An error occurred during port configuration [Windows 10 error fix]
Adjusting port settings is one way to kick-start offline printers. However, the “An error occurred during port configuration” error message pops up for some users when they press the Configure Ports button in Windows. Consequently, they can’t configure printers’ ports as required. This is how you can fix the port configuration error in Windows 10.
FIX: An error occurred on port configuration
- Modify the Port Settings Within an Admin Account
- Configure the Port Settings Via the Print Server Properties
- Reset the Printer
- Clear the Printer Queue
1. Modify the Port Settings Within an Admin Account
One of the full port configuration error message windows states: “An error occurred during port configuration. Access is denied.” An access is denied error usually highlights that you need elevated admin rights to modify the settings. If you’re configuring the printer’s settings within a standard user account, convert it to an admin account as follows.
- Press the Windows key + I hotkey to open Settings.
- Click Accounts to open the options shown directly below.
- Click Family and other people on the left of the window.
- Select your account, and press the Change account type button.
- Then select Administrator on the Account type drop-down menu and click OK.
- Restart the desktop or laptop.
2. Configure the Port Settings Via the Print Server Properties Window
If the port configuration dialog box still pops up even within an admin account, you can still usually configure the port settings via the Printer Server Properties window. Most users click the Configure Ports button on the printer’s properties window, but then the port configuration error window pops up. This is how you can configure ports via the Printer Server Properties window.
- Open the Win + X menu with the Windows key + X hotkey.
- Click Run to open that accessory.
- Enter ‘Control Panel’ in Run, and press the OK button.
- Select the Devices and Printers Control Panel item shown in the snapshot directly below.
- Then select your default printer.
- Click Print server properties to open the window shown directly below.
- Select the Ports tab on that window.
- Click the Change Port Settings button.
- Then you can select a listed port and click Configure Port to modify it.
3. Reset the Printer
An alternative port configuration error message window states: “An error occurred during port configuration. This operation is not supported.” That dialog box also pops up for some users when they press the Configure Ports button.
Fully resetting the printer can fix that port configuration error. To do that, switch the printer off and unplug all its cables. Then wait a few minutes before you plug the printer in and switch it back on.
4. Clear the Printer Queue
The port configuration error also occurs when there’s something in the printer queue. Then the printer resource will be in use. As such, clearing the printer queue is another resolution for port configuration error messages. You can clear the printer queue in Windows 10 as follows.
- Open Run with the Windows key + R keyboard shortcut.
- Input ‘services.msc’ in Run’s text box, and press the OK button
- Double-click Print Spooler to open the window in the snapshot directly below.
- Press the Stop button.
- Click OK to close the window.
- Open File Explorer in Windows 10.
- Then enter ‘C:\WINDOWS\System32\spool\PRINTERS’ in the File Explorer’s folder path bar, and press the Return key.
- Press the Ctrl + A hotkey to select everything in the printer queue.
- Then press the Delete button to erase the printer queue.
- Return to the Services window, double-click Printer Spooler and press the Start button (on Printer Spooler Properties window).
Those are a few resolutions that can fix port configuration errors. Then you can configure the port settings as required for a printer.
RELATED STORIES TO CHECK OUT:
- Printer won’t print on Windows 10 [FIX]
- Windows cannot connect to printer: 8 solutions to fix the error
- Printer won’t work after upgrading to Windows 10? Here are 6 quick solutions
Firefox has announced that it will start to warn users if they visit any breached sites. This is in an attempt to not only make […]
Oh dear. It’s been a pretty bad month for Microsoft concerning its Windows 10 October 1809 Update release. Microsoft eventually released the update a couple […]
Yesterday, Microsoft released Visual Studio 15.9. With it came the announcement that “developers now have the officially supported SDK and tools for creating 64-bit ARM […]