- Specialized file rename tools can come in really handy, especially if you discover there are certain folders that you can't rename on your PC
- Improper file names (e.g. forcing unaccepted characters, long file names) can generate a lot of trouble, rendering documents unusable
- You can use file rename software from our list below if you don't know how to rename multiple files simultaneously on Windows 10
If you are worried about renaming your files, we have got you covered. Today, we have come up with the best file rename software which you can use.
Sometimes, Windows users go online to source files such as documents and images, for organizational purposes, these files are often renamed. It’s much easier to keep track of your files if they are named in a certain manner. And built-in tools might not be enough to do so.
However, we have successfully compiled a list of great file renaming software that will suit your needs perfectly.
Best file rename tools for PCs
This solution respects its name and provides users with cutting-edge organizing services. Developed by the leading company Sorcim, the software comes with a convenient user experience and useful features.
You just have to perform 3 steps in order to restructure PC data and rename files in a bulk. Hence the process entails adding files or folders to rename at once, select the needed changes of your files, apply changes for all, see the preview, and enjoy the results.
- Multi-purpose tools (Cloud renamer, Music fixer, Copy or move files)
- 12 rules of file renaming such as change suffix/ prefix, trim text, add asceding or descending files.
- OneDrive, Google Drive, Amazon S3 cloud renamer
- MP3 songs renamer by music tags
- Support for Windows 7-10 or XP-Vista
- Free download
This Windows-Explorer-like software does just what’s advertised — it batch renames files, folders, or subfolders while offering quite a set of renaming options. You have an option to use predefined rules, but you can, of course, customize them to your liking.
- Clear and easy-to-grasp renaming rules.
- Renaming filter restriction to rename only files under certain criteria.
- Multilingual support.
- Recursive processing of subfolders and containing files.
- A full preview of new file names before you decide to rename them.
- Third-party plugins support.
- Not expensive but also not free.
1-ABC.net File Renamer is, like other premium or freemium tools that found their way on this list, more than a worthy acquisition. It checks all the boxes when it comes to batch file renaming and even brings support for external storage.
- Multilingual support (English, German, French, Hungarian, Catalon, and Polish).
- Intuitive interface.
- It allows us to save and restore renaming projects.
- Backup unmodified files before renaming them.
- Activity log for all your renaming actions
- Not official Windows 10 support
This software can be used effectively to rename multiple files and images. It has a great interface that contains file listing and a directory tree.
- It supports regular expressions, EXIF, ID3 v1 and ID3 v2, saved profiles for tasks repeated, renaming lists and tag editing.
- Excellent help files.
- License: Free (Limited features).
- It has an interface that is well designed.
- A solid file for renaming.
- Subfolder, Undo and logging features are removed from the free version.
- No regular expression information.
This file renaming software is very easy to use. It has a great interface. It is very powerful and highly functional.
- You can auto date
- Adding of prefix or suffix is allowed
- Moving or copying of files to other locations can be done.
- Regular expressions.
- Custom file formats.
- EFIX tags.
- ID3 v 1 tags
- License: Free (Private/ Educational use).
- Very powerful, lots of features, it is a very good renaming software.
- It has a cluttered interface and lacks ID 3 v 2 support.
This tool has an attractive interface and renames multiple files and folders with renaming methods.
- It has a picture preview.
- The file change list is supported.
- It has good help files.
- It supports regular expressions.
- License: Free
- Easy to use.
- Supports just a little of EXIF and ID 3 tags.
This software is very good for renaming files. It can offer all the standard functionalities you may need, including replacements, adding prefixes or suffixes, removing the content of brackets, numbering, and more.
- ReNamer has a good interface.
- It supports a few different metatags and it is very powerful.
- It has the PascalScript option for power users.
- No installation is required.
- A help guide is not efficient
- The website might be malicious.
This is a very simple program with just a few features.
- It has an intuitive interface.
- You can effectively change cases and do some basic cropping.
- It supports ID 3 tags and regular expressions.
- It has less functionality than other file renaming software.
In conclusion, renaming documents, images or photos downloaded online before saving on your computer or phone is very important. Most of the software we mentioned above is easy and free to use. Select the one most suitable to fit your needs.
If you have any other questions or suggestions, don’t hesitate to leave them in the comments section below, and will surely check them out.
Frequently Asked Questions
You can rename a file quickly by simply selecting it and pressing the F2 key on your keyboard. Type the new file name in the field, hit Enter, and that’s it.
Yes, you can rename multiple files in Windows 10, but the output result will be somewhat limited.
Although you can toggle the visibility of file extensions in Windows 10’s file explorer, you won’t be able to change extensions in bulk by means of renaming documents. You can only do so with specialized third-party software solutions.