- The display adapter code 31 error prevents your device from loading the monitor driver.
- It could only be a temporary Device Manager issue, but if it's not, looking into the full solutions below should help.
- Reinstalling the Display adapters drivers is the first method that you can try.
The graphics device driver error code 31 prevents Windows from loading the drivers required to load a device (monitor). This error code is a Device Manager issue and it could be due to a temporary problem with the system app.
While the error can truly be frustrating, it is actually an easy issue to fix. All you need to do is to follow the instructions in this guide.
What causes graphics device driver error code 31?
The causes of the graphics device driver error code 31 are within a close circle. Below are some of the well-known ones:
Moreover, the error can be displayed in different variations such as the following:
- This device is not working properly because Windows cannot load the drivers required for this device. (code 31) The driver trying to start is not the same as the driver for the posted display adapter. – Just as it is stated in the error message, we will have to update the display adapter so Windows recognizes it.
- Microsoft basic display adapter code 31 – Besides updating the graphics card, we can also update the OS.
- There is a problem with Microsoft basic display adapter device. For more information, search for ‘graphics device driver error code 31’. – Driver error can be avoided if you keep your drivers up-to-date.
How can I fix the graphics device driver error code 31?
Before proceeding to the technical fixes below, we will advise that you:
- Restart your PC and check if the issue is still there. This is because the problem might just be down to glitches with the Device Manager.
If the restart does not resolve the issue, you can proceed to the fixes below.
How we test, review and rate?
We have worked for the past 6 months on building a new review system on how we produce content. Using it, we have subsequently redone most of our articles to provide actual hands-on expertise on the guides we made.
For more details you can read how we test, review, and rate at WindowsReport.
1. Update your PC
- Press the Windows key + I to open the Settings app and select the Update & Security option.
- Click the Check for updates button.
- Finally, install all available updates.
Windows updates are essential in keeping your PC running smoothly. Also, they help to install driver updates as part of optional updates.
2. Reinstall the graphics driver
1. Press the Windows key + X and select Device Manager.
2. Click the arrow next to Display adapters, right-click the driver there and select Properties.
3. Choose the Driver tab at the top and click the Uninstall Device button.
4. Finally, click the Uninstall button to confirm.
5. Restart your PC.
Another effective fix for the Windows cannot load the graphics card drivers required for this device(code 31) on Windows 10 is to reinstall your drivers. This is because there might be a problem with the current driver on your PC.
You can also copy your driver’s name from the Properties window and download the latest version from the manufacturer’s website.
Alternatively, if you want to get the latest driver versions automatically, we suggest you try a reliable driver updater tool to perform this action.
Outbyte Driver UpdaterSave precious time and effort by safely updating all your drivers with this simple tool, and get rid of any driver-related errors.
3. Run the Hardware and Devices troubleshooter
- Press the Windows key, type cmd, and click Run as administrator under Command Prompt.
- Copy and paste the command below and hit Enter to run it:
msdt.exe -id DeviceDiagnostic
- Wait for the scan to finish.
The Hardware and Devices troubleshooter has proved effective in fixing so many hardware issues. If you still can’t fix the graphics driver device code 31 error with your GPU, Outbyte can help point to the components causing the problem and the potential fixes.
Those are some of the few resolutions for the graphics device driver error code 31 error. If the issue still does not go away, you might need to perform a system restore on Windows 10. This will remove all the changes made to your PC for some time.
Also, if you are looking for a dedicated guide on how to reinstall a device on Device Manager, you can check this detailed guide.
Please, be free to let us the solution that got the issue resolved for you in the comments below.