ExpressVPN is one of the leaders in the expanding niche of VPN solutions. However, as the case has shown so many times, programs that are dependent on too many various factors, often bump into a problem.
One of the repeating issues that plagued numerous users is the inability to connect to a remote VPN server of your choice. The connection bar just stops in the middle of the process and it gets stuck.
In order to fix this, we offer a few possible solutions below. So, if ExpressVPN gets stuck with every new try, make sure to check them out.
Here’s how to fix ExpressVPN stuck while connecting
- Check the internet connection
- Run application as admin
- Change the protocol
- Disable antivirus and firewall temporarily
- Contact the support team
Solution 1: Check the internet connection
First things first. Probably the most obvious thing you’ll need to check in order to unstuck ExpressVPN is the connection. Make sure that your PC is able to connect to the internet without ExpressVPN. If you’re unable to do so, follow these instructions in order to repair the connection:
- Run the Windows Troubleshooter. Right-click on the Wireless or LAN icon in the notification area and click on Troubleshoot problems.
- If you’re using the Wireless connection, try using the wired connection instead.
- Restart your PC and router/modem.
- Reset modem/router settings to default values.
- Update the router’s/modem’s firmware.
On the other hand, if you’re able to connect to the internet but the problem solely applies to ExpressVPN, make sure to continue with the steps below.
Solution 2: Run application as admin
In order to avoid possible limitations imposed by Windows, you should run ExpressVPN desktop client with administrative permissions. This should bypass the blockage and enable you to connect to dedicated servers you’ve chosen. This seems to be the case with various third-party programs that are fairly limited or even blocked by Windows due to quite strict UAC (User Account Control) settings.
- READ ALSO: Is there a VPN without email sign up?!
If you’re not sure how to run the ExpressVPN as admin in Windows 10, make sure to check the instructions below:
- Right-click on the ExpressVPN desktop shortcut and open Properties.
- Open Compatibility tab.
- Check the ”Run this program as an administrator” box and confirm changes.
We highly recommend CyberGhost, a leading VPN provider which has almost no problems with the connectivity, so you won’t be stuck on connecting. Check out now its features and price (currently 50% off on all plans) on the official webpage.
Solution 3: Change the protocol and server
There are various protocols ExpressVPN utilizes in order to connect to a VPN server. These protocols are basically different methods and they differ in speed and security traits. By default, ExpressVPN selects active protocol automatically, but that’s not always the most reliable way. So, in order to fix the halt while connecting to a remote VPN server, make sure to switch between protocols manually. One of them might just work.
In addition, you’ll probably want to shift between the available servers until you reach the one that works. Due to heavy load, certain servers might be down or a lot slower than intended.
Here’s how to change the protocol on the ExpressVPN desktop app:
- Open ExpressVPN.
- Click on the 3-line menu and open Options.
- Select the Protocol tab.
- Choose one of the 5 protocols and confirm changes.
- Try to connect again.
Solution 4: Disable antivirus and firewall temporarily
If there’s one thing that keeps messing up various VPN and proxy solutions, that’s the third-party antivirus. Moreover, besides the antivirus, we can’t overlook Windows Firewall. Both security assets are strict towards the VPN solutions and can cause the halt within the program. So, you have two options here:
- To temporarily disable antivirus and firewall.
- To manually add exceptions for ExpressVPN.
Either way, that should eliminate stall and you should be able to continue with the seamless use. If you decide to disable antivirus and firewall temporarily, follow these steps:
- Right-click on the antivirus icon in the notification bar and disable Real-time protection.
- In the Windows Search bar, type Firewall and open Windows Firewall.
- Click on the Turn Windows Firewall on or off.
- Disable Windows Firewall for both Public and Private networks.
- Confirm changes and run ExpressVPN again.
On the other hand, you can create an exception within the antivirus and Windows Firewall, respectively. That way, security software won’t suppress the ExpressVPN. Here we explained how to create an exception in various antivirus solutions, so make sure to check it out for the better insight.
Solution 5: Contact the support team
Finally, if none of the aforementioned solutions worked for you, make sure to contact the support team that’s available 24/7 through the live chat. ExpressVPN is marketed and advertised as premium VPN with premium support. So, make sure to use your given right as a customer and find out about the problem resolution firsthand.
That should do it. In case you have an alternative solution or questions regarding the ones we already posted, make sure to tell us in the comments section below.
RELATED STORIES YOU SHOULD CHECK OUT:
- 10 best VPN software clients for Windows 10
- 3 best VPNs without registration
- 6 Firefox VPN extensions for safe and fast browsing without boundaries
- Are there any advantages of a VPN without encryption?