- System files are critical components of the operating system. If they are modified, moved or deleted, Windows will sooner or later show a file system error.
- File System Error 1073741515, also know as error 0xC0000135, is associated with registry issues and missing dll files. Use two tools that we recommend to make sure you fix it for good.
- If you want to learn more about the Registry and its impact on the OS, feel free to check out our useful Windows Registry section.
- Is Windows giving you a hard time? We got you covered with extensive instruction that you can find in the Windows 10 Errors Hub.
File system error 1073741515, which translates to error type 0xC0000135, describes the inability of an executable program to run due to missing essential components, or wrongly configured system files.
These faulty system files or missing components create Registry errors within your Windows operating system, which result in system crashes, slow PC performance, program malfunctions and more.
What causes Registry errors?
Registry errors occur mainly when new applications are installed over existing ones without completely uninstalling the previous one and its components.
What causes File system error – 1073741515 in Windows 10?
- Malfunctioning Hardware
- Errors in Windows Explorer
- Malicious Software (viruses, adware, and spyware)
- Registry Errors
What are the symptoms of File system error – 1073741515?
- Hypertext Transfer Protocol (HTTP) Errors
- Abrupt shutdown problems
- Blue Screen of Death (BSOD)
- Input/output (IO) error
- .exe files do not run
- Disabled UA controls
How can I fix the File system error 1073741515 in Windows 10?
- Download Restoro.
- Install the program and launch it.
- Click the Scan button and wait for it to complete.
- After completing the scan, click Fix Errors.
- Restart your computer.
- Launch the software initiating the File system error 1073741515 and the error should be gone.
Restoro is a computer repair tool that effectively scans and fixes many common issues including corrupted or missing registry files.
By fixing registry issues, it also gets rid of File system error 1073741515 and prevents other related issues from occurring.
- Download Malwarebytes.
- Follow the prompts to install it on your computer.
- In the anti-malware software interface, click on the Scan button to initiate a quick or full system scan and follow the on-screen prompts.
- After the system scan is complete, check the Select all box.
- Click Remove to delete all threats on your computer.
After using Restoro to fix registry related issues, perform a quick scan with Malwarebytes anti-malware tool to ensure that File system error 1073741515 does not occur again.
To make use of Malwarebytes to remove various kinds of spyware, malware, and viruses, follow the above mentioned instructions.
Malwarebytes optimizes your computer by removing all traces of malware, adware, and spyware to ensure a smooth running of your machine.
MalwarebytesProtect your PC from harmful ransomware and spyware attacks.
Having completed the quick scan, launch your installed applications, Windows Troubleshooter, and Administrative tools and everything should now work fine.
The File system error 1073741515 you have been experiencing on your Windows 10PC should be gone.
- Download Windows Repair Pro.
- Look in the newly unzipped folder created in your desired location and open the folder tagged files (…windows repair v…files).
- In the files folder, locate fix_exe_hijack.inf file.
- Right-click on the file and select Install.
- After installing the .inf file, restart your PC.
- Alternatively, install the .exe file.
- Launch and click on the Repairs – Main tab and then Preset: All Repairs
- Ensure that all boxes for All Repairs are checked. Then click Start Repairs.
- User must be an Administrator to run the repairs.
- Do not cancel the process, wait for the repair to run its course.
- Restart your computer.
On restarting your PC, you should now be able to open applications and administrative tools without experiencing the File System Error 1073741515.
- Hold Windows Key + S.
- Type Settings in the search box and click on it.
- Click on Update and Security.
- Select Recovery.
- Under Reset this PC, click Get Started to initiate the reset/refresh.
- Take note of the prompt as they appear and choose whether to keep your personal files or erase them.
- After completing the refresh, your PC configurations should now be set to default and all registry pile-ups cleaned up.
- Re-install your applications and launch them.
- The File System Error – 1073741515 should be gone.
- Also, try launching Administrative tools and Windows troubleshooter, everything should now work fine.
Performing a PC refresh or reset on Windows 10 will basically reinstall the operating system, remove all third-party applications while leaving all personal data unaffected.
In case you have subject-related questions or suggestions, feel free to post them in the comments section below.
FAQ: Learn more about file system error
- How do I fix a file system error?
You can fix a file system error by running chkdsk in Command Prompt, performing a malware scan or resetting your Windows.
- What causes file system errors?
Most of the times, these errors are caused by the disk drive. It might have bad sectors, it might be malfunctioning and starting to loose data. Perform software checks first to eliminate issues caused by programs.
- Will a system restore fix corrupted files?
If the corrupted files are part of Windows, then performing a system restore will help clear the issues. If the corrupted files are part of a 3rd party software, you just completely remove it and reinstall it.
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published in April 2018 and has been since revamped and updated in August 2020 for freshness, accuracy, and comprehensiveness.