How to fix a corrupted mouse cursor in Windows 10, 8, 7
Corrupted mouse cursor fixes for Windows PCs
- Select the Display Pointer Trails Option
- Switch Off Windows Aero
- Turn Off the Screensaver
- Disconnect the Secondary VDU
- Move the Cursor Quickly Between Both VDUs
- Select Duplicate on the Project Sidebar
Some users have stated on forums that their mouse cursors get corrupted in Windows. A corrupted cursor turns into a line or bar and doesn’t really look much like a cursor at all (a little like the one shown in the snapshot directly below).
Mouse cursors tend to get corrupted for users utilizing dual monitors with AMD graphics card laptops or desktops. This issue mainly occurs when using a single-display system. However, if you’re experiencing corrupt mouse cursor on the second monitor, you can use this guide to fix them as well. These are a few resolutions that can fix a corrupted mouse pointer in Windows 10, 8 or 7.
Solutions to fix corrupted mouse pointer
1. Select the Display Pointer Trails Option
- Some users have fixed their corrupted cursors by selecting the mouse pointer trail option. To select that option, open Run with the Windows key + R keyboard shortcut.
- Enter ‘Control Panel’ in the Open text box, and press the OK button.
- Click Mouse to open the window shown directly below.
- Select the Pointer Options tab.
- Then click the Display pointer trails option.
- To remove the trail effect from the cursor, drag the Display pointer trails bar to short at the far left.
- Click the Apply button.
- Then press the OK button to close window.
2. Switch Off Windows Aero
Switching the Aero effect off in Windows 7 is another potential fix for a corrupted cursor. You can disable the Aero transparency in Win 7 by right-clicking the desktop and selecting Personalize. Then click Window Color, and deselect the Enable transparency option. In addition, select a new Windows 7 theme in the Basic And High Contrast Themes category.
3. Turn Off the Screensaver
Some users have fixed corrupted cursors by turning the screensaver off. That resolution might not work for everybody, but it’s worth a try. You can turn off the screensaver in Windows 10 as follows.
- Click the Type here to search button on the taskbar to open the Cortana app.
- Enter ‘screen saver’ in Cortana’s search box.
- Then you can select Change screen saver to open the window in the shot below.
- Click the screensaver drop-down menu and select None.
- Select the Apply option, and press the OK button to close the window.
4. Disconnect the Secondary VDU
Mouse cursors usually get corrupted on dual monitor setups. As such, disconnecting the second VDU (Visual Display Unit) will probably fix the corrupted cursor if you have a dual monitor setup. Alternatively, you can turn off your second VDU with the display settings in Windows or via the Project sidebar.
5. Move the Cursor Quickly Between Both VDUs
Some users have also confirmed that moving the cursor quickly between their two VDUs fixes the cursor. So move the cursor rapidly back and forth between the two VDUs in your dual monitor setup to see if that has any effect. Moving the cursor over the right side of the taskbar can also fix the issue.
6. Select Duplicate on the Project Sidebar
This is another fix that a few users have stated fixed a corrupted cursor for them. If you currently have a dual monitor setup configured with the Extend display mode, press the Windows key + P hotkey to open the sidebar shown below. Select the Duplicate display mode setting mode there. Then select Extend again to go back to the extended display mode.
Those are some of the resolutions confirmed to fix corrupted cursors. Aside from those resolutions, reinstalling the mouse driver or updating ATI graphics card driver might also fix a corrupted mouse pointer. If you have another corrupted cursor fix, feel free to share it below.
RELATED STORIES TO CHECK OUT:
- FIX: Arc Touch Mouse Pointer Issues on Windows 10, 8.1, 7
- Fix: Mouse keeps clicking by itself in Windows 10
- Fix: Bluetooth mouse not working in Windows 10
Microsoft has been investing a lot of time and effort into their Chromium-based browser. More so lately, when Chromium Edge got so many new features. […]
Plex Media Server is a popular local streaming software available for multiple platforms and allows the users to stream contents from their local server like […]