- Despite being released back in 2010, FNV is still as popular today as it was back then.
- However, the Fallout New Vegas out of memory error can cause more than a few headaches.
- So, how do you dedicate more RAM to Las Vegas? You can use the Fallout New Vegas 4GB patch.
- BEtter still, you can combine it with the Stutter Remover MOD to fix the out of memory error in FNV for good.
FNV is a popular action role-playing video game available on Windows and other gaming platforms. However, due to an internal bug, you may encounter the Fallout New Vegas out of memory error during gameplay.
If you are also troubled by this error, we prepared a couple of troubleshooting tips to help you resolve it swiftly. But first, let’s take a closer look at the whole picture. How much RAM does New Vegas use?
Is it that resource-intensive? These are all legitimate questions that we shall try to address by answering an even more important question.
What is Out of memory error in FNV?
The error message seems to indicate an issue with the lack of graphics memory. However, it’s rarely the actual case. In fact, the error is caused by a glitch that prevents the game from using more than 2GB of RAM.
How we test, review and rate?
We have worked for the past 6 months on building a new review system on how we produce content. Using it, we have subsequently redone most of our articles to provide actual hands-on expertise on the guides we made.
For more details you can read how we test, review, and rate at WindowsReport.
In other words, even if you do have enough virtual memory address space, New Vegas won’t be able to access and use it.
Here’s what to expect:
- Fallout New Vegas out of memory crash
- Fallout New Vegas memory leak – Fallout New Vegas memory could not be read error
- Also, Fallout New Vegas out of memory with 4GB, 8GB patch – For some, even the Fallout New Vegas 4GB patch is not working.
- Fallout New Vegas out of memory error Windows 10, Windows 11
How can I fix Out of memory error in Fallout New Vegas?
1. Use the Fallout New Vegas 4GB patch/MOD
- Open the FNV 4GB Patcher link. You may need to register a free account to download the file.
- Scroll down and click the File tab.
- Click on Manual Download to download the file and save the file to your computer.
- Extract the file downloaded to your computer to the following location:
- Once extracted, locate and right-click on the FalloutNVpatch.exe file in the folder.
- Select Run as Administrator from the options. This will execute the patcher and create a backup of the game’s original file.
- In the Fallout New Vegas folder, search for the *ini file.
- Right-click on the first ini file and select Properties.
- In the General tab, check the Read-only Attribute.
- Click Apply and OK to save the changes.
- Repeat the steps with all the ini files in the folder.
- Launch Steam and run Fallout New Vegas and check if the error is resolved.
The Fallout New Vegas 4GB patch is a simple MOD that makes the 4GB FNV aware and automatically loads NVSE if it exists. That’s how to use a 4GB patch with NVSE.
It allows the game to use 4GB of Virtual Memory Address Space, thus fixing the Out of Memory error.
2. Use New Vegas Stutter Remover tool
- Open the Stutter Remover link.
- Scroll down and open the Files tab.
- Click on the Manual Download button and download the file to your computer.
- Extract and open the downloaded file.
- Open the Data folder and navigate to Data > NVSE > Plugins.
- Select all the files in the Plugins folder and copy them.
- Next, navigate the following location:
- Open the Data folder in the Fallout New Vegas folder.
- Click the New Folder button and name the folder as NVSE.
- In the NVSE folder, create another folder called Plugins.
- Open the Plugins folder and paste all the files copied previously.
- Open Steam and launch Fallout New Vegas.
- Check if the error Fallout New Vegas out of memory is resolved.
The second method, combined with the first method for sure, will fix the Fallout New Vegas memory error, especially if you are on a lower-end computer with performance issues.
The Fallout New Vegas out of memory error is caused by a bug in the game that prevents it from utilizing more than 2GB of RAM.
With the help of two Fallout New Vegas out of memory MODs listed in this article, you can fix the error and continue with your gaming sessions.