- Runtime errors are common types of errors that occur while teh affected program was running.
- Extensions, plug-ins and even other programs can cause runtime errors for a particular program.
- We have a dedicated Hub for Troubleshooting Runtime Errors that is full of articles like the one below.
- Even more guides can be found on our Excel page.
Excel runtime error 1004 typically comes up when you are working with a corrupt document. You also get this error if you open a VBA Excel file when your Excel is having a conflict with other programs.
The Excel runtime error 1004 could show up due to a variety of other underlying issues. The most common error messages include the following:
VB: run-time error ‘1004’: Application-defined or object-defined error
Excel VBA Runtime error 1004 “Select method of Range class failed”
runtime error 1004 method range of object _global failed visual basic
Excel macro “Run-time error ‘1004″
Runtime error 1004 method open of object workbooks failed
Run time error ‘1004’: Method ‘Ranger’ of Object’ Worksheet’ Failed
Save As VBA run time Error 1004: Application defined or object defined error
If you get any of these errors, then you can fix the error using the solutions here.
How do I fix runtime error 1004 in Excel?
1. Uninstall Microsoft Works
- Press the CTRL + ALT + DEL combination and click on Task Manager.
- End all the programs that are currently open.
- Next, press the Windows key and R to open the Run utility.
- Here, enter appwiz.cpl and click the OK button.
- From the list of programs installed on your computer, find Microsoft Works. Right-click on it and hit Uninstall.
2. Create another Excel template
- Launch Microsoft Excel on your computer.
- Next, create a new Microsoft Excel workbook by pressing the CTRL +N combination or selecting Blank workbook from the first screen.
- After making the workbook delete all the sheets on the workbook except one.
- Format this workbook you have spared.
- You can modify this workbook to suit your needs.
- Finally, go to File > Save As to save the file with the Excel Template (.xltx or .xlt) file format.
- Use this format for Excel in 2017 and higher.
- When the document is saved successfully, you can insert the template with the help of this code:
Remember to replace filename with the actual name of the document.
3. Delete GWXL97.XLA
- Start by opening File Explorer on your computer.
- You can do this by pressing the Windows key and E.
- Next, click on the address bar, type in the following path, and hit Enter:
- Here, open the XLStart folder.
- Finally, find the GWXL97.XLA file and delete it.
Knowing that there are many causes of the runtime error 1004 in Excel, only one solution may work. With the help of this guide, you can now fix the Microsoft Excel runtime error 1004 and recover your file data.
Frequently Asked Questions
In plain words, a runtime error is a program that happens while the affected program was running. Check out these tools that help fix runtime errors.
A runtime error occurs during the execution of a program, while a compile-time error occurs while a program is being compiled.
Many runtime errors are also caused by other add-ons, plug-ins, or extra software that interfere with a program’s functionality. These errors can even affect games as well, like Fallout of Skyrim.