Fix HP driver error 9996 on Windows PCs
If an update from HP cannot be installed on your Windows 10 computer, you are most likely receiving the system error 9996. This alert is displayed by default and indicates a general problem that occurred during the update process.
So, based only on this error code is quite complicated to isolate the actual problem and find the right troubleshooting solutions. That’s why, we are here to assist you. In this article, we will try to find the best methods that you can use to address the HP driver error 9996 issue.
How to fix the HP Driver error 9996 on Windows 10
- Make sure you have the right software installed on your computer.
- Your computer might not meet certain system requirements.
- Update certain drivers on your computer.
- Uninstall and manually reinstall outdated drivers.
- Apply Windows 10 system updates that might be waiting for your approval.
- Remove a recently installed Windows 10 system update.
1. Make sure you have the right software installed on your computer
You can receive the HP Driver error 9996 while an update is being installed, if certain hardware or software are not set up on your Windows 10 machine.
For example, if Microsoft .NET is missing, you will get the 9996 error code. The same will happen if an update for an HP keyboard will be initiated on a system that uses a non-HP keyboard (you replaced the original HP keyboard – or any other HP manufactured hardware component – with a new one).
Thus, you should first verify if the required programs for the actual HP update are installed on your computer. Also, if a hardware component is missing, then most likely you won’t have to install the particular update package, situation during which the HP Driver error 9996 problem is not really an actual problem at all – the update is not needed on your computer.
2. Your computer might not meet certain system requirements
The same error code can occur if your computer is running low on memory – for example, if the update has 2 GB in size but on your computer you have only 1 GB free disk space. Use this guide to free up space on your computer.
That’s why, at this point, you need to make sure that these system requirements are not the reason why you experience the HTC Driver error 9996.
Do note that system requirements might include software aspects such as the latest version of a certain program. For example, if Microsoft .Net v2.0 is required but your PC is running on Microsoft .Net v1.0.
3. Update certain drivers on your computer
If you are getting the HP error code 9996 while trying to install an update, that’s related with a certain HP driver. You should first update this faulty software that runs on your computer. This process can be completed by following:
- On your computer right-click on the Windows Start icon.
- From the list that shows up, click on the Device Manager entry.
- In the Device Manager window find the driver that must be updated.
- Right-click on this driver and select ‘Update’.
- Wait while the flashing process is automatically completed and when done reboot your PC.
4. Uninstall and manually reinstall outdated drivers
Sometimes it is better to manually reinstall the drivers that are not running properly – especially if the method explained above isn’t working. So, here is what you need to follow:
- Access Device Manager as explained above.
- Then, find the driver that must be updated.
- Right-click on this driver and instead of ‘Update’ choose ‘Uninstall’.
- Then, access your manufacturer website and download the driver package.
- Install this software by running the executable file and by following on-screen prompts.
- That should be all.
Download TweakBit’s Driver Updater Tool (approved by Microsoft and Norton) to keep your drivers updated automatically. This tool will prevent file loss and avoid permanent damage to your PC.
Disclaimer: some features are not free.
5. Install pending Windows 10 system updates
In some situations, if your Windows 10 system is not properly updated you might receive different system errors, including the HP error code 9996 issue. That’s why, you need to make sure that there isn’t any system update that’s waiting for your approval:
- Press the Win+I keyboard hotkeys.
- From System Settings click on Update & Security.
- Switch to Update tab.
- If a firmware patch is available, install it – just follow on-screen prompts as the update will be then automatically flashed.
- In the end, reboot your computer.
6. Remove a recently installed Windows 10 system update
If you received the HP Driver error 9996 after installing a new Windows 10 update, a good idea might be to revert the update process. You can uninstall certain Windows patches by following:
- Press Win+I keyboard keys and select Update & Security.
- Switch to Windows Update Tab.
- From there click on the View installed update history link.
- A list of recently installed patches will be now displayed.
- Click on Uninstall updates and choose the firmware package you want to remove from your PC.
- Reboot your computer in the end.
The methods explained above should help you fix the HP Driver error 9996. When this error pops on the screen, you shouldn’t panic. Probably the actual HP update is not really needed on your computer, so you can just ignore the error code.
If you have questions or if you want to learn other related stuffs, contact our team. Ycan do it without hassle through the comments field from below.
RELATED STORIES TO CHECK OUT:
- Fix HP Accelerometer error in Windows 10 with these quick solutions
- FIX: HP LaserJet p1102w not printing USB
- FIX: HP laptop is not connecting to Wi-Fi in Windows 10
In order to design every aspect of a great looking bag or backpack, you will need to be able to design shapes (2D panels). These […]
There’s no denying that Power BI offers a lot of features. Still, many users need even more functions. For example, people want to disable all […]