If you are worried about renaming your files, we have got you covered. Today, we have come up with the best file rename software which you can use.
Sometimes, Windows users go online to source for files such as documents and images, for organizational purposes, these files are often renamed. It’s much easier to keep track of your files if they are named in a certain manner. And built-in tools might not be enough to do so.
However, we have successfully compiled a list of great file renaming software that will suit your needs perfectly.
Best file rename tools for PCs
1. EF Multi File Renamer
This Windows-Explorer-like software does just what’s advertised — it batch renames files, folders, or subfolders while offering quite a set of renaming options. You have an option to use predefined rules, but you can, of course, customize them to your liking.
- Clear and easy-to-grasp renaming rules.
- Renaming filter restriction to rename only files under certain criteria.
- Multilingual support.
- Recursive processing of subfolders and containing files.
- A full preview of new file names before you decide to rename them.
- Third-party plugins support.
- Not expensive but also not free.
2. 1-ABC.net File Renamer
1-ABC.net File Renamer is, like other premium or freemium tools that found their way on this list, more than a worthy acquisition. It checks all the boxes when it comes to batch file renaming and even brings support for external storage.
- Multilingual support (English, German, French, Hungarian, Catalon, and Polish).
- Intuitive interface.
- It allows us to save and restore renaming projects.
- Backup unmodified files before renaming them.
- Activity log for all your renaming actions
- Not official Windows 10 support
3. File Renamer Basic
- It supports regular expressions, EXIF, ID3 v1 and ID3 v2, saved profiles for tasks repeated, renaming lists and tag editing.
- Excellent help files.
- License: Free (Limited features).
- It has an interface that is well designed.
- A solid file for renaming.
- Subfolder, Undo and logging features are removed from the free version.
- No regular expression information.
4. Bulk Rename Utility
This file renaming software is very easy to use. It has a great interface. It is very powerful and highly functional.
- You can auto date
- Adding of prefix or suffix is allowed
- Moving or copying of files to other locations can be done.
- Regular expressions.
- Custom file formats.
- EFIX tags.
- ID3 v 1 tags
- License: Free (Private/ Educational use).
- Very powerful, lots of features, it is a very good renaming software.
- It has a cluttered interface and lacks ID 3 v 2 support.
5. Advanced Renamer
This tool has an attractive interface and renames multiple files and folders with renaming methods.
- It has a picture preview.
- The file change list is supported.
- It has good help files.
- It supports regular expressions.
- License: Free
- Easy to use.
- Supports just a little of EXIF and ID 3 tags.
- It supports Metadata tags for various file types.
- It can modify file properties and meta tags.
- License: Free
- It is the most powerful file renaming software and has supported a lot of features.
- Harder to use than other file renaming software.
- It is not good for casual users.
- ReNamer has a good interface.
- It supports a few different metatags and it is very powerful.
- It has the PascalScript option for power users.
- No installation is required.
- A help guide is not efficient
- The website might be malicious.
This is a very simple program with just a few features.
- It has an intuitive interface.
- You can effectively change cases and do some basic cropping.
- It supports ID 3 tags and regular expressions.
- It has less functionality than other file renaming software.
In conclusion, renaming of documents, images or photos downloaded online before saving on your computer or phone is very important. Most of the software we mentioned above is easy and free to use. Select the one most suitable to fit your needs.
If you have any other questions or suggestions, don’t hesitate to leave them in the comments section below and will surely check them out.
What is the fastest way to rename a file in Windows 10?
You can rename a file quickly by simply selecting it and pressing the F2 key on your keyboard. Type the new file name in the field, hit Enter, and that’s it.
Can I rename multiple files in Windows 10?
Yes, you can rename multiple files in Windows 10, but the output result will be somewhat limited.
Can I change multiple file extensions at once in Windows 10?
Although you can toggle the visibility of file extensions in Windows 10’s file explorer, you won’t be able to change extensions in bulk by means of renaming documents. You can only do so with specialized third-party software solutions.
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published in November 2017 and has been since revamped and updated in March 2020 for freshness, accuracy, and comprehensiveness.