Firefox prevented this site from opening a pop-up window
Pop-ups are small windows that open from a browser when you open a website page. Pop-up windows are often ads that pop out on website pages. As such, some browsers include built-in pop-up blockers that stamp out pop-up ads. The Firefox browser includes a built-in pop-up blocker that provides a notification stating, “Firefox prevented this site from opening a pop-up window.”
However, pop-up windows can also be a more essential addition to some websites. For example, banking sites utilize pop-up windows to provide further transaction details. So, sometimes you might need pop-up windows to open. This is how you can disable Firefox’s pop-up notification so that pop-ups still open.
Firefox prevent sites from opening new windows [FIX]
- Enable Pop-up Windows in Firefox
- Add Websites to the Exceptions List
- Switch off Pop-up Blocker Extensions
- Turn Off Third-Party Toolbar Pop-up Blockers
1. Enable Pop-up Windows in Firefox
Firefox includes a Block pop-up option that’s selected by default. You can deselect that setting to turn off the Firefox pop-up notification bar. This is how you can configure that option in Firefox.
- Click the Open menu button to expand Firefox’s primary menu.
- Select Options to open the tab shown directly below.
- Click Privacy on the left of the tab, and then scroll down to the Block pop-up option shown directly below.
- Now deselect the Block pop-up setting.
2. Add Websites to the Exceptions List
Deselecting that option will fully turn off Firefox’s pop-up blocker. Alternatively, you can keep the a pop-up blocker on but add some sites you need pop-ups for to an exceptions list. To do that, press the Block pop-up setting’s Exceptions button to open the window shown directly below.
There enter a website URL in the text box and press Allow to add it to the exceptions list. Then press the Save Changes button to save the exceptions list. To erase a site from the exceptions list, select it and press the Remove Website button.
3. Switch off Pop-up Blocker Extensions
Deselecting the Block pop-up does not always ensure that the pop-up windows open. Third-party pop-up blocker extensions can still block pop-ups in Firefox. Thus, you might still need to switch off some Firefox extensions to enable pop-up windows. You can switch off Firefox extensions as follows.
- Press the Open menu button at the top right of the browser.
- Click Add-ons to open the tab shown directly below.
- Click Extensions on the left of the tab to open an add-on list.
- Then you can press the Disable buttons for extension to switch them off.
4. Turn Off Third-Party Toolbar Pop-up Blockers
Third-party Firefox toolbars also block pop-up windows. The Google, AOL and Yahoo browser toolbars are three that include pop-up blockers. You don’t usually need to remove those toolbars to enable website pop-up windows. The toolbars usually include a pop-up button that you can press to turn their pop-up blockers on or off.
When you’ve turned off the pop-up blockers, a few pop-up ad windows will also probably open from Firefox. So it’s probably better to add sites you need to retain pop-ups on to the exceptions list instead of switching the browser’s pop-up blocker off.
RELATED STORIES TO CHECK OUT:
- How to fix Firefox issues on Windows 10
- Firefox won’t run with VPN? Here’s how to fix it in 6 simple steps
- This site is not secure: How to fix this error in Chrome, Edge, Firefox, Opera and IE
The PDF format is one of the most popular file formats in the world. That’s why it is absolutely essential to have an excellent PDF […]
Even if you live in one of the most developed countries in the world, where everything seems to work perfectly, computer privacy is often under […]
The thought of producing EDM (electronic dance music) may have crossed your mind several times especially if you are a content creator, budding music artist […]