Here’s how to fix Windows 10 error 0x80071a91
Windows 10 is one of the popular operating systems in the world today. However, just like every other OS, it also has its own myriads of issues. In this guide, we’re going to talk about error 0x80071a91 and how to fix it.
Windows 10 error 0x80071a91 is an error which occurs on mostly Windows 10 PC after recent upgrades from lower Windows versions such as Windows 7 and Windows 8. Error 0x80071a91 prevents users from downloading and installing Windows updates. We could say that Windows 10 inherited this error code from Windows 8.1. As we already reported in a previous post, error 0x80071a91 is one of the most frequent Windows 8.1 error codes.
Inability to install latest Windows patches expose Windows PC to latest threats and security exploits; hence, making this error problem a necessity to solve.
Corrupt system drivers, corrupt Windows OS installation, and Windows Updates issues are some of the factors responsible for triggering Windows 10 error 0x80071a91. Therefore, we have enlisted working solutions geared towards fixing the error problem once and for all.
How do I fix Windows 10 error 0x80071a91?
Run a full system scan
Malwares and viruses can creep upon your Windows PC and corrupt important system drivers; hence, you experience Windows 10 error 0x80071a91 problem. We highly recommend that you use MalwarebytesAdwCleaner-a malware removal tool to remove all malwares from your Windows PC.
Follow these steps download, install, and use MalwarebytesAdwCleaner on your Windows PC:
- Download MalwarebytesAdwCleaner here.
- Double-click on the download exe file and follow the prompts to complete installation.
- After installation, right-click on the MalwarebytesAdwCleaner icon, and then select “Run as administrator” to open the program.
- In the MalwarebytesAdwCleaner display, click on the “Scan” button to commence the scanning operation.
- After the completed scan, click on the “Clean” button.
- Now, click “OK” when prompted to reboot your PC to complete cleaning.
On the other hand, you can use other software packages such as Bitdefender (World’s Nr.1), Bullguard, Windows built-in antivirus-Windows Defender, and ZemanaAntiMalware. You can use any of these programs to remove viruses and malware from your PC.
Install Microsoft Hotfix
Some Windows users were able to fix Windows 10 error 0x80071a91 by using Microsoft Hotfix.
Here’s how to do this:
- Go to the Microsoft Support link.
- Now, Click on Hotfix Download option.
- After download, Install the Hotfix by following the prompts
- Restart your PC afterwards.
However, if you are still experiencing the problem, try the next solution.
Run the Windows Update troubleshooter
Newer version of Windows 10 or Windows 10 Creators Update comes with Windows Update troubleshooting tool. Since, Windows 10 error 0x80071a91 is related to Windows update; therefore you need to use Windows Update troubleshooter.
Although, you may not be sure about how to use this troubleshooter in Windows 10, just follow the instructions below:
- Go to Settings
- Head over to Update & Security > Troubleshoot
- Find Windows Update, and click Run the troubleshooter. Follow theon-screen instructions and then restart your computer
Reset Windows Updates components
Disclaimer: This solution contains steps that are part of modifying the registry. Please note that serious problems may occur if you do this incorrectly. Hence, follow these steps correctly, and carefully.
Here’s how to manually reset the Windows Updates Components:
- Right click Start
- Select Command Prompt (Admin)
- Click Yes when asked for permissions
- Stop the BITS, Cryptographic, MSI Installer, and Windows Update Services by typing the following commands at a command prompt:
- net stop wuauserv
- net stop cryptSvc
- net stop bits
- net stop msiserver (Press Enter after each command you type)
- Rename the SoftwareDistribution and Catroot2 folder by typing the commands below in the Command Prompt then press Enter after each command you type:
- Ren C:WindowssoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old
- Ren C:WindowsSystem32catroot2 Catroot2.old
- Restart the BITS, Cryptographic, MSI Installer, and Windows Update Services by typing the following commands in Command prompt:
- net start wuauserv
- net start cryptSvc
- net start bits
- net start msiserver
- Type Exit in the Command Prompt to close it
Afterwards, rerun Windows Updates and install latest updates.
On the other hand, some Windows users recounted getting Access Denied prompts when trying the phases above. Here’s what to do if your access is denied:
- Log in first as administrator or use administrator user account
- Stop the windows Update service and try to rename SoftwareDistribution folder
- Right click Start
- Select Run
- Type services.msc and press OK or enter
- Scroll down and locate Windows Update service
- Right click and select Properties
- Stop the service
Follow the steps above so as to reset Windows Update Components
After completing the process, go to “Services” window again, now start Windows Update service, and then restart the computer.
Note: We highly recommend that you check “Give me updates” menu for other Microsoft products when using Windows update option. Windows Updates downloads and installs updates required to run Windows efficiently.
Perform a Clean Boot
Clean boot starts up your Windows PC without software conflicts or unauthorized program running in the background. Sometimes, software conflicts cause Windows 10 error 0x80071a91; therefore, you need to clean boot.
Here’s how to do this:
- Go to the search box, and then type “msconfig”
- Select System Configuration to open the dialog box as below:
- Find Services tab, and then select Hide all Microsoft services box
- Click Disable all
- Go to Startup tab
- Click Open Task Manager
- Right-click each startup item and then click Disable.
- Close Task Manager > click OK > restart the computer.
Run System Restore in safe mode
Here’s how to run system restore:
- Shut down your PC and turn it on again.
- Navigate to the “Run in Safe Mode” option and hit “Enter”.
- Go to Start > Type “system restore” and then hit “Enter”.
- Follow the prompts to revert back to a certain restore point.
- Wait for the process to complete, and then reboot.
Note: Pinpoint the restore point date before the error 0x80071a91 display. System restore does not affect any of your documents, personal data, and documents.
Roll Back to Windows 8.1/7
Latest upgrade from Windows 7/8/8.1 to Windows 10 can also cause Windows 10 error 0x80071a91. Therefore, you might want to downgrade your Windows OS back to its preceding OS.
Note: However, you may have to enter ‘Safe Mode’ in order to downgrade.
Here is how to roll back your Windows OS:
- Press the Windows Key and “I” without quotes to open Settings.
- Go to the Update & security menu.
- Select the Recovery tab.
- Click the button “Get started under the option Go back to Windows 7/8/8.1.
- Follow the prompts to finish the downgrade processes.
Note: An intact Windows.old file (stored in C:Windows.old) is the important precondition for the downgrade.
- READ ALSO:How to fix error 80070436 in Windows
Conclusively any of the aforementioned solutions should be able to fix Windows 10 error 0x80071a91 problem. However, if you still experience this issue, we will recommend that you consider installing Windows 10 OS afresh.
Have you encountered Windows 10 error 0x80071a91? Did you try any of our fixes above? We do appreciate it if you share your experience with us. Let us know in the comment section below. 🙂
RELATED STORIES TO CHECK OUT:
- How to fix Windows update error code 643
- Full Fix: Update error 0x80080008 on Windows 10, 8.1, 7
- Error 0x800F0923 blocks Windows 10 updates [FIX]
Here we have it folks, Dangerous Driving is out now. Brought to you by Three Fields Entertainment, a team formed with former members of Criterion […]