- Many Windows 10 users received the error You need permission to perform this action.
- The first thing you need to do is to change the owner of the directory.
- Then you have to try to change the security permission without changing the owner.
- A possible cause for this problem may be your antivirus, so make sure you check it out.
Getting a You need permission to perform this action error on your PC? The issue is probably caused by your security permissions, and today we’ll show you how to fix this problem.
In Windows 10, like in any other version of Windows, you might notice that you can’t access all the files from your device. Now, this might happen because you don’t have the right permissions or because there is a conflict between multiple files from your system.
If you want to fix these issues and if you want to grant yourself full file permissions, take a look below and learn how to troubleshoot your Windows 10 device.
Getting error messages like File Access Denied or You need permission to perform this action is quite annoying especially when you want to run a movie or a game and you can’t do it due to unknown reasons.
Also, the same alerts might be displayed when trying to install or delete files or programs from your Windows 10 computer thus gaining file permission on your device is a must-have.
If you don’t know how to enable permissions on Windows, then don’t hesitate and use the guidelines below and try the troubleshooting solutions described during the present tutorial.
File Access Denied error? Fix it with these solutions:
- Change the owner of the directory
- Change the security permission without changing the ownership
- Use Command Prompt to change security permissions / ownership
- Check your antivirus
File Access Denied error message can cause problems on your PC, and in this article, we’ll show you how to fix the following issues:
- Windows 10 Access Denied administrator – Sometimes you might get this message even if you’re a computer administrator. To fix the problem, simply change the ownership over the problematic file and check if that solves the problem.
- Folder Access Denied You need permission to perform this action – This error can occur if you don’t have the necessary permissions to access the file. To fix this problem, you just have to give Full control to the desired account.
- Can’t delete file Access Denied – This error message can prevent you from deleting certain files. However, you should be able to fix this problem by using one of our solutions.
- File Access Denied copy paste, rename – Several users reported this error while copying or renaming their files. However, you can easily fix this problem by changing your security settings.
- File Access Denied external hard drive, USB – This issue is relatively common with external hard drives and USB devices, and if you’re having this problem, be sure to try some of our solutions.
- File Access Denied Cannot take ownership – Few users reported that they are unable to take ownership over the selected file. If you have this problem, you might want to try changing the ownership using Command Prompt.
- File Access Denied steam_api.dll, Google Chrome – Sometimes this error can appear while trying to run certain applications such as Steam or Chrome. If you’re having this problem, reinstall affected applications and check if that helps.
1. Change the owner of the directory
- First of all, find a file which can’t be accessed. Right click on the same and select Properties.
- Pick the Security tab and from Group and user names click on Administrator.
- Click the Advanced button at the bottom.
- Click on Change in the Owner section.
- In Select user or group window choose click on Advanced button.
- Then from Advanced Settings click on Find now button and select which group should have full file permission on your computer. Click OK to close this window.
- Up next navigate towards the Permissions tab and click on Add button.
- Click on Select a principal.
- Repeat Steps 5 and 6 to select the desired user or group.
- Set Type to Allow and check Full control option. Now click on OK to save changes.
After doing that you’ll have ownership over the selected file and you’ll be able to edit without any restrictions.
2. Check your antivirus
One more cause for this problem can be your antivirus. To fix it, users are suggesting to disable your antivirus and check if that helps. If not, you might have to uninstall your antivirus and check if that solves the problem.
If you’re using any antivirus solution and you want to completely remove it from your PC, be sure to check out this amazing list with the best uninstaller software you can use right now.
If removing the antivirus solves your problem, you might want to consider switching to a different antivirus. There are many great antivirus tools on the market, but if you want an antivirus that won’t interfere with your system, we suggest you try out ESET.
3. Change the security permission without changing the ownership
Sometimes in order to access a certain file, you don’t need to have ownership over it, you just have to have the appropriate permissions.
Changing the ownership on sensitive files can cause issues to appear, so it might be better just to change the security permissions.
If you’re getting File Access Denied error message, you can change your permissions without affecting the ownership by doing the following:
- Locate the file or directory that you can’t access, right click it and choose Properties from the menu.
- When the Properties window opens, navigate to the Security tab. Check the list of available users and groups and click the Edit button.
- Check if the account you want to change permissions for is on the list. If not, proceed to the next step. If the account is available, go to Step 7.
- Click the Add button.
- Select Users or Groups window will appear. If you know the exact name of the user or the name of the group, you can just enter it in Enter the object names to select field and click on Check Names and OK button.
If you don’t know the exact name, click on Advanced.
- Click on Find Now. You should now see the list of all available users and groups on your PC. Select the desired group or user from the Search results field and click on OK to save changes.
Now click the OK button once again. The desired account will now be added to the list, and you should be able to change its security permissions.
- Select the desired account from Group or user names section. Now in the Permissions section on the bottom select Full control in Allow column. Click Apply and OK to save changes.
After granting the Full control privileges to the selected user or a group, you should be able to access the problematic file or directory without any issues.
4. Use Command Prompt to change security permissions / ownership
If you’re having problems with File Access Denied error message, you might be able to solve the problem by using Command Prompt.
Previous solutions are effective, but they have multiple steps that you need to perform if you want to change ownership over a file or a directory.
On the other hand, Command Prompt allows you to change permissions and ownership in a matter of moments with just two commands. To fix this problem using Command Prompt, you just have to do the following:
- Press Windows Key + X to open Win + X menu and select Command Prompt (Admin) from the list. If Command Prompt isn’t available, you can use PowerShell (Admin) instead.
- When Command Prompt opens, you need to enter takeown /f <path_to_the_folder> /r /d y and press Enter. By running this command you’ll take ownership over the selected directory or file.
- Now enter icacls <path_to_the_folder> /grant administrators:F /T and press Enter to run it. After doing that, you’ll grant to Full control over the directory to the Administrators group. If you want to give Full control to any other user or a group, be sure to enter its name instead.
After running these two commands, you’ll take ownership and grant Full control to the selected user or a group. In order for this command to work, you need to replace <path_to_the_folder> with the exact location of the file or directory that is giving you File Access Denied error message.
As you can see, using Command Prompt to change ownership and security permissions is a lot faster, and it can be done in a matter of moments. However, this is an advanced solution, and in order to use it, you need to enter the commands correctly.
Well, that was all for now as you have learned how to gain full file permission on Windows 10.
Anyway, stay close for further Windows-related tips and tricks and share your thoughts with us by using the comments field from below in order to talk with us and with our readers.