reinstall your network adapter
- Press Windows Key + X to open Power User Menu. Select Device Manager from the menu.
- When Device Manager opens, locate your network adapter, right-click it and choose Uninstall device.
- If available, check Delete the driver software for this device and click Uninstall.
Sometimes these problems can occur if your network adapter drivers aren’t fully compatible with your operating system, or if they are improperly installed.
To fix this issue, users are recommending to reinstall your drivers. This is a simple process, and in order to do it, you need to follow the above steps.
After you delete the driver, restart your PC. When your PC restarts, the default driver should be installed. If the default driver works well, and if the issue is resolved, you can continue using it.
If the driver doesn’t work, you might have to go and download the latest version.
If you would like to automatically update the missing drivers, you can choose third-party software. What you need to do is select the right driver to upgrade from the list and the software will do all the work on your behalf.
7. Change the name and password of your wireless network
To fix err_internet_disconnected error, some users are suggesting to change the name and password of your wireless network.
To do that, simply connect to your router, go to the Wireless section and change the necessary data. You can also try disabling and enabling the wireless connection right from your router.
8. Flush your DNS configuration
- Press Windows Key + X and choose Command Prompt (Admin) from the menu. You can also use PowerShell (Admin).
- When Command Prompt opens, run the following commands:
- ipconfig /release
- ipconfig /all
- ipconfig /flushdns
- ipconfig /renew
- netsh int ip set dns
- netsh winsock reset
Sometimes Err_internet_disconnected error can appear due to certain network glitches, but you can easily fix them by running a couple of commands in Command Prompt.
After running all commands, check if the problem is still there.
9. Delete wireless profiles
- Open Command Prompt as administrator.
- Now run netsh wlan show profiles command to show all available wireless profiles.
- Run the netsh wlan delete profile name=Name of the profile command in order to remove the profile.
If you’re getting Err_internet_disconnected error on your PC, the problem might be wireless profiles. However, you can fix that problem simply by removing the wireless profiles manually.
To do this, you’ll need to run a couple commands in Command Prompt by following the above procedure.
After you remove your wireless profile, try to connect to the same wireless network again and check if the problem is resolved.
10. Temporary disable Windows Firewall
- Press Windows Key + S and enter firewall. Select Windows Defender Firewall from the list of results.
- Windows Defender Firewall window will now open. Select Turn Windows Defender Firewall on or off.
- Select Turn off Windows Defender Firewall (not recommended) for both Private and Public networks. Click OK to save changes.
If you’re getting Err_internet_disconnected error frequently, it’s possible that your firewall is blocking the browser.
However, you can fix the problem by temporarily disabling Windows Firewall. To do that, you just need to follow the above steps.
After you disable Windows Firewall, check if the problem is still there. If disabling the firewall fixes the issue, make sure that your firewall is properly configured.
11. Disable problematic extensions
- Click the Menu icon in top-right and select More tools > Extensions.
- A list of all extensions will now appear. Click the little switch next to the extension’s name to disable that extension. Repeat this step for all available extensions.
- Once you disable all extensions, restart Chrome.
In some cases, Err_internet_disconnected error can appear due to problematic extensions, and in order to fix the problem you need to find and disable those extensions.
This is quite simple to do, and you can do it by following the above steps.
Once your browser restarts, check if the problem is still there. If not, it means that disabled extensions were causing the problem. To pinpoint the cause, you need to enable extensions one by one or in groups until the issue reappears.
Once you find the problematic extension, remove it and the issue will be permanently resolved.
12. Reset Chrome
- Open the Settings tab.
- Scroll down to the bottom on the Settings page and click Advanced.
- Select Restore settings to their original defaults.
- Click the Reset settings button to confirm.
If you keep getting Err_internet_disconnected error on your PC, the problem might be related to your settings.
Sometimes certain settings in Chrome can cause this issue to appear, but you can easily fix the problem by resetting Chrome to default.
After resetting Chrome to the default, the issue should be completely resolved and everything should start working again.
Err_internet_disconnected error can cause you a lot of trouble, but you can easily fix this error by changing your network settings or by resetting your router.
Speaking of this error, here are some related issues that users reported:
- Err_internet_disconnected Chrome, Firefox – This problem can appear on almost any browser. Even though our solutions are meant for Chrome, similar methods should also work in Firefox.
- Net::err_internet_disconnected Windows 10, 7 – This issue can affect other versions of Windows, and even if you don’t use Windows 10, you should be able to apply most of our solutions.
- Err_internet_disconnected Lenovo, laptop – Sometimes this problem can appear on your laptop, and if that happens, be sure to check your drivers and wireless network configuration.
Frequently Asked Questions
What you’re getting is an Internet error that prevents you from visiting websites in your browser. Try using Opera and you’ll be surprised to leave this error behind.
This guide dedicated to fixing Err_internet_disconnected shows you how to change Internet options, reinstall your network adapter, and more useful tips to help you out.
Bookmarks issues are some of the most common ones on any PC. Just as described in this article on how to fix Chrome bookmarks issues, you can clear your cache or disable extensions.